Topamax

[fd...]

[fd...]

Here I go again asking yet another question.

I have been prescribed Topamax for a long time, I took it a few times..this was before tapering, it seem to not bother me.

Anyone have any info/experience on Topamax?

I suppose to take it for Headaches and supposedly seizure activity, as I had a few seizures as a child, none up to day..only when I cold turkied back in 2007.

I see my Neurologist next month.

Thanks,

Keryn.

I was put on Topamax several years ago for bipolar disorder (which I don't have.)  It made me dumber than usual and actually is referred to as "dope-a-max" in some circles.  :crazy:

Been on it for a little over a year.  Awesome drug for losing weight and stem the urge to drink.  However, I was prescribed it for bi polar and to control the manic part so I could sleep.  I had a little benzo problem which I attribute to the sleep issue and the fact that I will always for the rest of my life have a sleep problem.  Anyway, I am two month benzo free and have tapered the topamax.  I have gained back 30 lbs, am alot smarter, and also have a huge desire to eat again.  I will still get off of it as I want to be drug free for a few months to see who I am.  I stopped effexor CT once, that is a very funny story.  I dont recommend CT anything.  Anyway, the topamax makes you very dumb, or at least me, but I did not know what was attributed to the benzo addiction and or the topamax, so I figured get off of al of them.  I do see sometimes topamax is very similar acting as clonopin, whihc scares me.  It has really sucked getting off of it as I get red, hot, angry and a host of other issues. But off of it I will get.  Good luck.  DJ

[fd...]

I was put on Topamax several years ago for bipolar disorder (which I don't have.)  It made me dumber than usual and actually is referred to as "dope-a-max" in some circles.  :crazy:

Thanks for your info, I didn't know it was prescribed for Bipolar.. thought it was prescribed for Migraines and Seizures.

;)

Keryn.

[fd...]

Been on it for a little over a year.  Awesome drug for losing weight and stem the urge to drink.  However, I was prescribed it for bi polar and to control the manic part so I could sleep.  I had a little benzo problem which I attribute to the sleep issue and the fact that I will always for the rest of my life have a sleep problem.   Anyway, I am two month benzo free and have tapered the topamax.  I have gained back 30 lbs, am alot smarter, and also have a huge desire to eat again.  I will still get off of it as I want to be drug free for a few months to see who I am.  I stopped effexor CT once, that is a very funny story.  I dont recommend CT anything.  Anyway, the topamax makes you very dumb, or at least me, but I did not know what was attributed to the benzo addiction and or the topamax, so I figured get off of al of them.  I do see sometimes topamax is very similar acting as clonopin, whihc scares me.  It has really sucked getting off of it as I get red, hot, angry and a host of other issues. But off of it I will get.   Good luck.  DJ

Ohhh no, I hate Klonopin! It's like Klonopin?

I didn't know it was a Benzodiazepine.

Keryn.

I have been prescribed Topamax for a long time, I took it a few times..this was before tapering, it seem to not bother me.

I suppose to take it for Headaches and supposedly seizure activity, as I had a few seizures as a child, none up to day..only when I cold turkied back in 2007.

Thanks,

Keryn.

Hello Keryn,

I saw your question and wanted to post some information I found. There is much more written in this book about mood stabilizers. Just thought this might be helpful to start.

“Your Drug May Be Your Problem, How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications” by Peter Breggin, M.D. and David Cohen, Ph.D., Fully Revised and Updated Edition, 2007

Chapter 4: Adverse Effects of Specific Psychiatric Drugs

Lithium, Anticonvulsants, and Other “Mood Stabilizers”

“This category comprises several different drugs from different classes. They include Lithium (Eskalith, Lithane, Lithobid, Lithotabs) and the anti-epileptic or anticonvulsant medications, including Tegretol (carbamazepine), Depakene (valproic acid) and Depakote (divalproes sodium), Neurontin (gabapentin), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Topamax (topimarate), and Triliptal (oxcarbanzepine). Other drugs prescribed as mood-stabilizers include Klonopin (clonazepam), Calan (verapamil), and Catapres (clonidine). See Appendix A for a complete list.”

