Going from Xanax IR to Xanax XR

[ba...]

Am making this transition, and am actually excited about it, for many reasons.

I know there is a transition period, and it can be difficult.

Would like to hear from anyone who has done this crossover.

I took it for a week 2 years ago, ddn't like it. This time I'm being given  an equal dosage to my IX, and advised to be patient and give to my he adjustment time.

I took 1 mg of Xr and 1 of regular.  I was under the impression XR lasted a lot longer than regular, but of course, didn't look it up.  I'm sure you've done your research.  Wish you luck , Mary 💜💜💜💜

Mary, XR stays constant in the amount of medication through the dose. Reg xanax, as we know peaks in an hour, starts dropping at 2 hours, and between hour 3-5 it's gone. Hello inter dose withdraw.

It is supposed to last longer, but I wont know how long until I start it.

Mary, XR stays constant in the amount of medication through the dose. Reg xanax, as we know peaks in an hour, starts dropping at 2 hours, and between hour 3-5 it's gone. Hello inter dose withdraw.

It is supposed to last longer, but I wont know how long until I start it.

Yes, now, I know, but having not researched it, I thought , it was a 12 hour pill.  Believe me, I don't assume anything now.  How do you plan to taper it? 

I doubt I stayed on XR long enough for an "adjustment."

I hope this approach works for you. It's impossible to know until you try.

All the best - LA.

My  doc said take 3 Mgs twice a day, augment with regular as needed at 1 mg.  (But keep it at a minimum) The total of 6 Mgs equals my current xanax IR dosage.

I don't have the script yet, as my pharmacy has to order in 3 Mg tablets. There may be different instructions in the package.

I am to keep in touch weekly as I make the change. No idea how long it will last, and no idea how much I may need to augment with regular xanax until I get started.

Also, told I am to expect discomfort until my body adapts, but to be patient.

My  doc said take 3 Mgs twice a day, augment with regular as needed at 1 mg.  (But keep it at a minimum) The total of 6 Mgs equals my current xanax IR dosage.

I don't have the script yet, as my pharmacy has to order in 3 Mg tablets. There may be different instructions in the package.

I am to keep in touch weekly as I make the change. No idea how long it will last, and no idea how much I may need to augment with regular xanax until I get started.

Also, told I am to expect discomfort until my body adapts, but to be patient.

I am going to follow this, it will interest me.  I crossed to Valium and it was awful.  Maybe this will be a new way for people on Xanax  :D:smitten: :smitten:

Mary, looks like I am the guinea pig  :D :D :D. My medical team felt this was the least difficult crossover from xanax IR to another benzo.

My interdose wd is out of control, my taper has been awful. The intent is to get a stable dose of benzo in my system through the day (no more ups and horrible downs.) Once accomplished, or in other words, acclimated, I can resume tapering. As I am now, I can't move forward, and am in distress.

Additionally, I think we all know that tapering off of xanax IR is extremely difficult. Crossing to another benzo is something many of us have to do to in order to be able to taper to the finish line.

I will keep this thread active, and relay information periodically as I make this transition.

Mary, looks like I am the guinea pig  :D :D :D. My medical team felt this was the least difficult crossover from xanax IR to another benzo.

My interdose wd is out of control, my taper has been awful. The intent is to get a stable dose of benzo in my system through the day (no more ups and horrible downs.) Once accomplished, or in other words, acclimated, I can resume tapering. As I am now, I can't move forward, and am in distress.

Additionally, I think we all know that tapering off of xanax IR is extremely difficult. Crossing to another benzo is something many of us have to do to in order to be able to taper to the finish line.

I will keep this thread active, and relay information periodically as I make this transition.

Thanks Baddove, so many of us suffer going to Valium it would be so great if there was an easier way, not to mention, just having the same benzo in your body through the whole taper  :D. 💜

baddove, how are you going to taper off the XR pills? Most of those pills say "do not crush or chew" because it will destroy the extended release properties of the pill. There are different ways to make extended release pills. For all of them if you crush or dissolve the pill, it loses the extended release property and becomes like a regular IR pill.  There's one type of extended release pill where you can file away at it (i.e. a dry taper) and it will remain extended release. I used to work for a tablet manufacturer who made XR pills.

