Morning Anxiety

[...]

Does anyone seem to have less anxiety during the night and then it resets as you wake up the next morning?

I don't have an alarm clock or even a specific time to wake, lately I have been staying up late just to enjoy less anxiety, at night I look at myself in

the mirror and tell my self WTF was you so stressed about all day, I actually feel like myself lots of the times in the night.

Its like a nightmare, I wake up and my anxiety and panic is back full force, I just don't get it...

Also I've noticed at night my blood pressure and pulse will be lower, that is probably because I'm not freaking myself out with bad thoughts though...

Morning anxiety is very common. I have it as well. Today was better than others. Actually took my dose 2.5 hours later hopefully that’s not a bad thing. But definitely normal from my experience and what others have said on here

Does anyone seem to have less anxiety during the night and then it resets as you wake up the next morning?

I don't have an alarm clock or even a specific time to wake, lately I have been staying up late just to enjoy less anxiety, at night I look at myself in

the mirror and tell my self WTF was you so stressed about all day, I actually feel like myself lots of the times in the night.

Its like a nightmare, I wake up and my anxiety and panic is back full force, I just don't get it...

Also I've noticed at night my blood pressure and pulse will be lower, that is probably because I'm not freaking myself out with bad thoughts though...

Yes, I have exactly the same pattern.

It's the same for me. I can feel almost calm late evening and think of all the things I would love to do the next day. I tend to stay awake too late to enjoy feeling normal, then it starts all over again around 4-5am I wake with dread, and fear, and it builds and  builds to levels that I feel I wont survive it,

If it's cortisol levels, then surely there must be things you can do to reduce it down a little in the day, without being sedated.

I live is such terror all day long, and that breeds a sense that I wont mend, because I started this journey due to anxiety, though nothing as severe as this.

I am just hoping that as I come off the valium I will find calm in the daytime too, and I will be more able to use natural ways to manage my life.

Jen

It's the same for me. I can feel almost calm late evening and think of all the things I would love to do the next day. I tend to stay awake too late to enjoy feeling normal, then it starts all over again around 4-5am I wake with dread, and fear, and it builds and  builds to levels that I feel I wont survive it,

If it's cortisol levels, then surely there must be things you can do to reduce it down a little in the day, without being sedated.

I live is such terror all day long, and that breeds a sense that I wont mend, because I started this journey due to anxiety, though nothing as severe as this.

I am just hoping that as I come off the valium I will find calm in the daytime too, and I will be more able to use natural ways to manage my life.

Jen

I believe it’s raised cortisol that causes this. Mine started at 0500 for months but would improve significantly after I got up, showered and went out for a walk. Quite bizarrely I would lay there in the half-light feeling way down about getting up but knowing that once I was up, things would improve.

Over 9 months, the nights l had this reduced from 2/3 to 1/2 and now 1/8. I can’t pin down why it happens when it does which is very annoying.

Quite bizarrely I would lay there in the half-light feeling way down about getting up but knowing that once I was up, things would improve.

Exactly. Don't want to get up because I'm so tired because my sleep is so bad, and yet, I always feel better once I get up, and I always know I will. Now and then I'll get up for a while, even have some coffee, and then when I'm feeling ok, go back to bed for a couple hours. I can only do that on weekends, of course, but at least I get some decent sleep.

Oh yes...it is major from the time I open my eyes. I don't know if it comes from the " what going to happen today " or if it comes from it was so peaceful asleep and now it's worry and computer and what the hell is wrong with me. Then there is night...as it gets closer to bedtime I watch a movie and though I am not normal calm I seem to be much calmer than I was during the day and actually wait for the evening to come, but if I wake in the middle of the night that fear comes in my head that I won't be able to go back to sleep. It feels like my personal anxiety prison sometimes. Dark and lonely, sometimes scary and my wife who commutes and has to get up so early sleeps in the guest room in case I wake up in the middle of the night and I certainly don't blame her because I don't want exhaustion from me on her. The middle of the night...early morning is worse than when I have slept through the night. I dread it.