“These drugs are supposed to control mania or to reduce mood swings, which psychiatrists commonly call “bipolar disorder”.  Faced with disappointing results from the use of lithium, psychiatry turned to the use of anitconvulsants, three newer ones of which were approved by the FDA for the treatment of acute mania and bipolar disorder between 1994 and 2000. These drugs probably all have their effect by causing sedation and overall depression of the central nervous system.”

“Many benzodiazepines, anti-seizure medications and anti-hypertension drugs are used as mood stabilizers because of their sedating effects. The benzodiazepines and anti-seizure drugs should be gradually tapered to avoid withdrawal seizures, and the anti-hypertension drugs should be gradually tapered to avoid rebound spikes in blood pressure. An experienced health professional shoud be consulted about the length of time and dose schedule required for withdrawing from these drugs, many of which are listed in Appendix A.”

Appendix A: V. Lithium and Other Drugs Used a “Mood Stabilizers”

Depakote (anti-epileptic drug)

Equetro (anti-epileptic drug)

Lamictal (anti-epileptic drug)

Lithobid, Lithotabs, Eskalith (lithium)

Off-Label or Unapproved Mood Stabilizers

Catepres (antihypertensive drug)

Gabitril

Neurontin (anti-epileptic drug)

Tegretol (anti-epileptic drug)

Tenex (antihypertensive drug)

Topamax (anti-epileptic drug)

Trileptal

Lyrica (anti-epileptic drug)

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

Been on it for a little over a year.  Awesome drug for losing weight and stem the urge to drink.  However, I was prescribed it for bi polar and to control the manic part so I could sleep.  I had a little benzo problem which I attribute to the sleep issue and the fact that I will always for the rest of my life have a sleep problem.   Anyway, I am two month benzo free and have tapered the topamax.  I have gained back 30 lbs, am alot smarter, and also have a huge desire to eat again.  I will still get off of it as I want to be drug free for a few months to see who I am.  I stopped effexor CT once, that is a very funny story.  I dont recommend CT anything.  Anyway, the topamax makes you very dumb, or at least me, but I did not know what was attributed to the benzo addiction and or the topamax, so I figured get off of al of them.  I do see sometimes topamax is very similar acting as clonopin, whihc scares me.  It has really sucked getting off of it as I get red, hot, angry and a host of other issues. But off of it I will get.   Good luck.  DJ

Keryn.

Keryn, Topamax is not a benzo so no worries there but it is true that it makes you quite stupid - we call it dope-a-max in Colorado too.

[fd...]

Thanks,

Keryn.

Hello Keryn,

I saw your question and wanted to post some information I found. There is much more written in this book about mood stabilizers. Just thought this might be helpful to start.

“Your Drug May Be Your Problem, How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications” by Peter Breggin, M.D. and David Cohen, Ph.D., Fully Revised and Updated Edition, 2007

Chapter 4: Adverse Effects of Specific Psychiatric Drugs

Lithium, Anticonvulsants, and Other “Mood Stabilizers”

“This category comprises several different drugs from different classes. They include Lithium (Eskalith, Lithane, Lithobid, Lithotabs) and the anti-epileptic or anticonvulsant medications, including Tegretol (carbamazepine), Depakene (valproic acid) and Depakote (divalproes sodium), Neurontin (gabapentin), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Topamax (topimarate), and Triliptal (oxcarbanzepine). Other drugs prescribed as mood-stabilizers include Klonopin (clonazepam), Calan (verapamil), and Catapres (clonidine). See Appendix A for a complete list.”

“These drugs are supposed to control mania or to reduce mood swings, which psychiatrists commonly call “bipolar disorder”.  Faced with disappointing results from the use of lithium, psychiatry turned to the use of anitconvulsants, three newer ones of which were approved by the FDA for the treatment of acute mania and bipolar disorder between 1994 and 2000. These drugs probably all have their effect by causing sedation and overall depression of the central nervous system.”

