Benzo-related Food Problem

[Be...]

Hey,

Does anyone know why benzos make me crave milk and sugar all the time? I've become so used to eating only ice-cream, buscuits, coffee and milk, muffins, more biscuits when I take my benzos that I can no longer tolerate nutritional meals like chicken and potatoes, chicken and rice, fish, salads (fruits I can eat). It's like the good food tastes like poison when it should be the other way around. I haven't gained any weight no matter how many calories I shove down my throat.

I just don't understand why that food group has become exclusive in my diet while taking benzodiazepines.

Anyone with similar experiences or ideas as to why this might be happening?

Hey,

Does anyone know why benzos make me crave milk and sugar all the time? I've become so used to eating only ice-cream, buscuits, coffee and milk, muffins, more biscuits when I take my benzos that I can no longer tolerate nutritional meals like chicken and potatoes, chicken and rice, fish, salads (fruits I can eat). It's like the good food tastes like poison when it should be the other way around. I haven't gained any weight no matter how many calories I shove down my throat.

I just don't understand why that food group has become exclusive in my diet while taking benzodiazepines.

Anyone with similar experiences or ideas as to why this might be happening?

The BZD produce a strong dopamine release upon administration. Then the dopamine levels drop down too much. The dopamine receptors wear off with time. The body is looking for natural sources of dopamine, which of course are carbs.

Quetiapine alters glucose levels and produces strong sugar cravings. It also slows down the thyroid function, which leads to sugar cravings.

What were you diagnosed with, if I may ask?

You're fortunate not to gain weight while eating lots of sugar.

Here are some scientific articles about BZD/quetiapine and sugar cravings. Quetiapine is a lesser evil, for sure.

The BZD and dopamine-producing neurons

Seroquel and Weight Gain

Thanks, Estee!

So, taking into account I like to updose regularly, smoke cigarettes (extremely difficult to quit now with benzos; not so much before), and the sugar supplement, I really have become a junkie. Not like most of you who suffer from interdose w/d. I'm an addict, I've totally abused my pleasure centers of the brain. No worries then, while I'm cutting, I'll try slowly to reduce as many dopamine-inducing substances as possible (though quitting smoking is a priority too). Grrrrrr, you stupid junkie.

As far as the quetiapine, I have noticed that when I take it, it may increase my appetite (but for pretty much anything) but it's like 1:1 = sleep = higher appetite, so I usually just go to sleep. But there's definitely a correlation since if I haven't eaten anything but sugar all day, with quetiapine I can balance it out and get the nutrients I need.

Thank you REALLY much for this article. Oh well,  you know what they say, if you can't succeed a million times, try a million times. I've always believed that developing the pre-frontal lobes that have to do with executive function, planning and DELAYING immediate gratification can be trained to do a better job. But it's going to hurt - just like losing weight probably. Will, pain and will.

Anyway,

Thanks  :thumbsup: