I HATED Paxil! Please for the love of God, don't touch Paxil!!!

[Cr...]

Hey guys,

I Cold Turkeyed off Paxil from 2 days of use. As I'm writing this, I am 20 days off it and don't ever plan to go back on. I had five repeats and 100 tablets, and I just threw them in the bin. I had every bad side effect known. Insane body shivers; suicidal ideations; felt like a zombie ALL the time; complete derealisation to the point where I couldn't catch what anyone was saying in public; depersonalisation so bad my Mum was talking to me before I went to bed one night and I stared at the TV, then fell asleep and woke up in a panic; I was dry heaving heavily and had a flu-like illness which felt like I was dying for about a week straight. Please, please don't touch Paxil! Take it from me, Paxil is not worth it! If your doctor offers you this SSRI, throw your script in the bin. Paxil is not worth it. I would think if you must have an SSRI (and I wouldn't recommend one for benzo withdrawal at all), Zoloft is better.

Slowly but surely I'm back in the gym, I walk my mum around, I'm back to doing chores and duties and my sleep is getting better, although it's not 100% due to me tapering off Valium. But my quality of life is a LOT better since ditching the Paxil.

[70...]

Ive only heard horror stories about Paxil, no one seems to say anything positive about it. I knew someone who was on it and saw them gain 60 pounds so that was enough for me not to ever touch it. That and all the other horrible side effects. Zoloft has some positive reviews and it did work for me before, but only as a last resort and it's not without side effects that's for sure.

Good luck hope you get well soon. I hope we all do.

Ive only heard horror stories about Paxil, no one seems to say anything positive about it. I knew someone who was on it and saw them gain 60 pounds so that was enough for me not to ever touch it. That and all the other horrible side effects. Zoloft has some positive reviews and it did work for me before, but only as a last resort and it's not without side effects that's for sure.

Good luck hope you get well soon. I hope we all do.

Thanks so much! 😊

As far as I'm concerned, adding an SSRI to ease benzo withdrawals is like pouring kerosene on a bonfire.

How about adding a mood stabilizer?

To me, that's like adding more wood to that roaring bonfire. No thanks! No mood stabilisers for me! No way!

Greek, are you on a mood stabiliser whilst on benzo?  ???

No I’m not but considering it. Just worried it will make me more of a zombie. I already feel brain dead. I guess from the really high head anxiety then my nervous system crashes and I feel groggy, confused, fried brain. That’s the roller coaster I ride every day. Extreme head anxiety, pressure, tremors, to feeling a dead feeling in my head. I don’t know what to do! It’s like no oxygen is going to my brain. I’ve lost the essence in my mind. I’ve been suffering like this for many years but I kept it at bay using natural methods. Now with this pill and withdrawal it’s made it so much worse!

No I’m not but considering it. Just worried it will make me more of a zombie. I already feel brain dead. I guess from the really high head anxiety then my nervous system crashes and I feel groggy, confused, fried brain. That’s the roller coaster I ride every day. Extreme head anxiety, pressure, tremors, to feeling a dead feeling in my head. I don’t know what to do! It’s like no oxygen is going to my brain. I’ve lost the essence in my mind. I’ve been suffering like this for many years but I kept it at bay using natural methods. Now with this pill and withdrawal it’s made it so much worse!

I would definitely not recommend a mood stabiliser whilst withdrawing off a benzo. Take it from me. Your gut feeling is right. Also, Omega-3s like Fish Oil can be good for withdrawals in moderation and low doses, but don't add too many supplements, as this can cause your CNS to crash. Please try to not focus too much on your symptoms. Distract yourself as much as possible. You will get through this mate, I promise!  :)

Some people say Remeron helped then through the withdrawal. I’m afraid of it causing more cog fog. I think I’m already in withdrawal and I still have .8 of k to go.

Some people say Remeron helped then through the withdrawal. I’m afraid of it causing more cog fog. I think I’m already in withdrawal and I still have .8 of k to go.

Yes, I have heard that Remeron is good for aiding sleep for some members on here. I would exercise caution though. The problem with Remeron is you need to then taper off of that as well, and unfortunately it has some very unwelcome side-effects.

How about something like lamictal?

I'm not too sure about Lamictal mate. I would honestly just stay off everything until you taper your benzo. I wouldn't risk harming your CNS further by taking more meds. Just my two cents worth.