“Many benzodiazepines, anti-seizure medications and anti-hypertension drugs are used as mood stabilizers because of their sedating effects. The benzodiazepines and anti-seizure drugs should be gradually tapered to avoid withdrawal seizures, and the anti-hypertension drugs should be gradually tapered to avoid rebound spikes in blood pressure. An experienced health professional shoud be consulted about the length of time and dose schedule required for withdrawing from these drugs, many of which are listed in Appendix A.”

Appendix A: V. Lithium and Other Drugs Used a “Mood Stabilizers”

Depakote (anti-epileptic drug)

Equetro (anti-epileptic drug)

Lamictal (anti-epileptic drug)

Lithobid, Lithotabs, Eskalith (lithium)

Off-Label or Unapproved Mood Stabilizers

Catepres (antihypertensive drug)

Gabitril

Neurontin (anti-epileptic drug)

Tegretol (anti-epileptic drug)

Tenex (antihypertensive drug)

Topamax (anti-epileptic drug)

Trileptal

Lyrica (anti-epileptic drug)

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

Ya, it's a Antiepileptic.

I looked into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topiramate

I will check out the book.

Thanks,

Keryn

[fd...]

Keryn.

Keryn, Topamax is not a benzo so no worries there but it is true that it makes you quite stupid - we call it dope-a-max in Colorado too.

Thanks Ether, didn't know; and yes I have heard it being called that.

Keryn.

My friend Hilary has been taking it for a long time... for migraines and seizures... she gets dumber by the year but nothing else works.

[fd...]

My friend Hilary has been taking it for a long time... for migraines and seizures... she gets dumber by the year but nothing else works.

I don't think I will take it, I'm going to see what the Neurologist says.

Thanks,

Keryn

After doing some further reading, it appears that Topamax is actually beneficial in benzo withdrawal.

"There is an increasing interest in anticonvulsants for the treatment of benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms. The new anticonvulsant compound topiramate seems to be an especially promising drug for this indication. It acts, among others, as an AMPA antagonist, which may be responsible in part for its anticonvulsant efficacy, but may also modulate the withdrawal-induced activation of noradrenergic neurons in the locus coeruleus, which are related to some behavioural effects of benzodiazepine withdrawal. A case is presented of a rapid benzodiazepine-withdrawal treated successfully with topiramate."

http://www.ionchannels.org/abstract/pm/12858324

I don't have access to the full article but here is another one that cites it as well, although it is meant for treatment of compulsive sexual disorder:

"The α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid (AMPA) receptor has been found to mediate the expression of established addiction [2]. For example., AMPA has been found to reinstate drug seeking [3] and AMPA receptor blocking properties (AMPAR) antagonists to block reinstatement[4].

The sulfamate derivative, topiramate, has multiple mechanisms of action, including AMPA/kainate blocking properties [5]. Given the role of AMPAR in the expression of conditioned responses and topiramate's AMPAR-antagonistic properties, topiramate's interest in the treatment of disorders characterized by conditioned cognitive and/or behavioral responses is suggested [6].

Diverse studies and case reports have recently raised the interest of topiramate in the treatment of addictive disorders such as alcohol dependence [7,8], opiates [9] and benzodiazepines withdrawal [10], smoking cessation (Khazaal et al in press), but also in other disorders characterized by compulsive behavior like binge eating disorder [11], bulimia nervosa [12], obesity [13], Tourette's syndrome [14], flash-backs and nightmares in PTSD [15], and self-mutilation behavior [16]."

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/6/22

And another abstract:

"Alprazolam is successful in reducing anxiety but has a high addictive/misuse potential. Topiramate is a novel anticonvulsant which has been used as a mood stabilizer. Other anticonvulsants, such as carbamazepine and valproate, have been used in alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal. Topiramate has recently been used in alcohol, cocaine and opiates withdrawal. There has been also one report of topiramate use in midazolam withdrawal. In our case of a patient with reccurent major depressive disorder, subthreshold anxiety disorder and addiction to alprazolam, topiramate appears to be efficient and safe in alprazolam withdrawal. "

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a758724468

Topamax actually seems to be a catch-all for addiction.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Xx7iNGdV25IC&pg=PA800&lpg=PA800&dq=topiramate+benzodiazepine+withdrawal&source=bl&ots=Usc_As5bQz&sig=rnprCnqZPgCPm3578utMlLfNQ2M&hl=en&ei=HpVyTLLNB4G6sAOd5ODHCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFYQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=topiramate%20benzodiazepine%20withdrawal&f=false

[fd...]