I don't know how I will taper off of them right now. I haven't even started them yet. I will have to adjust to them first, and get stable, then will work out a taper plan with my pdoc.

That's not a concern right now, acclimating to them is. Hopefully, they are effective and I get through the transition without too much drama.

I am aware they have to stay intact. I suspect lowering quantities to taper, they come in 50 mgs, so possibly cut one dose at a time to start, when the time comes.

As I am starting @ 300 mgs x2, I suspect cutting by .5 mgs will be the process. Another crossover would be another option.

Thanks Baddove, so many of us suffer going to Valium it would be so great if there was an easier way, not to mention, just having the same benzo in your body through the whole taper  :D. 💜

I just need to back up and say wow, medical team, I almost need a definition  ;D

I went from 3 doses of .375 X IR during the day, plus 1 .5 XR at night  - to - two doses .5 XR a  couple of months ago.  Instead of interdose sx 3-4 times a day I now have this problem twice a day.

My PCP decided it was the only way he would prescribe it after another doc stopped prescribing this class of meds.

Same goal as your docs- longer half life. I decreased .65 all at once and it was terribly hard for 2-3 weeks but then things did level out somewhat.

The conundrum is how to then get off this XR stuff!

I went from 3 doses of .375 X IR during the day, plus 1 .5 XR at night  - to - two doses .5 XR a  couple of months ago.  Instead of interdose sx 3-4 times a day I now have this problem twice a day.

My PCP decided it was the only way he would prescribe it after another doc stopped prescribing this class of meds.

Same goal as your docs- longer half life. I decreased .65 all at once and it was terribly hard for 2-3 weeks but then things did level out somewhat.

The conundrum is how to then get off this XR stuff!

You are the first person I have run across who has done what I am doing. I have a question, I feel very weird and almost dizzy, yet still anxious. Not quite relieved, yet can really feel this medication. This is day 2.  Is this how you felt at the start? Wondering if this is par for the transition.

I stayed in yesterday, didn't trust myself to drive or bike. this morning, I feel grossly undermedicated. I don't know if that is my body having wd from IR to XR, the adjustment, or an actual undermed.

Once you leveled out, did you feel like your anxiety/wd was under control?

Any input you can offer would be appreciated.

I also felt dizzy and didn’t realize at first that it was withdrawal. When I changed to the XR, I was also reducing my dose by over 1/3, so it’s hard to know if the anxiety and other symptoms were from the reduction or from the change in type of med.  I remember thinking that I was feeling like I used to feel when it was time for the next dose- only all the time.  It was pretty bad for about a week, my only plan was to get through the day. Getting outside or walking the dog was better than sitting around but I also was careful about driving, some days couldn’t make decisions. Reading a pleasant book helped, as did epsom salt in the tub- I soak my feet in the whirlpool, it helped with spasms.

It did level out. The withdrawal symptoms lasted about 2 weeks, at least there was great improvement in that time. The roller coaster effect of 4 daily doses was a relief to leave behind. For me the difference is there is never quite the sense of relief that I got taking the IR. I read about what the chemicals in your brain are doing in this process and it helped me to realize my body needs time to become accustomed to this medication. At this point , anxiety is greatly reduced but I’m still having spasms which I don’t know but suspect are from the Xanax.

Do everything you can to comfort yourself and don’t expect to accomplish much. Based on my experience, it will get better.

Thank you Nigella. I am experiencing exactly what you describe. That sense of feeling like it's time to medicate through the dose. And the "weirdness" Also, sxs, tight head, tight chest, wobbly head, and anxiety.

I am wondering how I will know it's time for a second dose, as I don't feel very medicated now. I guess wait for that horrid start of interdose will be a sign.

it looks like you went to only XR just last April?

I started in March. I just went to every 12 hours, but my switch was less complicated than yours. I was already on the .5 XR at night.

I also felt mildly nauseous at times and intensely hungry. Some foods made me feel better, I read your brain needs fat during this process , and I craved it. Also protein. Generally I’m a very healthy eater, ate nuts and pb and avocados but just “ had “ to have butter- and cheese.

