Monophobia - how to improve?

[Pt...]

Hi everyone

I'm now about 3 months out and overall much improved from jump, but still not functional on so many levels. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dealing with monophobia or fear of being alone? I have been with family literally 24/7 since jump and just last month I lost sight of them while being in a grocery store which set off unbearable panicanxiety (even though my rational mind knew that all i had to do was walk a few aislesor around the store And I would find them). Should I let time heal this or should I expose myself in situations slowly where I would need to be independent? Obviously I am not working and staying at home doing what I can with distraction. May be im just getting ahead of myself and should just focus on distraction for now. Any thoughts appreciated thank you!

:smitten:

when you are healed you will return to your natural Baseline. If you were able to be alone before, then you will be able to do it again :)

I live by myself, and I had to have my mother come stay with me for 2 months because of my monophobia!  now that I am nearly six months off,  I'm back to normal.  living on my own. In fact,  I'm taking a solo road trip up to Big Sur!

healing does happen :)

• 2 weeks later...

this is insane!! i am so happy i found this. i have had the same symptom not only since benzos, but a few months before after my brain injury because of panic attacks from the injury. i have not been able to be alone for a year now. it is awful and so humiliating.

before my car accident, tbi, and benzo troubles, i went to school every day, work all week, stayed out with friends very late, even took a trip by myself to the desert for three days. i was very independent.

after this last year, my brain just.... works differently now. i feel like i'm in a bad dream i have yet to wake up from. at first i couldn't leave my room, and i would cry when i was alone in my room and have horrible derealisation and panic. slowly over 6 months i could go into the kitchen alone, and eventually be in the whole house alone. then i started to hit tolerance on my klonopin, so i started to go backwards. currently i am back where i was a year ago. :tickedoff: it's awful!

all i want is to be back the way i was before. i know something has been horribly wrong for a year now. i had to stop driving as well. i think it is really the benzos that do this. please message me if you want to talk!! i am glad i found someone else who finally has this symptom.

Oh yes, monophobia... one of the most crippling symptoms during this ordeal. I hate it with a passion.

It has gotten a lot better over the course of the last few months. I'm almost 21 months off cold turkey. I hope it will continue to improve and go away completely.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for replying everyone and for giving me hope! I'm now 5 months off, still can't be alone. Well, I take that back. I can be alone in my house for a short period, but can't go out at all without being with someone. I sure hope it will go away!

Miracle...Everyone's situation is so different.  Time did help with this but I also used exposure therapy early on.  Meaning, I stayed alone or went somewhere alone on purpose.  I practiced training my brain to calm down and convinced it nothing bad was going to happen.  My brain was not rational and I couldn't sit there and let this fear have it's way.  I started small and increased time and place.  I think it helped me.  I was angry at the irrationality of it all and couldn't just wait it out.  I don't have the issue now at all.  I cherish my time alone.  It may have resolved itself...but at least I was doing something.

Everyone is at a different mental place and should do what feels right.