Preexisting neuropathy ... anyone??? Amitriptyline??

[Sa...]

After 6.5 months of hell, my doc prescribed Amitriptilyne for neuropathy.  The nerve pain, the muscle twitching/spasming is more than I can bear.  I never realized meds could mask something like neuropathy for years.  I at least had a life while on meds, I have no life now.

I’m afraid of all meds.  Sometimes it’s withdrawal and preexisting...

I’m so sad.  Anyone taken Amitriptyline ??? 

I'm so sorry Sara. 

It makes me really sad too.  I cry a lot.  It's taking so long, and it scares me to think that this might go on for years as I've seen with others.  I don't read those posts any longer.  It would be crazy to.  I'm no longer that crazy. 

I constantly remind myself (4 months post Valium) that this is still early days, and there will come a day when I will be well.  Along the way I will make teeny weeny improvements, sometimes with a backward slip, but ever onward.

My heart does go out to you Sara because you never complain and always remind us that we are healing.  We are all healing Sara.  You are healing too. 

There will be days like this Sara. 

Dee

:smitten:

Edit:  I didn't give answer to your original question.

I developed neuropathy when I withdrew from Mirtazapine many years ago.  It improved the longer I was free from the Mirtazapine.  It didn't resolve completely, but definitely improved. 

Got it again with this benzo withdrawal.  At one stage it was agonising.  It has begun to improve.  Changes day to day.  It's still significant imo, but definitely improving. 

I've never taken amytriptyline.

I feel sure you will get you life back again Sara.  Just got to get through the long haul. 

D. X

Dee,

Did you have twitches/spasms for 6 months (mine are in my feet and lower leg).  I could hold on to it’s wd, if I knew it was wd.  6.5 months of spasms, nerve pain... etc, not being able to wear shoes... I was also given Baclofen of which I’m terrified to take.  But 6 months of spasms twitches in feet and feet feel like crushed glass ... I guess my feet are not in wd anymore.  I suspect damage from Xanax.

I can handle the other bad wd sxs.  These are so awful in my feet and no one posts these sxs. 

Thank you, Dee.

Dee,

Did you have twitches/spasms for 6 months (mine are in my feet and lower leg).  I could hold on to it’s wd, if I knew it was wd.  6.5 months of spasms, nerve pain... etc, not being able to wear shoes... I was also given Baclofen of which I’m terrified to take.  But 6 months of spasms twitches in feet and feet feel like crushed glass ... I guess my feet are not in wd anymore.  I suspect damage from Xanax.

I can handle the other bad wd sxs.  These are so awful in my feet and no one posts these sxs. 

Thank you, Dee.

If by muscle twitching you mean muscle cramps, I was given Baclofen a few years ago.

Didn't like one of it's side effects.

Thinning of the hair so I stopped it and was then given Tizanidine for muscle cramps.

If that is what your taking medicine for, the Tizanidine works great with no detectable side effects.

I used to take lots and lots of Clonazepam until the feds cracked down on it.

After 6.5 months of hell, my doc prescribed Amitriptilyne for neuropathy.  The nerve pain, the muscle twitching/spasming is more than I can bear.  I never realized meds could mask something like neuropathy for years.  I at least had a life while on meds, I have no life now.

I’m afraid of all meds.  Sometimes it’s withdrawal and preexisting...

I’m so sad.  Anyone taken Amitriptyline ???

Amitriptyline is another drug I tried for the severe pain in my head which I have 24-7 for the past 23 years.

It didn't do a thing for me either.

Im sorry, lucky.

My feet have twitched 24/7 for six months since ct.  I’ve kept telling myself it’s bwd ... I’m not sure now??

I am scared of all meds, I did not fill amitriptilyne.

Sara

Im sorry, lucky.

My feet have twitched 24/7 for six months since ct.  I’ve kept telling myself it’s bwd ... I’m not sure now??

I am scared of all meds, I did not fill amitriptilyne.

Sara

What is bwd?

I twitched too after ct'ing clonazepam and I stopped it by taking 8 mg clonazepam again.

I put up with one week of twitching and then took the 8 mg.

The twitching stopped.

So I stopped the clonazepam again.

The twitches stayed away.

In my eyes, worth trying.

Lucky,

I’m terrified to take Xanax again.  Scared of Baclofen.

I’m glad you only twitched for a week..

Scared of everything now.  At 6.5 months ... hope the pain stops.

Sara

• 3 months later...
I was diagnosed with neuropathy after a fall in oct 2014. Put on clonazapam for A hand tremor in March of 2015. I’m in worse shape off the clonazapam than on. Now the neuropathy in the left foots worse. Plus add burning from head to toe. Muscle spasms everywhere I even get muscle spasms in my face. Can rarely leave the home. Atleast on the clonazapam I could go places and wasn’t in constant pain. I failed 3 nerve conductor tests so I know the original neuropathy isn’t meds

I developed neuropathy from lexapro and/or tapering it before valium. Valium and wd of it spread the pain from head only to every cell. If you never had neuropathy before any of these meds, it's caused by them then. Taking more meds can make it worse if the cns is sensitized so sadly that won't be the cure.

I have been in most cruel pain allover ever since taking valium and now I'm 3 months off it's continuing. I hope it gets better for all of us further away from these meds while the system is stablized.

[44...]
I've  had severe neuropathy from day 1, i was CTd, reinstated by same doc 4 days later, CTd again by same doc 5 days later and reinstated again by same doc and then dragged off on a way too fast taper. Clueless doc and clueless me. My feet for a long time felt like i was walking on glass, just horrible and it extended to my lower legs. Over the past 8 weeks it has got slowly better and it's now 70% better. I'm hoping this will continue but who knows. Personally i wouldn't take anything for it as all nerve pain meds affect gaba receptors in some way and need to be taken long term. My friend took amityptilline and was so sick trying to get off it she ended up in hospital. I really hope it eases for you soon.

One other thing I forgot to mention, diet can impact neuropathy in a big way. Msg, artificial sweeteners,  and food high in glutamate are bad for neuropathy. I'm on very restricted diet now for a month, will see how it goes.