Whole Milk or Vodka?

[gr...]

Hi everyone

I have been on .5 klonopin (clonazepam) for 7 years. I am going to start tapering off. I am debating between 1. Dissolving the pill in 40 mL of whole milk OR 2. using 2 mL of alcohol (vodka) to dissolve the klonipiin before mixing with 98 mL water.

I am curious if anyone has tried these methods and which ones worked for you?

I appreciate your help.

You'd be dissolving two pills of .5 for a total of 1 mg of mixture right? I am just guessing that based on the amount of liquid you plan to use.

I use vodka. It's very minimal. Milk makes me gag, and it has to be refrigerated. Also milk has a short shelf life. Either works (for different people). Just a preference.

All the best on DLMT. It has done me fine.

1)  As a solvent, either milk or vodka work just fine.

2) If you use milk, why wouldn't you do .5mg in 50ml, so you still have a .01mg=1ml concentration.  Eliminates the math.

3) There are no storage/transport/perishability issues with the vodka solution.

• 4 weeks later...

3) There are no storage/transport/perishability issues with the vodka solution.

Water/Vodka!

It lasts longer and needs no refrigeration.

No-brainer.

But, whatever works best for you.  :)

Vodka.

One, it makes a true solution (which is very reassuring) and two, as Al said, no worries about refrigeration or transporting. I had to take my drug with me during the day as I travel a lot for work, and would have worried about the milk going "off". Also, I hate milk.  :sick:

It worked for me. But if milk works for ppl, go for it.

Katz

Vodka.

One, it makes a true solution (which is very reassuring) and two, as Al said, no worries about refrigeration or transporting. I had to take my drug with me during the day as I travel a lot for work, and would have worried about the milk going "off". Also, I hate milk.  :sick:

It worked for me. But if milk works for ppl, go for it.

Katz

Katz i noticed in  your signature you came off 900 mg in 9 months...im on the same dose but not ready to add that taper yet..may i ask how you came off of it successfully in a pretty short amount of time? did you use the capsules or liquid titration?

Ah yes, my awful gabapentin reduction.

Well, I got 100 mg capsules from my doc. I didn't want to open them up and make a witches' brew. I was so done with that from my valium taper.

So I just dropped 1 capsule (100 mgs) a month. I do NOT recommend this. Things were fine until about 300 mgs then I started experiencing the same rotten s/x as I did on my benzo taper. But I'm hard-headed, so I just carried on. Ugh.

It is soluble in water, and looking back, I should have made a solution and tapered with that -- at least at 300 mgs when things got rough -- but as I said, I was so done with DLMT tapering.

Oh, the last capsule I emptied out half of it and took 50 mgs for 2 weeks, then "jumped". I was dumb, but done. And the nasty s/x didn't hang around for ages like the miserable s/x from my benzo taper. I'd say in a month I felt okay.

Katz

Ah yes, my awful gabapentin reduction.

Well, I got 100 mg capsules from my doc. I didn't want to open them up and make a witches' brew. I was so done with that from my valium taper.

So I just dropped 1 capsule (100 mgs) a month. I do NOT recommend this. Things were fine until about 300 mgs then I started experiencing the same rotten s/x as I did on my benzo taper. But I'm hard-headed, so I just carried on. Ugh.

It is soluble in water, and looking back, I should have made a solution and tapered with that -- at least at 300 mgs when things got rough -- but as I said, I was so done with DLMT tapering.

Oh, the last capsule I emptied out half of it and took 50 mgs for 2 weeks, then "jumped". I was dumb, but done. And the nasty s/x didn't hang around for ages like the miserable s/x from my benzo taper. I'd say in a month I felt okay.

Katz

oh sorry to bring back bad memories, but thank you for sharing your process and method with me.  :thumbsup: it sounds like it was not fun, but doable, manageable. i'll probably do water tritration since it's almost 100%soluble in H2O, but do what you did and slow way down once sxs ramp up. i may go down a little lower before i stop. at least there's not as horrible lingering sxs like the benzo tapers sometimes have. may i ask how long you took gaba for? thx again for sharing

No problem, nomore. I could have made things easier on myself if I hadn't been such a butt.

I started taking gabapentin in 2006. I had a miserable spinal fusion and unfortunately afterwards, I had some foot neuropathy (caused by the surgery -- they nicked the sciatic nerve) that didn't get better. I was once on as much as 3600 mgs. That was a trip, believe me! I tapered it down to 900 mgs in about 2012 and stayed there during my taper.

Anyhow, I decided to taper off it completely -- somewhow -- as it made me feel dizzy and ill. Once I got over my benzo taper, I realized the gabapentin was responsible for some of the crappy way I had been feeling.

If you can make a water solution and taper gradually, you may well escape rotten s/x. But even if you do have them, they are not as bad as those associated with benzos. And the "recovery time" is much less.

Good luck!

:smitten:

Katz

No problem, nomore. I could have made things easier on myself if I hadn't been such a butt.

I started taking gabapentin in 2006. I had a miserable spinal fusion and unfortunately afterwards, I had some foot neuropathy (caused by the surgery -- they nicked the sciatic nerve) that didn't get better. I was once on as much as 3600 mgs. That was a trip, believe me! I tapered it down to 900 mgs in about 2012 and stayed there during my taper.

Anyhow, I decided to taper off it completely -- somewhow -- as it made me feel dizzy and ill. Once I got over my benzo taper, I realized the gabapentin was responsible for some of the crappy way I had been feeling.

If you can make a water solution and taper gradually, you may well escape rotten s/x. But even if you do have them, they are not as bad as those associated with benzos. And the "recovery time" is much less.

Good luck!

:smitten:

Katz

thanks for your willingness to share!

i was prescribed it for back spasticity and spinal pain which they thought was MS..turns out it was caused by my seroquel high dose long term and now that i'm down to 60mg instead of 400mg seroquel, all the "mS" sxs disappeared. so my back pain and stiffness is due to a spinal injury to my L4-L5 and i can handle the pain with exercise and occasional ibuprofen. so i don't need the gaba, and i really feel it makes me dumbed down aka "Morontin" neurontin lol also it used to make me high when i took it in one dose at night. i switched to 300mg 3x a day and now it doesnt make me so stoned bt i dont like the stuff it does to the brain tissue so i want off. most people say save it til last to taper cause it softens the blow of benzo wd, but i really wonder about that.  i too wonder if it makes my benzo and seroquel taper more difficult or ???

thx again

sorry for changing the topic yall

most people say save it til last to taper cause it softens the blow of benzo wd, but i really wonder about that.

I alwyas wondered about that too, nomore. I mean, how can it? How would that work physiologically? But we're always looking for a magic bullet to help us with our tapers, aren't we? Sadly, I don't think there is one.

Be well, and apologies to the OP.

Katz