After doing some further reading, it appears that Topamax is actually beneficial in benzo withdrawal.

"There is an increasing interest in anticonvulsants for the treatment of benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms. The new anticonvulsant compound topiramate seems to be an especially promising drug for this indication. It acts, among others, as an AMPA antagonist, which may be responsible in part for its anticonvulsant efficacy, but may also modulate the withdrawal-induced activation of noradrenergic neurons in the locus coeruleus, which are related to some behavioural effects of benzodiazepine withdrawal. A case is presented of a rapid benzodiazepine-withdrawal treated successfully with topiramate."

http://www.ionchannels.org/abstract/pm/12858324

I don't have access to the full article but here is another one that cites it as well, although it is meant for treatment of compulsive sexual disorder:

"The α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid (AMPA) receptor has been found to mediate the expression of established addiction [2]. For example., AMPA has been found to reinstate drug seeking [3] and AMPA receptor blocking properties (AMPAR) antagonists to block reinstatement[4].

The sulfamate derivative, topiramate, has multiple mechanisms of action, including AMPA/kainate blocking properties [5]. Given the role of AMPAR in the expression of conditioned responses and topiramate's AMPAR-antagonistic properties, topiramate's interest in the treatment of disorders characterized by conditioned cognitive and/or behavioral responses is suggested [6].

Diverse studies and case reports have recently raised the interest of topiramate in the treatment of addictive disorders such as alcohol dependence [7,8], opiates [9] and benzodiazepines withdrawal [10], smoking cessation (Khazaal et al in press), but also in other disorders characterized by compulsive behavior like binge eating disorder [11], bulimia nervosa [12], obesity [13], Tourette's syndrome [14], flash-backs and nightmares in PTSD [15], and self-mutilation behavior [16]."

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/6/22

And another abstract:

"Alprazolam is successful in reducing anxiety but has a high addictive/misuse potential. Topiramate is a novel anticonvulsant which has been used as a mood stabilizer. Other anticonvulsants, such as carbamazepine and valproate, have been used in alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal. Topiramate has recently been used in alcohol, cocaine and opiates withdrawal. There has been also one report of topiramate use in midazolam withdrawal. In our case of a patient with reccurent major depressive disorder, subthreshold anxiety disorder and addiction to alprazolam, topiramate appears to be efficient and safe in alprazolam withdrawal. "

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a758724468

Topamax actually seems to be a catch-all for addiction.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Xx7iNGdV25IC&pg=PA800&lpg=PA800&dq=topiramate+benzodiazepine+withdrawal&source=bl&ots=Usc_As5bQz&sig=rnprCnqZPgCPm3578utMlLfNQ2M&hl=en&ei=HpVyTLLNB4G6sAOd5ODHCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFYQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=topiramate%20benzodiazepine%20withdrawal&f=false

Ya I go to the Neurologist today...

I suppose to take 250mg a day.

Thanks for the Information.

I have heard Topamax is safe, may lose weight- but that's not biggy.

I'm originally prescribed it for Migraines.

Keryn.

Its safe for the most part but it really does make you feel doped up. That said, let me know how it goes because I may start taking it along with Namenda in preparation for my benzo withdrawal. :)

I took topamax for about 10 days for head pain treatment....sat around in a drooling stupor for days...called the doc, got ignored; and then was told my body needed to adjust; well, it never did. finally i ended up at the docs office without an appointment; his assistant came out to see me and she said "yeah, you aren't ok".  A few weeks later i said "thank you topamax for the kidney stones!"..yes, kidney stones are one side effect of topamax.  Well, that certain sucked big time. :tickedoff:

just sharing my personal experience.

i do agree with the phrase i hadn't heard before...dope-a-max...yes, that's definitely what it should be called. ::)

[fd...]

