I keep on asking this question but now it’s on the right thread

[Th...]

Is there any hope for us who already suffered from GAD before the benzo and are now coming off of it? I mean people get on it for sleep issues and suffer intolerable hell. What are we to experience? Will we just go back to our old anxiety state?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any hope for us who already suffered from GAD before the benzo and are now coming off of it? I mean people get on it for sleep issues and suffer intolerable hell. What are we to experience? Will we just go back to our old anxiety state?

I've wondered about this too, and after seeing what others have said, I assume my baseline, when I get back to it, will be the same as the day I went in and got put on benzos and ADs. I've restarted therapy with a fresh perspective and attitude, so I can work on those issues, if I haven't already.

I think if you had anxiety before, it will still be there after you get through this.  My hope that I am hanging on to, is that getting through this will hopefully give me more confidence so maybe my way of looking at things will be changed.  That is what I keep trying to tell myself.  We are climbing very steep mountains as we taper.  Perhaps other "mountains" in our lives may not seem as steep as our climb now.  Like I said, I have to hope and pray that my perspective will change.  Will I always be anxious, yes, but maybe the new "mountains" will seem climbable! ❤