Xanax to valium and tapering

[In...]

Dear All,

I have tapered from Alprazolam 4 mg to Alprazolam 0.5 mg in 6 months, i had to hold at  0.5 mg alprazolam for a month. I was feeling quite uneasy at 0.5 mg, body pains and mostly Insomnia, if i got up from sleep in midnight, I could not sleep again.

Reading forums i learnt about cross taper, post consultation with my Psychiatrist, he approved to switch over to 0.5 mg equivalent of Alprazolam as 10 mg Valium but also asked me to continue with 0.25 mg alprazolam for 5 day(s) and stop alprazolam.

All went well for 15 day(s), i was able to sleep for 6-7 hours, now suddenly i feel with no reason that i get good sleep only on alternate nights, though yesterday evening i went for 10 kms running as well and was tired, still at 3 am i suddenly stood up and could not sleep, since i had to go for office at 9 am, i took one more dosage of valium to sleep again as i was feeling anxious for not able to sleep.

Anybody having similar experience and some tips to sleep well, though i have not yet started even to taper from valium 10 mg.

TIA,

IB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Indianbuddy,

On nights where it's hard to fall asleep I find it useful to play a guided meditation video from YouTube there are a lot of them, male or female voice, from 10 min to 1h I use headphones and fall asleep 20 min in.

Meditation also helps, i lay on my bed and breath for 20 minutes to relax my body and calm my mind.

I hope this helps.