when will new anxiety mediations be available?

[Ho...]

Hi HopeSurvives. I'm reading you're signature and previous posts and we are in a very similar spot. I also wen't down to 1 mg and hit very bad wall and updosed to 2.5 (previous updose to 1.40 but was not getting better at all). This happened because I tapered too fast. Previously, I came off valium 5 years ago (quite a fast taper), and 14 years ago (CT with no issues). For these two previous times coming off plus the recent updose (and that I have no way stabilized, but it's soon to tell), I am, like you, afraid of not being able to come off. Why did you go from 0.5 all the way up to 3.6? Did you do a smaller updose and after a month still felt as bad and had to further updose? That's what I did. When I updosed I had gone into acute withdrawal which I didn't know existed but it was impossible to live like that. I hope we both find a solution to our problem (and to anxiety as you're posting about that). I'll take a look at the link. Like you, I have been recommended gabapentin, but I'm scared of getting hooked on another thing and not being able to cease the valium anyway. That's a difficult decision. How slowly are you cutting now and what symptoms do you get when you cut? Hope we both find a way out of this Hope, let's not lose hope  8)

Yeah,

Because the last one worked so well.

???

Exactly.

Barbiturates were great until they realized how easy it is to OD. Then along came Librium, then Valium. They started realizing that Valium is "addictive" so they created stronger benzos such as Xanax, Klonopin and Ativan and z-drugs that weren't supposed to be "addictive".

When they do come out with another anxiety drug they will probably start to acknowledge some of the serious issues that were caused by the drugs they prescribe today, but of course, the newer drugs will be touted as "better", despite the fact that they won't have any real long term studies to show their safety and effectiveness.

Even thinking about more anxiety drugs makes me anxious. I don't think I'd ever take anything that impacts mood again.

You've got to realize that ANY drug that works to calm anxiety is just going to have the opposite effect when it wears off and may even bring MUCH MORE anxiety - like the benzos.

You've got to realize that ANY drug that works to calm anxiety is just going to have the opposite effect when it wears off and may even bring MUCH MORE anxiety - like the benzos.

No such thing as a free lunch.

The whole mindset of running to the doc for a pill instead of learning the skills to deal with our issues is sad.  Hey, I did it, mostly cuz of peer pressure and there IS NO SUPPORT for those who experience distress.  Always looking outside ourselves for that magic bullet...families flung far and wide and everyone forced to be an "individual" rather than cultivating community.

TV ads for pharma is evil, too.  Our society is sick.