Off now after 10+ years at 3mg Xanax

[Ne...]

This was quite an experience.  First thing I want to say is that for me, Xanax was a lifesaver.  After 15 years of mixed success talk therapy to tame debilitating GAD, I put up the white flag and went on Xanax.  I had 10 good years of life, working and raising my children.  If it wasn't for a prescription mixup that pushed me into cold turkey, I'd probably still be happy on 3mg per day.

The cold turkey withdrawal scared the crap out of me.  I do not want to be that dependent on a drug that society ridicules and the government could outlaw.  I started a 9-month taper.  3mg, 2mg, 1mg, 0.5mg, 0.25mg, 0.125mg and then chip and dust.  I'm off now for 2 months. 

Cold turkey was bad and I'm glad that I didn't die.  The taper was painful at first and then became a very interesting experience as sparks of life came back to my brain.  I experienced manic sessions that were interesting, dancing, amazing energy, super senses, balance.  Short-lived but cool.

My sinus cleared and the air smelled like a beach.  Hypersensitive skin and sex.  :) 

I'm jumping around a bit.  No sex for the first 6 months of withdrawal because my BP was through the roof. 

I have less anxiety now than when I was on Xanax.  My guess is that after 10 years at the same dosage, I was taking enough to stop withdrawal and not provide calming.

I'm happy to be off Xanax.  Doctors know very little about withdrawal.  This site is sooooo importantant.  Moderators are very good.  God Bless.

It is so strange not having to worry where my pills are. Do I have enough?  When is my refill?  What a headache to be hooked.

Oh yeah, I lost 40 lbs during the withdrawal - that's a nice benefit.  Benzo Benefit?  Bad joke.

I have my last year documented in a diary.  I'll share more over time.

----------

I had expected that once I was off Xanax that withdrawal would be complete.  That's not the case for me.  After jumping off at less than 0.125 mg per day, I still experience minor withdrawal which is less of a problem than my anxiety level while taking 3mg per day.

2 month with no Xanax is worse than the day I jumped off but not as bad as 2 weeks after jumping off - if that makes sense.  It's a bit of a roller coaster that is pushed by the foods I eat.  Virtually and processed food is a problem.  Lunch meats, salad dressing, salts.

I feel like my brain is now a clean slate and my natural born negative reaction to processed foods is very obvious.  I believe I was born with a low GABA level and Xanax filled that gap temporarily.  Now after a "brain reset", I need to learn how to manage the brain chemistry that I was born with.

This forum is cool because there is virtually no one I can discuss this with.  Readers here actually KNOW what I talking about.

"Now after a "brain reset", I need to learn how to manage the brain chemistry that I was born with."

I'm completely agree with this.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

• 1 month later...

Hello.  I'm just checking in.  After a 9 month taper from Xanax - 3mg per day to 0.  I'm now at 0mg for 5 months.  My appetite has returned.  My tinnitus is gone.  My stomach still growls like crazy.  My manic like energy is gone and I'm feeling more tired.  Funny thing, I'm more tired but sleep is not as good.  Crawling sensation in legs is gone.  I still have some pain in joints.  Muscle spasms in upper back is much less.  Blood pressure is now normal 120/70.  My nose has stopped running.  Wow - what a year.  Today is the anniversary of my accidental cold turkey.  My strong advice - please don't try cold turkey. 

I still feel like my deep brain functions are still healing.  Coming off Xanax was an terrifying and amazing experience.  I had a front row seat experiencing big physical and emotional brain function changes.  I think I better understand some of the mechanics of mental illness.  I'll check in again if anything big happens or on my 0mg 1 year anniversary.  Cheers.  :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hello.  I'm just checking in.  After a 9 month taper from Xanax - 3mg per day to 0.  I'm now at 0mg for 5 months.  My appetite has returned.  My tinnitus is gone.  My stomach still growls like crazy.  My manic like energy is gone and I'm feeling more tired.  Funny thing, I'm more tired but sleep is not as good.  Crawling sensation in legs is gone.  I still have some pain in joints.  Muscle spasms in upper back is much less.  Blood pressure is now normal 120/70.  My nose has stopped running.  Wow - what a year.  Today is the anniversary of my accidental cold turkey.  My strong advice - please don't try cold turkey. 