This damn anxiety...I feel your pain and I am sorry for all.

Peace, Love and Understanding

David

I should add, though, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be, for me. It has gotten better over time. It's been up and down, but overall, it's gotten better.

Ditto! Same here...my anxiety is always worse in the mornings.

I have been experiencing this morning anxiety for months now. It seems to be pretty common. I can totally relate to how you are feeling. Some days are better than others, I have noticed that.

I too have wicked anxiety and panic in the mornings.  Usually by 10:30 A.M. I start to feel more like me.  I still go through the "what it's " and other worry patterns (looping thoughts) but they are not as uncomfortable as the first chunk of my morning.  We are all in this same boat together!❤

For me, mornings are the worst part of my day, with anxiety, panic and the "what ifs" looping thoughts that are intrusive in my brain.  By about 10:30, I begin to feel a little bit more stable.  So I am in the same boat as all of you.  We are stuck in this boat together, which is better than being alone ❤

I have this. I have a sense of anxiety right upon waking, which usually leads to feeling depressed and not wanting to wake up at all. Does this honestly get better? I've never really been a morning person and I used to sleep in whenever possible. I can't sleep in anymore because of withdrawal and the fact that my wife and I have a daughter. But I'm tired of never feeling excited in the morning and only dread for the upcoming day. All I look forward to is night time.

I have this. I have a sense of anxiety right upon waking, which usually leads to feeling depressed and not wanting to wake up at all. Does this honestly get better? I've never really been a morning person and I used to sleep in whenever possible. I can't sleep in anymore because of withdrawal and the fact that my wife and I have a daughter. But I'm tired of never feeling excited in the morning and only dread for the upcoming day. All I look forward to is night time.

I always have a cup of coffee in the morning. It gives me something to look forward to, and I always feel a whole lot better after I drink it. Of course, for some people, coffee revs up their anxiety, so proceed with caution. You could have a cup of hot chocolate instead. That too may rev up the anxiety, but it really cuts through the depression.

I definitely have morning anxiety and would love to hear any suggestions about how to beat it. I've tried deep breathing, drinking water, gratitude, yogurt, and peppermint tea. What works for others?

I definitely have morning anxiety and would love to hear any suggestions about how to beat it. I've tried deep breathing, drinking water, gratitude, yogurt, and peppermint tea. What works for others?

Cuddly,

Getting out of the house and walking 5 miles makes it go away 90% of the time for me, even though sometimes I don’t want to get up. It can come back periodically during the day but nothing like as bad and I can manage it with breathing.

Best

G

Every single morning until it stopped. Eventually it will! I’m having much better mornings now. That’s not to say they’re completely gone, but they’re much less intense. I’m starting to actually have good mornings! I never thought I’d see the day :D

Every single morning until it stopped. Eventually it will! I’m having much better mornings now. That’s not to say they’re completely gone, but they’re much less intense. I’m starting to actually have good mornings! I never thought I’d see the day :D

Krash,

Great to hear. An inspiration for all

G

Hi

Amongst other w/d symptoms I’m struggling bad with morning anxiety, it had gotten a bit better but I’m slammed with it again, as soon as I open my eyes it starts , my stomach is in knots I feel so anxious it’s awful I just feel desperate, I lay there because I can’t get up at 4am because the day is so long anyway, I try everything, breathing exercise, counting , thinking of colours etc but it churning away, when I get up I have some cereal then go for a 30 minute walk to try and distract which helps a bit. I’ve had days totally anxiety free so I know my brain can do this I just hate it so much it’s scary and I worry it will never go but most say it does eventually.

Hi

Amongst other w/d symptoms I’m struggling bad with morning anxiety, it had gotten a bit better but I’m slammed with it again, as soon as I open my eyes it starts , my stomach is in knots I feel so anxious it’s awful I just feel desperate, I lay there because I can’t get up at 4am because the day is so long anyway, I try everything, breathing exercise, counting , thinking of colours etc but it churning away, when I get up I have some cereal then go for a 30 minute walk to try and distract which helps a bit. I’ve had days totally anxiety free so I know my brain can do this I just hate it so much it’s scary and I worry it will never go but most say it does eventually.

