Do people talk rubbish on YouTube?

[Cr...]

Hey guys,

I hear people on YouTube and the like making claims of: "Benzo withdrawal leaves you with permanent damage," "Benzo withdrawal is far worse than Heroin," etc. etc.

Are any of these claims true? ARE you left with some level of permanent damage from benzos? Or do we all return to baseline functioning after a certain period of time?

I'm of the opinion that, as long as your use isn't ridiculously high and daily use, you won't get permanent brain or body damage.

I do 5mg Valium a day, so a pretty low dose, but daily as I'm tapering and have dependence. I'm still able to go to the gym. I passed a spirometry asthma test with flying colours. I can do chores, I can still drive, and do some shopping. I don't believe I'm brain damaged. I have cog-fog, but so do 99.9% of people going through benzo withdrawal as well. How many of the YouTube comments are credible?

Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Cr...]

• [bu...]

• [lo...]

• [Da...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a number of these You-tube videos. I am sure most folks posting their story do believe that there is permanent damage or at least long lasting debilitating symptoms. This seems especially true for those who are sensitive and experiencing these significant withdrawal symptoms.

Please keep in mind it is the minority who have these extreme, traumatic, debilitating experiences. Also keep in mind that while these folks suffer immensely and are relaying their experience as they see it, does not in any way indicate that this is what you will experience. :thumbsup:

You're very lucky. A lot of people in withdrawal wouldn't be able to go to the gym, let alone walk for very long. They have all kinds of symptoms - head pressure, vertigo, agoraphobia, extreme pain, pins and needles, terrible anxiety, depression - the list goes on and on. That is probably why they feel so hopeless.

Builder, I agree mate, YouTube is a shocking place for "advice". I found this place to be the best. There are some people on YouTube that are still suffering protracted withdrawals even after tapering, but God only knows how much of their drug they were taking.

You're very lucky. A lot of people in withdrawal wouldn't be able to go to the gym, let alone walk for very long. They have all kinds of symptoms - head pressure, vertigo, agoraphobia, extreme pain, pins and needles, terrible anxiety, depression - the list goes on and on. That is probably why they feel so hopeless.

I have these symptoms, but the difference is, I MAKE myself do things that my "benzo" brain screams no to. I learnt more resilience from Propranolol withdrawals (yes, even beta-blockers have withdrawals!) I had terrible withdrawals for a week, after taking Propranolol for six days.

Haviing said that, I go to the gym on my "windows". I still get knocked on my a--e some days. I do take it easy at the gym and go only twice a week. It's more cardio and bike work than weights. One thing I've learnt from this benzo experience is you MUST listen to your body.

Builder, I agree mate, YouTube is a shocking place for "advice". I found this place to be the best. There are some people on YouTube that are still suffering protracted withdrawals even after tapering, but God only knows how much of their drug they were taking.

...and you need to take a lot of what you read here with a big grain of salt!  ::)

...and you need to take a lot of what you read here with a big grain of salt!  ::)

Yeah I know a lot of things people write on here can be guesswork and it's not 100% reliable.

However, I believe you and the admins know their stuff about benzos though mate. I'm here for guidance on tapering off Valium only, and not relying solely on BB to get me off Valium. I've been flexible with my holds on my taper. It may take me 8 months, or it may take me 16 months to kick the benzos, because as we all know, benzos are a bitch. Of all the sites I've been through though, I find this one to be the most informative. Bella Amis sent me a tapering guide at the very start, and I've been following it to the letter. It's actually going pretty well so far with minor side-effects.

I have these symptoms, but the difference is, I MAKE myself do things that my "benzo" brain screams no to. I learnt more resilience from Propranolol withdrawals (yes, even beta-blockers have withdrawals!) I had terrible withdrawals for a week, after taking Propranolol for six days.

Haviing said that, I go to the gym on my "windows". I still get knocked on my a--e some days. I do take it easy at the gym and go only twice a week. It's more cardio and bike work than weights. One thing I've learnt from this benzo experience is you MUST listen to your body.

I have these symptoms, but the difference is, I MAKE myself do things that my "benzo" brain screams no to.

Maybe you're different from a lot of people. So many people have to be careful because riling up the CNS could cause terrible repercussions and a far more sensitized nervous system.

I think you must understand that benzo withdrawal can be very severe for some of us, I was in bed for a number of years.  There is huge variation, and so you are fortunate compared to many of us.

I think you must understand that benzo withdrawal can be very severe for some of us, I was in bed for a number of years.  There is huge variation, and so you are fortunate compared to many of us.

I believe you but some people don't have a clue how bad this can be because they've been lucky not to see the shark's jaws. I was one of them until a month ago. I hope you keep healing and get better.

I believe you but some people don't have a clue how bad this can be because they've been lucky not to see the shark's jaws. I was one of them until a month ago. I hope you keep healing and get better.

I am sorry you have suffered too.  I am still improving little by little.  I have read about people going to work with head pressure, for me head pressure meant being rolled up in a ball in bed for hours at a time.  There is great variation.

It is ironic that the same people who possibly had their lives saved by information that they found on the internet are quick to denounce the internet as a source of valuable information.

Believing that everything you read on the internet is nonsense is every bit as foolish as believing everything you read on the internet.

I have these symptoms, but the difference is, I MAKE myself do things that my "benzo" brain screams no to.

Maybe you're different from a lot of people. So many people have to be careful because riling up the CNS could cause terrible repercussions and a far more sensitized nervous system.

I'm not immune to the "waves" though. I have felt dizzy, had DP/DR, muscle tensing and almost every other symptom you can name except epilepsy, even though I'm carefully tapering. There are times I've woken up really late and had severe muscle cramping. I'm aware of damaging the CNS. I'm careful when I do a workout, but I think it's vital to do some type of exercise to ease benzo withdrawals, even if it's walking around the block. Some days I do that, other days it's on the bike for 5 minutes or so.

Thanks! I hope I continue to get better. A positive mindset also helps a lot too. 😊

I'm very sorry you ended up so protracted in your withdrawal. I understand a lot of people are bedbound or housebound when coming off benzos. It's criminal that the doctors who prescribe these meds have no clue on weaning us off, or quite simply don't care.

It is ironic that the same people who possibly had their lives saved by information that they found on the internet are quick to denounce the internet as a source of valuable information.

Believing that everything you read on the internet is nonsense is every bit as foolish as believing everything you read on the internet.

Which is the exact reason I found this forum to be the best at weaning off benzos, and asked the question about YouTube. Reading that people on here have had Success Stories and are 97% or greater healed makes me feel as though I've found the right place for advice.

I'm very sorry you ended up so protracted in your withdrawal. I understand a lot of people are bedbound or housebound when coming off benzos. It's criminal that the doctors who prescribe these meds have no clue on weaning us off, or quite simply don't care.

Thank you very much, yes it can be very tough for many of us.  I do hope you will recover well and it won't take too long, that is the best outcome.

Take care.

Thank you very much, yes it can be very tough for many of us.  I do hope you will recover well and it won't take too long, that is the best outcome.

Take care.

Thank you so much! Remember we are all healing.  :thumbsup:

Thankfully I have been able to access help from naturopath and chiropractor and they have helped me considerably over the past six months or so. 

Thankfully I have been able to access help from naturopath and chiropractor and they have helped me considerably over the past six months or so.

I heard acupuncture is very beneficial in benzo withdrawal too.

I heard acupuncture is very beneficial in benzo withdrawal too.

I had thought about it but have stuck with the two things that seem to be helping right now.  It is costing me a great deal of money.