Author Topic: Coming off klonopin  (Read 3415 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Coming off klonopin
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 12:12:52 am »
It's not the first drug I kicked, quitting smoking was just as bad but for different reasons. The only way to quit that was to go cold. I had withdrawals for about six months, in one form or another, with cravings, and they were relentless. I understand most people who use tobacco feel miserable and want to quit but it's just too damn hard. At least with tapering benzos, it gives you breaks in between where you feel ok but I do recall those random moments of dread and terror. Scary stuff. More than once I had to sit down and keep repeating it will blow over, it's just how the withdrawals feel, keep sticking it out. And I've had no cravings since July, the need to dose feels like a foreign concept at this point. I'll take what's required but it doesn't make me feel good. I feel fortunate to have my mind in one piece again and I hope everybody will have the same benefit. I also had support from my grandparents and my primary care doctor, everybody's been really cool. With the exception of my psychiatrist, I have a new one from six months ago and she does not know anything about this because I feel these doctors are to blame for over-prescribing and their lack of knowledge of the ashton manual. I have a very large supply of excess pills, my prescription is still currently 0.5mg three times a day. It has to be more than 500, maybe even 1,000 but I ignore them because it does not interest me.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »
Whoever said the last 1/2 milligram is the worst was correct. It requires half the dose for twice as long, normally I was able to come down 0.1 every week or so. With this situation it's been 0.05 every two weeks. The withdrawals for the current cycle (0.2) and the last one (0.25) have been pretty bad, mostly related to restless leg syndrome which can be very painful and a good reason to lose several hours of sleep each night. It's been a week on 0.2 and the rls subsided last night, up until then it's been lousy.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 02:46:24 pm »
Hi [...],

I've heard that too, the last is the worst, but then comes the jump and from what I've seen, its no picnic either.  I didn't taper, I quit cold turkey so I know about the big jump.  :D

I'm sorry to hear about your restless leg, I've heard that's miserable, I'm glad you had a break last night.  You're doing great though, you're almost there and once off of the drug, you'll begin the real healing, and boy is it great to finally get there!

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 02:45:12 pm »
Hi [...],

I've heard that too, the last is the worst, but then comes the jump and from what I've seen, its no picnic either.  I didn't taper, I quit cold turkey so I know about the big jump.  :D

I'm sorry to hear about your restless leg, I've heard that's miserable, I'm glad you had a break last night.  You're doing great though, you're almost there and once off of the drug, you'll begin the real healing, and boy is it great to finally get there!

The restless leg symptoms went on for more than two weeks with no end in sight. Some nights were very painful and I couldn't get to sleep until after midnight. I was miserable. This doesn't sound like the withdrawal symptoms from a benzo taper because it would not go away, normally whatever withdrawals I was having would disappear in a week and I would take another week off before tapering again. I did a fair amount of research the other day and as it turns out, there was a substantial report about how Seroquel causes restless leg syndrome. And it's not just that, Klonopin relieves rls so if I had to guess what's been going on, the two drugs were fighting each other and now that I'm taking such a small dose, the Seroquel is winning.

Normally I take 300mg xr and 50mg regular every night, I cut the 50mg down to zero and wasn't able to get any sleep but the symptoms disappeared. From there I cut the 50mg into four quarters, took one then waited and within an hour I was asleep and the problem was gone. So the plan now is to postpone the next Klonopin taper by a few days (I was supposed to taper again today) and wait until the lower dose of Seroquel balances out. I feel mostly fine this morning, just grogginess while waking up but otherwise in good health.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 03:36:25 pm »
Great job of diagnosing your restless legs, good grief, I'm so glad you figured it out and that you got some sleep.  I think it's an excellent idea to hold off on your cut, good plan. 

This process teaches us to be very careful about what we put into our bodies, I know I've become a lot more discriminating, I don't think we can go wrong advocating for ourselves when it comes to our medical needs.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 05:27:53 pm »
Great job of diagnosing your restless legs, good grief, I'm so glad you figured it out and that you got some sleep.  I think it's an excellent idea to hold off on your cut, good plan. 

This process teaches us to be very careful about what we put into our bodies, I know I've become a lot more discriminating, I don't think we can go wrong advocating for ourselves when it comes to our medical needs.

I know, this year I quit vaping and gave up all caffeine (but I still drink decaf coffee) and I've learned that it's best to do one thing at a time. No point in tapering off the klonopin during the middle of lowering the seroquel because anything could go wrong and I can't do anything about it if I don't know what's causing it. Changing one variable at a time is best. But I did find out that a seroquel taper is a joke compared to the benzos, shouldn't take long. I wouldn't mind coming off the 300mg of seroquel because all it did was made me gain weight and mess with my cholesterol, I have to take a fiber supplement to keep it down.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 10:54:45 pm »
Absolutely, it's best to keep the variables to a minimum, this process is crazy enough without wondering if another medication could be causing us issues.  Heck, when we're in benzo withdrawal, we question everything from other medications, foods, drink, you name it, we're trying to figure if and how if affects us.  :D

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 01:35:43 am »
Hopefully this is the last post I need to make on this thread, but I'm officially done! I was reading through the messages, restless leg syndrome was another benzo withdrawal symptom but it had me fooled. During the last month or so, I cut the seroquel from 350mg to 200mg, planning another 100mg drop next time I see the doctor in a couple of months.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 01:58:21 am »
Congrats!!! Now, just allow your brain to heal. Be kind to yourself. You may still have symptoms, it's normal, so don't read much into it. If you want post taper support, go here:

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Awesome job!

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 02:05:41 am »
Thanks, that really means a lot. I hope everything goes well for you too!