Pushing,

It will go. One of my most severe symptoms was overnight pulsing in my arms and legs from about 0100 which would stop when I got up. It’s gone now. I would also have major dizzy heads. They’ve gone now. I would also get nasty bouts of depression in the morning. They’ve gone now. Unfortunately, they have been replaced with other symptoms but I can happily say they are not as severe. I always said to God that I would be happy with anything if I could lose the dizzy heads and that’s still true, but the constant one symptom after another is still very challenging.

Anyway, let’s end on a positive. I am way better than three months ago. In October I expect to be better again. Your anxiety will go, patience is the key here I think. It’s just that some days it is easier to be more patient than others isn’t it?

Hi G

You are a constant support and inspiration for me, thank you! As you know from my “many” other posts that I’m trying so hard to fight this, I stick to a routine, I do something everyday and really try hard to accept this even though I still have to remind myself sometimes that this is real and will take as long as it takes but oh my it’s so hard sometimes isn’t it, I’m 4 months out now and truly thought I’d be ok now, silly me! I have had improvement there is no doubt of that but the harder days seem to feel harder!

Thanks again and I’m glad to hear you are still making progress even though this crap brings on new symptoms all the time at least some things have gone or got better.

I’m sick of crying, I look about 100 years old lol

PO

Hi G

You are a constant support and inspiration for me, thank you! As you know from my “many” other posts that I’m trying so hard to fight this, I stick to a routine, I do something everyday and really try hard to accept this even though I still have to remind myself sometimes that this is real and will take as long as it takes but oh my it’s so hard sometimes isn’t it, I’m 4 months out now and truly thought I’d be ok now, silly me! I have had improvement there is no doubt of that but the harder days seem to feel harder!

Thanks again and I’m glad to hear you are still making progress even though this crap brings on new symptoms all the time at least some things have gone or got better.

I’m sick of crying, I look about 100 years old lol

PO

Hi Pushing,

Thanks for the kind words:means a lot to me.

The evidence is that we’re all different in our recovery and sometimes wildly different. But at four months out I was on the floor. I really couldn’t function well. I remember walking to the local supermarket and I was afraid to go in! How could that be? There was no rationality to it. Bloody benzo.

I still have peaks of intensity but they have definitely lowered. It’s like it was Everest and now it’s Ben Nevis. When it gets to Primrose Hill proportions (sorry non-Londoners) I’ll be a lot happier.

But let me give you this encouragement Pushing. There cane a point a couple of months ago when mentally I was on top of it and the symptoms became an annoyance rather than an impediment. A tipping point, if you like. Yours is coming, hopefully sooner than mine did and you will become filled with hope and expectation.

Tomorrow might be the day for you or the day after or a bit later but make no mistake, it is coming.

Forward!

Best wishes

G

• 1 month later...

I feel the same. Mornings are awful with deep anxiety and depression - lots of crying. In the evenings I often feel "normal", symptom free. Sometimes I get my hopes up and start planning for good days ahead, just to wake up disappointed every single morning. I hate this!

I feel the same. Mornings are awful with deep anxiety and depression - lots of crying. In the evenings I often feel "normal", symptom free. Sometimes I get my hopes up and start planning for good days ahead, just to wake up disappointed every single morning. I hate this!

Hi Lilly2,

Yes, I get what you are talking about. You are definitely not alone. It was the same for me and then mornings became easier and the anxiety passed. But I did then start to get some evening symptoms. This is such a sonofabitch. However, as time has progressed I can say that in my case the symptom load (total number of hours x intensity - I’ve just made that up) has undoubtedly reduced. Some days I find it hard to bear that it continues, other days I feel happy that it’s not as intense. Somehow we just have to make sure that the latter is the predominant feeling.

Time is all it takes so hang on in there.

Best wishes

G