Its safe for the most part but it really does make you feel doped up. That said, let me know how it goes because I may start taking it along with Namenda in preparation for my benzo withdrawal. :)

Well, I'm not recommending it, but I will tell you.. I have read so much on Topamax, yet everyone reacts differently.

Keryn.

I took topamax for about 10 days for head pain treatment....sat around in a drooling stupor for days...called the doc, got ignored; and then was told my body needed to adjust; well, it never did. finally i ended up at the docs office without an appointment; his assistant came out to see me and she said "yeah, you aren't ok".  A few weeks later i said "thank you topamax for the kidney stones!"..yes, kidney stones are one side effect of topamax.  Well, that certain sucked big time. :tickedoff:

i do agree with the phrase i hadn't heard before...dope-a-max...yes, that's definitely what it should be called. ::)

Sounds like your doctor was wreckless with the dosing... Topiramate is another drug that should be started small and gradually increased... Sorry to hear about your experience.

At the very least I'm going to try to get Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) and Namenda (mementine) from my doctor... Trileptal has been used successfully in rapid benzo tapers and prevents seizure activity and has a lower relapse rate and Namenda will kill most of the glutamate craziness which should make withdrawal much easier - and none of them act on GABA. My doc suggested Lyrica the other day and I laughed.

Sounds like your doctor was wreckless with the dosing... Topiramate is another drug that should be started small and gradually increased... Sorry to hear about your experience.

At the very least I'm going to try to get Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) and Namenda (mementine) from my doctor... Trileptal has been used successfully in rapid benzo tapers and prevents seizure activity and has a lower relapse rate and Namenda will kill most of the glutamate craziness which should make withdrawal much easier - and none of them act on GABA. My doc suggested Lyrica the other day and I laughed.

You've done an extensive amount of research and while it looks good on paper, I'd still put faith in the posts on this board as to whether any of it really works for benzo withdrawal.  That's the great thing about this forum, people have documented many drugs effectiveness, and in the three plus years I've been here, I've not seen anything help; other than time.  I'd proceed with caution, but if you do go for it only add one drug at a time.

[fd...]

You've done an extensive amount of research and while it looks good on paper, I'd still put faith in the posts on this board as to whether any of it really works for benzo withdrawal.  That's the great thing about this forum, people have documented many drugs effectiveness, and in the three plus years I've been here, I've not seen anything help; other than time.  I'd proceed with caution, but if you do go for it only add one drug at a time.

Thanks, Topamax starts out @ 25mg; and I suppose to take 250mg a day, but I don't.

It's not to make w/d easier, it's for my headaches.

Thanks Pamster

Keryn.

Thanks, Topamax starts out @ 25mg; and I suppose to take 250mg a day, but I don't.

It's not to make w/d easier, it's for my headaches.

Thanks Pamster

Keryn.

Hi Keryn,

I should have been more clear, my comments were directed towards EtherealRemnant's interest in the above bolded drugs. 

Pam

[fd...]

Pamster,

Thanks, I know time and time only heals withdrawal.

I have always had migraines and well, going through this intensifies them.

I thought Topamax would be best, but we'll see, I'm not at all pro-medication, as you can see..

I've been on too many as is.

Keryn.

Okay, I am now two month benzo free and I dont know if topamax made it easier or not.  I do know it really affects your brain.   It makes you not be able to speak in full sentences at first, food tastes bad, you get some serious numbing.  I did not know if some of the problems I had were because of benzo or topamax.  It is an absolute wonder drug for addiction as I virtually stopped drinking, lost the need to binge, and lost 60 lbs total and was getting healthier.  However, you get used to it and need to take more.  Problem I had was the DR kept wanting me to updose.   I now feel like I have a tumor or somehting growing in my belly and wonder if it is topamax related.  I will be totally drug free this Friday after tapering topamax.  The down dosing sucks, it really does as I cant get enough food, want to drink until mmy face falls off but am sleeping better.  I got hooked on restoril.ambien.valium etc for insomnia and was originally prescribed the topamax to control the manic part of bi-polar.... to be able to get some sleep as I was taking enough restoril to kill a horse and still not resting.   Well I am sleeping better, but perhaps this is a window, I do know I will struggle with sleep forever so I am ready for that.  The topamax changed my perosnality and really made me calmer, drink less, thinner, and not so angry.  Ont he flip side I alsoo lost me desire to excel and really could not defend myself verbally.  Taken it for over a year and just want to share my experience so maybe someone else can get help.  I plan on staying off everything for a few months and then adding drugs back if I am still crazier than an outhouse rat.  Good luck.  