The most helpful thing for me was acceptance. I read this, can’t take credit for it. But it makes sense; anxiety is related to fear, and if we are afraid what we’re experiencing is something wrong or dangerous, we’re going to feel even more anxious. Understanding and accepting that this is the way it is for now, and it’s to be expected, helped me get through it. Sometimes just deep breathing. Having said that, it would have been nice if my doctor had prepared me for this. Guess that’s why I’m on this site.

I will keep posting on the process, for other buddies who want to see how this transition goes.

My pdoc said I could take (2) 1 mg regular xanax a day.

This morning, I took a 1 mg regular xanax 4 hours in, I felt completely undermedicated. In 2 hours I felt better, and did a 13 mile bike ride, with lots of rests.  I fell off my bike once (no injury) and had heartburn and reflux.

I took my second dose of XR at 8 hours. I waited an hour, it felt nasty like the others, so 1 hour in, I took my second allowed 1 mg regular xanax.

I am now 2 hours into the XR, 1 hour into the regular 1 mg xanax. I got home from my bike ride 30 minutes ago. My symptoms are less intense, but still there. Have a wicked headache. What improved with this dose regimen was that I did not feel like my throat was closing up, no tight chest, and I am less agitated.

Still have facial tics, parasthesia in my face, head tightness and fatigue. I don't like how this med feels, hopefully, in time, my body will adapt.

My husband came home right after i got here, he was shocked I rode my bike 13 miles, both because of how off I feel, and because it's hot outside, and I melt in temps over 70' F.

I will keep posting on the process, for other buddies who want to see how this transition goes.

My pdoc said I could take (2) 1 mg regular xanax a day.

This morning, I took a 1 mg regular xanax 4 hours in, I felt completely undermedicated. In 2 hours I felt better, and did a 13 mile bike ride, with lots of rests.  I fell off my bike once (no injury) and had heartburn and reflux.

I took my second dose of XR at 8 hours. I waited an hour, it felt nasty like the others, so 1 hour in, I took my second allowed 1 mg regular xanax.

I am now 2 hours into the XR, 1 hour into the regular 1 mg xanax. I got home from my bike ride 30 minutes ago. My symptoms are less intense, but still there. Have a wicked headache. What improved with this dose regimen was that I did not feel like my throat was closing up, no tight chest, and I am less agitated.

Still have facial tics, parasthesia in my face, head tightness and fatigue. I don't like how this med feels, hopefully, in time, my body will adapt.

My husband came home right after i got here, he was shocked I rode my bike 13 miles, both because of how off I feel, and because it's hot outside, and I melt in temps over 70' F.

Wow, 13 miles, Yes, you are definitely giving your new Plan a workout.  I am cheering you on!  There has to be a better way than Valium.  :D Mary

Mary, can I ask you about your experience with Valium?

I’m planning to cross to V from this .5 Xanax XR. Don’t know if there’s a difference switching after having been on the XR with longer half- life. I’m assuming you were on the IR. 

Hope it’s ok to ask in this thread, I’m new and not sure how to navigate some things here.

Mary, can I ask you about your experience with Valium?

I’m planning to cross to V from this .5 Xanax XR. Don’t know if there’s a difference switching after having been on the XR with longer half- life. I’m assuming you were on the IR. 

Hope it’s ok to ask in this thread, I’m new and not sure how to navigate some things here.

I had a hard time with valium, it's so different than xanax.  I was very sedated and just sick feeling.

Xanax is really for anxiety, a large part of Valium is for sleep and muscle relaxation.  Really , to me, just completely different benzo's.  However, a lot of people have a much easier time than I had.  Everyone is just so different.  I would recommend you cross slowly, give your body plenty of time to adapt as you cross. Mary 🍀🍀🍀

I stopped taking the XR today.  The "adjustment," got worse each day. Never experienced something so horrendous. Can't even describe it. I absolutely will ever take it again, I would rather go CT (although I absolutely don't want to do that)

I can't deal with it anymore, and wont take it from here. Called my pdoc yesterday, and told them. Hoping they will reinstate the xanax IR (definitely some fear around that, scared as usual that they will just want to get rid of me, even though history shows that they are always trying to help.)They can take a few days to get back to me.

I have a stash that will last me about 10 days back on the IX, starting today.

I think for some people it works, but I am not one of them.