[70...]

Well i have no experience with mood stabilizers, I know they are meant to treat certain things but not sure if benzo withdrawal is one of them...

But Remeron? Ouch, there's another trigger word! I tried it years ago - what a nightmare. It caused so much intense hunger i gained 7 pounds in the 4 days i put up with taking it. Didn't stick around to find out what else it would do. But I do hear that a lot of people on here have used it with some success as it's very sedating and seems to help with sleep.

Well i have no experience with mood stabilizers, I know they are meant to treat certain things but not sure if benzo withdrawal is one of them...

But Remeron? Ouch, there's another trigger word! I tried it years ago - what a nightmare. It caused so much intense hunger i gained 7 pounds in the 4 days i put up with taking it. Didn't stick around to find out what else it would do. But I do hear that a lot of people on here have used it with some success as it's very sedating and seems to help with sleep.

I also heard that Remeron or Mirtazapine is 10000 times worse than benzo to withdraw from, although that statement could be wrong. I agree with Bella though, it's a crap shoot. For me, nothing but a really slow taper from your benzo would work best, but that's just my two cents worth. An SSRI to treat benzo withdrawal is not a good idea, and has not been scientifically proven. It further destroys the CNS IMO. However, we all heal and I strongly believe in neuroplasticity and the power of the mind to control our thoughts, feelings and emotions.

Hey guys,

I Cold Turkeyed off Paxil from 2 days of use. As I'm writing this, I am 20 days off it and don't ever plan to go back on. I had five repeats and 100 tablets, and I just threw them in the bin. I had every bad side effect known. Insane body shivers; suicidal ideations; felt like a zombie ALL the time; complete derealisation to the point where I couldn't catch what anyone was saying in public; depersonalisation so bad my Mum was talking to me before I went to bed one night and I stared at the TV, then fell asleep and woke up in a panic; I was dry heaving heavily and had a flu-like illness which felt like I was dying for about a week straight. Please, please don't touch Paxil! Take it from me, Paxil is not worth it! If your doctor offers you this SSRI, throw your script in the bin. Paxil is not worth it. I would think if you must have an SSRI (and I wouldn't recommend one for benzo withdrawal at all), Zoloft is better.

Slowly but surely I'm back in the gym, I walk my mum around, I'm back to doing chores and duties and my sleep is getting better, although it's not 100% due to me tapering off Valium. But my quality of life is a LOT better since ditching the Paxil.

I tried that med fifteen years ago and hated it.  Ugh!  :-\

Hey guys,

I tried that med fifteen years ago and hated it.  Ugh!  :-\

Raquel, can I ask, do you still get withdrawals from Paxil that far out, or are they mostly gone?

I’m just desperate because I’ve been suffering with anxiety and depression untreated for years. I’ve had 2 breakdowns and I’m 49 years old with a family. Rumination is severe and brain fog and I feel like a part of my brain in staring off into space, add in derealization and all this before I started taking and tapering off K. I also cut too fast.... I don’t even know why I got into this state to begin with. I tried many natural remedies, rtms etc. I’m losing my will to push forward. My mind relentlessly punishes me with thoughts about how it’s not fair to my family, I want to enjoy life! Maybe I haven’t given medication a good try. I see that most people on this forum were on meds for years. I’m assuming that they worked for them until they stopped working. Right now since my breakdown in November., all I do is struggle to go to work then come home and lie down to meditate and pray to get some relief. I haven’t laughed or smiled since November. It’s not like I took this med to help me sleep and I could just keep the faith that a lot of these symptoms are are withdrawal and one day they’ll be gone. I was struggling with a lot of these symptoms pre benzo. I pushed through them with will power and just fought through. In the end even this fighting attitude let me down because it caused my breakdown from pushing myself. I hate medication from the core of my being but what other options do I have?