[fd...]

Okay, I am now two month benzo free and I dont know if topamax made it easier or not.  I do know it really affects your brain.   It makes you not be able to speak in full sentences at first, food tastes bad, you get some serious numbing.  I did not know if some of the problems I had were because of benzo or topamax.  It is an absolute wonder drug for addiction as I virtually stopped drinking, lost the need to binge, and lost 60 lbs total and was getting healthier.  However, you get used to it and need to take more.  Problem I had was the DR kept wanting me to updose.   I now feel like I have a tumor or somehting growing in my belly and wonder if it is topamax related.  I will be totally drug free this Friday after tapering topamax.  The down dosing sucks, it really does as I cant get enough food, want to drink until mmy face falls off but am sleeping better.  I got hooked on restoril.ambien.valium etc for insomnia and was originally prescribed the topamax to control the manic part of bi-polar.... to be able to get some sleep as I was taking enough restoril to kill a horse and still not resting.   Well I am sleeping better, but perhaps this is a window, I do know I will struggle with sleep forever so I am ready for that.  The topamax changed my perosnality and really made me calmer, drink less, thinner, and not so angry.  Ont he flip side I alsoo lost me desire to excel and really could not defend myself verbally.  Taken it for over a year and just want to share my experience so maybe someone else can get help.  I plan on staying off everything for a few months and then adding drugs back if I am still crazier than an outhouse rat.  Good luck.  

Ya, I just got back from the Neurologist, I am suppose to take Topamax, on the bottle it says for Migraines.

I suppose to take 200mg-250mg a day; and I'm afraid to try it.

I'll have to wait a few weeks, then start out 25mg and see what happens from there.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Keryn.

Keryn,

The use for topamax is anti epileptic.  It is now used "off label" for migraines, bi polar and probably in Oct for weight loss in conjunction with Phentermine.  It is the off label where things get a little iffy.  I dont have migraines so I wont coment on them, but I have had a weight problem and it was great for that.  Take this or leave it.. I am 235 lbs and started on 25 mg and then went to 50 then eventually to 100 where I could hardly keep the slobber in my mouth.  THe Doc always wanted me to go higher.  I know a few things about drugs as I have taken a lot fo them, and owned a pharmacy for 13 years.  BE suspicious about a 250 dose.  Typically for migraines it goes to 200 max and 400 for seizures.  I do know for me personally if I built up to 250 I would be so stupid I could not speak.  Just trying to help, I wish  I had know about topamax before I got on it.  But if I had seizures and it worked, then I would more than likely take it. BTW there is a huge play on it as a weight loss drup in Oct.  Financially speaking.  Good luck to you. 

[fd...]

Keryn,

The use for topamax is anti epileptic.  It is now used "off label" for migraines, bi polar and probably in Oct for weight loss in conjunction with Phentermine.  It is the off label where things get a little iffy.  I dont have migraines so I wont coment on them, but I have had a weight problem and it was great for that.  Take this or leave it.. I am 235 lbs and started on 25 mg and then went to 50 then eventually to 100 where I could hardly keep the slobber in my mouth.  THe Doc always wanted me to go higher.  I know a few things about drugs as I have taken a lot fo them, and owned a pharmacy for 13 years.  BE suspicious about a 250 dose.  Typically for migraines it goes to 200 max and 400 for seizures.  I do know for me personally if I built up to 250 I would be so stupid I could not speak.  Just trying to help, I wish  I had know about topamax before I got on it.  But if I had seizures and it worked, then I would more than likely take it. BTW there is a huge play on it as a weight loss drup in Oct.  Financially speaking.  Good luck to you.   

It can be used to prevent the Migraine before it happens, not while it's happening..

I'll have to do more research on it.

Thanks.