I still feel like my deep brain functions are still healing.  Coming off Xanax was an terrifying and amazing experience.  I had a front row seat experiencing big physical and emotional brain function changes.  I think I better understand some of the mechanics of mental illness.  I'll check in again if anything big happens or on my 0mg 1 year anniversary.  Cheers.  :thumbsup

Thank you for this and your original post.  This is just what I need as I begin my journey tapering off 20+ years of Xanax.    So happy for you!

NewStartNJ-

Thank you for your post!  I’m tapering directly off Xanax after 20 years, at same dose as you, 3 mg. per day.  You give me new optimism to continue my journey.  I’m down to 1.25 per day.  It’s so good to hear about others who have made it through to the other side!  🌹

• 7 months later...

Hello Buddies,

People with anxiety are funny.  We worry when there is no problem and when a worldwide pandemic health crisis hits, we're doing OK at home.  We have more practice at being worried than the average folks.  :0  OK - back story.  I'm 60 yrs old now.  I had my 1st panic attack at 20 yrs old.  Started PRN (as needed) xanax at 24 years old and full-time xanax at 35 yrs.  I worked by way up to 3mg per day for the last 10 years.  With all this, I managed a full and successful life.  I just had a monkey in my back.

In August 2018, my doctor f'd up royal and "accidentally" cut off my xanax prescription.  I went from 3mg per day to 0.5mg and it nearly killed me.  Don't to this - it won't end well.    I changed doctors and got back on 1.5 mg and started a Ashton Method tapper.  There is no other way to give the brain time to heal.  Xanax withdrawal is like healing your brain after a serious concussion.  This is my best example.

I did a 8-9 month tapper from 1.5mg to zero.  I have remained at zero since May 2019.  Zilch.  I experience mild tinnitus and waves for the next 12 months.    It's now June 2020 and tinnitus is gone and waves are 90% gone.  Woot woot.  I do take 40mg of Inderal for PB and some palpitations.  It's well managed.

Btw - I lost 30-40 lbs (205 to 175 lbs) during withdrawal and kept most of the weight off.  Nice!

Looking back, I realize that I was living on the edge of xanax withdrawal for most of my life.  Wow - you'd think a doctor would know this.  Anyway.  I'm off and done.  I have emotional resilience now.  I'm not and open wound.  Not bad.  However - I think this all started because I was a youthful drinker.  I began social drinking at 18 yrs old and alcohol and the young brain is a problem.  The brain needs to learn how to handle stress and anxiety without alcohol.

So - you were wondering - it is possible - for me anyway.  You mileage may vary.  Life is better.  Now I need to wear a mask and wash my hands to avoid a deadly virus.  I can not imagine my stress level worrying about getting my next xanax prescription.

Take Care!

Congratulations, New Start!  I am 23 months benzo free after a long history with benzos starting in 2001.  I am now in protracted withdrawal, still being pretty sick most of the time with benzo flu and tinnitus.  I am hopeful that when I reach the 36 month mark I will feel a lot better as many others have.  If you want to pm me and chat, please do.  This forum is a lifeline for me as well.

Thank you for sharing this. It is very helpful. I was on a similar dose of the same drug and am six months into my withdrawal so it give me hope that all will be okay. Thanks again!  :)

Congratulations Newstart!  I'm happy for you and your newfound emotional resilience that is all your own.

I too thank goodness for this forum and all the people who make it work.  So much better than any Facebook group in my opinion.

I have a similar story, just with Ativan, up to 4mg per day, about 15 years. I did a Valium crossover taper, which failed when I got down to 5mg. I ended up in the hospital, and went cold turkey off that. Anyways, I am now benzo free 23 months. I am still sick with tinnitus and benzo flu. I work hard wvery day at trying to stay positive and live my life. I am at the point where I just read the celebrations and success, because some of  the stuff on the protracted withdrawal board gets me depressed. Thanks for taking he time to post, positive stuff helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing your story. That inspires me to keep going on those bleaks days like today where I'm in the weeds.