I’m just desperate because I’ve been suffering with anxiety and depression untreated for years. I’ve had 2 breakdowns and I’m 49 years old with a family. Rumination is severe and brain fog and I feel like a part of my brain in staring off into space, add in derealization and all this before I started taking and tapering off K. I also cut too fast.... I don’t even know why I got into this state to begin with. I tried many natural remedies, rtms etc. I’m losing my will to push forward. My mind relentlessly punishes me with thoughts about how it’s not fair to my family, I want to enjoy life! Maybe I haven’t given medication a good try. I see that most people on this forum were on meds for years. I’m assuming that they worked for them until they stopped working. Right now since my breakdown in November., all I do is struggle to go to work then come home and lie down to meditate and pray to get some relief. I haven’t laughed or smiled since November. It’s not like I took this med to help me sleep and I could just keep the faith that a lot of these symptoms are are withdrawal and one day they’ll be gone. I was struggling with a lot of these symptoms pre benzo. I pushed through them with will power and just fought through. In the end even this fighting attitude let me down because it caused my breakdown from pushing myself. I hate medication from the core of my being but what other options do I have?

Hey mate,

The first thing you have to do is try and accept the position you're in. Fighting your "waves" and beating yourself up over being stuck on benzos is only going to ramp up your withdrawals. It's a tough situation for all of us to be in.

I'm not saying don't try another medication. All I'm saying is you want to be real careful in adding more meds. Your CNS is damaged from benzo withdrawal. If you want to try another medication to help with sleep and relaxation, then it's best to ask someone who has more experience in being on it. It's hard because I can't tell whether something like Remeron or a mood stabiliser will make you feel better or worse. Personally, I would just try and wean off your benzo and try to heal naturally, but take my advice with a grain of salt.

Remember that some people can jump off medications like Remeron, and have no side effects. You could ask another member about how effective Remeron is, and start on a small dose, just to test the waters. Then if it doesn't work, ask your doctor whether you can stop taking it immediately. That's what I ultimately did with my Paxil SSRI, thinking it would be a saviour in Valium withdrawals. Boy, was I wrong! Don't stress if something doesn't work for you. IMO, as long as it's not a high dose, you should be fine.

A really good website is an Australian one called Reconnexion. They are based in Victoria, Australia (South East of mainland Australia) and they have helped me tremendously, even though I live in Adelaide in South Australia (about 750km away). They could benefit you.

Reconnexion for benzo dependency and withdrawal

If you want to call their line for more help and support, you can, even though you live overseas.

All the best! Good luck! 🙂

Thanks for the support. I’ve been battling this anxiety and depression for a long time. Up until recently I felt like I could still fight. Lately for the first time in my life I feel I have no right left. I’m becoming depressed. I just look forward to going to sleep. I’ve never been like that before and I’m scared. I’ve lost hope.... part of my anxiety/depression stems from failing early on in life with career/direction. I finally went back to school to finish a program I love (manual therapy) and had a breakdown cause pushed myself too much. Now I’ve lost interest in everything. Say I go through this withdrawal it will take me further away from my goals and give me more anxiety and depression again.

Thanks for the support. I’ve been battling this anxiety and depression for a long time. Up until recently I felt like I could still fight. Lately for the first time in my life I feel I have no right left. I’m becoming depressed. I just look forward to going to sleep. I’ve never been like that before and I’m scared. I’ve lost hope.... part of my anxiety/depression stems from failing early on in life with career/direction. I finally went back to school to finish a program I love (manual therapy) and had a breakdown cause pushed myself too much. Now I’ve lost interest in everything. Say I go through this withdrawal it will take me further away from my goals and give me more anxiety and depression again.

Hey Greek,

I've been through that myself. I was going great guns with my grades and everything in High School, right up to 2006, when everything went to the dogs. Here's my backstory.

I failed terribly in Year 12. I did subjects which were far beyond my capabilities. I was wanting to become a biochemical scientist at first. After all, my grades in Year 11 were pretty good, strangely enough. The entrance score for Uni was ridiculously high. In hindsight, I should have realised this. This is when my anxiety really started because everyone around me were geniuses and I was just getting by in my grades.

My anxiety really abated two years later when I found a job at McDonald's. Sure, it was McDonald's, but I thought this is my career, I can become a manager and study at TAFE or Uni at the same time to better myself. I eventually did. I studied a Diploma of Information Technology (Multimedia) but I even found that too hard to complete. I had a stint at a place in Adelaide doing some IT, but that never worked out.

Enter my Taekwondo school. I'm pretty decent at martial arts. I quit my original, good TKD school at first to focus on my studies and work. I then saw that the school had returned under a different instructor, but the same grandmaster. I thought: "You beauty!" and then signed up for it. I went pretty well, until my blue-to-brown-tip belt grading test (3rd down from Black Belt) happened. This is when s**t hit the fan. I was publicly humiliated in front of about 80 students and their parents by not answering a question that the grandmaster had asked. To this day, I still don't understand what he asked for. Then he criticised my side kick. Now, I can snap wood pretty easily with my feet, so I had no idea what he was on about. In hindsight, my grandmaster was bonkers.

The week following, my instructor booted me out because he had a barney with someone else and got fed information to him which was false. I was ever so glad to leave that TKD - it was nothing like the old school. More like a cult gathering than anything.

Then, McDonald's did the dirty on me. Ten years of blood, sweat and tears for virtually nothing. Because of my age, they gave me graveyard shifts week after week. Eventually, I got jack of it and quit.

I am a gym rat. I went to my gym four days a week, and then I had a real scary sensation during a holding crunch, which shot from my neck up into my head during one of the group classes. The instructor was pushing us far too hard.

A week later, I had a panic episode in my car and had to pull over. A stinking hot 38 degree day. On came the panic attacks, hyper anxiety and so forth. That's when my doc gave me Valium.

I still go to the gym, only occassionally now due to Valium withdrawals. But I still try to hang on to my gym, because I love it.

Now, I'm trying my best to get off the rat poison.

Dave.

Are you functioning now? What to do about original anxiety? It’s funny cause I was really involved in martial arts

• 2 weeks later...
Paxil was the very first medication I was prescribed in my long list of psych prescriptions. I was 16.... gained 100 lbs in one year on it. I've been on psych meds ever since, and thinking back to my worst times, I was either coming off of or going on a new medication, or in tolerance withdrawal from benzos. I fully believe that psych meds can save lives, but they can make them far worse, too. :( 

Paxil was the very first medication I was prescribed in my long list of psych prescriptions. I was 16.... gained 100 lbs in one year on it. I've been on psych meds ever since, and thinking back to my worst times, I was either coming off of or going on a new medication, or in tolerance withdrawal from benzos. I fully believe that psych meds can save lives, but they can make them far worse, too. :(

I guess Paxil works for some people, but getting off it is comparable to Xanax in the benzo community. It is, quite literally, the toughest SSRI to come off from. But I took a tester dose of 10mg split over 2 days, and ditched the rest. I *wish* I would have done the same with my Diazepam.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you functioning now? What to do about original anxiety? It’s funny cause I was really involved in martial arts

Hey mate,

I'm semi-functional, but I get strong, depressive thoughts too, so you are definitely not alone. I think we just have to try and stick it out as much as we can, think positive, and distract ourselves as much as possible. Get out in the sunshine, go for walks, get up and move around and don't dwell on benzo withdrawals as much. Try some Yoga. You would be amazed as to how this helps you cope with things. I'm 31 and a solidly built bloke, so I feel very out of place with fit and nimble females, but what the heck. I'm doing Yoga for better mind control, and I love it!

Dave.

Hi Crowman,  Paxil is Paroxetine,  right?  And in liquid form it's called Seroxat. My doctor suggested I could try Seroxat at 2 ml for a while and  increase slowly. I don't want to do that, but am in a terrible state at the moment. So something has to give way.  I have been on Paroxetine from 2011 until  2016. It worked well, so I tapered off and stopped taking it.  I am currently on Valium, tapered down to 3,6 mg. But am a mess right now. What do I do? Please  help.

Hi Crowman,  Paxil is Paroxetine,  right?  And in liquid form it's called Seroxat. My doctor suggested I could try Seroxat at 2 ml for a while and  increase slowly. I don't want to do that, but am in a terrible state at the moment. So something has to give way.  I have been on Paroxetine from 2011 until  2016. It worked well, so I tapered off and stopped taking it.  I am currently on Valium, tapered down to 3,6 mg. But am a mess right now. What do I do? Please  help.

Hey Trochsetter,

Yes, Paxil is Paroxetine.

It didn't work at all for me but for some people, Paxil works well. It's really a crap shoot.

Celexa was recommended to me by my psychologist, but I'm too weary to go down the SSRI path again and add more drugs to the mix.

I would just try to wean down off the Valium, because as soon as you add an SSRI, you will get an adverse reaction. This is one of the many headaches of taking Valium. From my experience, it interacts with everything, even caffeine.

Hang in there mate. It will get better.

Dave.