Contemplating ssri after stopping benzo

[Ju...]

Has anyone had a good experience taking an antidepressant after getting through the worst benzo withdrawals?

I’m 7+ months off and I feel much better than I did 6 months ago but man this damn depression and panic just wont let up. I don’t know if it’s underlying panic/depression I’ve had all the time or if it’s magnified from stopping the benzo.

I know many family and friends that went through a detox, 30 day inpatient program and were put on meds specifyto then after beating their street drug or Rx addiction and they all seem to be doing great (10-15 years later)

Here I am white knuckling this miserable situation because of all the internet horror stories.

Is there anyone that can say ssri worked well for them long term? Or is every story a horror story?

Like many of us I’m struggling. Tired of this brain fog and dp/dr and panic. Oh and the health anxiety is f-ing exhausting

If everyone has a horror story I respect that, my last question is do ssri aggravate benzo withdrawals or make it worse?

Man I know people taking 10mg of Xanax a day and went to a program, got clean and was out on ssri and been doing great since. Wtf? Lol

I have seen a lot of SSRI horror stories on this forum. There are threads of people going through WD trying to get off SSRI's after already going through benzo WD.

There is also a massive debate in the medical community going on as to if SSRI's even do anything at all.

My thoughts on it are this: The medical profession and it's pills have already screwed me over once. I will try any and all natural methods of coping before even taking one of their pills again.

The last thing I would point out, and this is a HUGE deal, is physical fitness. Fitness and happiness go hand in hand. It takes 2 months of consistent exercise to notice any changes at all. It takes around 6 months to get truly fit.

I would try fitness long before I would go on SSRI's if I weren't already in shape.

I don't know why people are so adverse to the idea of getting in shape, I have been doing martial arts for 28 years. I am also not even remotely depressed despite going through withdrawal right now. When a country has the highest rate of obesity and the highest rate of depression at the same time, you would think a correlation would be drawn. I guess the fact that they are trying to pass "fat" off as just an alternate lifestyle choice is a big part of the problem.

Anyhow that's my 2 cents, not looking to hurt anyone's feelings, I only mean to help. It would be much easier to say nothing at all.

Dr's put me on ad's quite awhile ago for migraines, I can honestly say, I never felt any benefit from them, never had a real problem stopping.  It's just my opinion, but after the benzo horror, I wouldn't start them if I were you, but we are all different  :)

Dr's put me on ad's quite awhile ago for migraines, I can honestly say, I never felt any benefit from them, never had a real problem stopping.  It's just my opinion, but after the benzo horror, I wouldn't start them if I were you, but we are all different  :)

Thanks Mary.

Are you aware of any interaction between ssri and someone who’s either detoxing from benzos or is off  benzos. A reaction like someone drinking a red bull 4 weeks into stopping benzos. Lol.

I have seen a lot of SSRI horror stories on this forum. There are threads of people going through WD trying to get off SSRI's after already going through benzo WD.

There is also a massive debate in the medical community going on as to if SSRI's even do anything at all.

My thoughts on it are this: The medical profession and it's pills have already screwed me over once. I will try any and all natural methods of coping before even taking one of their pills again.

The last thing I would point out, and this is a HUGE deal, is physical fitness. Fitness and happiness go hand in hand. It takes 2 months of consistent exercise to notice any changes at all. It takes around 6 months to get truly fit.

I would try fitness long before I would go on SSRI's if I weren't already in shape.

I don't know why people are so adverse to the idea of getting in shape, I have been doing martial arts for 28 years. I am also not even remotely depressed despite going through withdrawal right now. When a country has the highest rate of obesity and the highest rate of depression at the same time, you would think a correlation would be drawn. I guess the fact that they are trying to pass "fat" off as just an alternate lifestyle choice is a big part of the problem.

Anyhow that's my 2 cents, not looking to hurt anyone's feelings, I only mean to help. It would be much easier to say nothing at all.

I couldn’t agree more. I’m a exercise nut myself. Same with diet. I portion and weigh out all of my food. We meal prep the entire week. I’ve been into weight training for a long time. Love it.

My frustration is I’ve also been getting anxiety and slight panic while training. It’s ridiculous. I try so hard to fight this thing and although I’m still alive and squeaking through the day, I feel like I’m just existing and not living. Like all of us.

I couldn’t agree more. I’m a exercise nut myself. Same with diet. I portion and weigh out all of my food. We meal prep the entire week. I’ve been into weight training for a long time. Love it.

My frustration is I’ve also been getting anxiety and slight panic while training. It’s ridiculous. I try so hard to fight this thing and although I’m still alive and squeaking through the day, I feel like I’m just existing and not living. Like all of us.

I have the same issue right now. The feeling of my heart beating hard causes my brain to want to panic. I just do forms at low intensity to keep up my cardio while I am going through this. I do very light walking after a workout until my heart slows down just to dodge the anxiety.

I view it pretty much in the same light as being hospitalized for brain damage. I keep my self expectations low and just take baby steps towards recovery.

So far things are going pretty good. I have some bad days, but I find a nap fixes most of those days for me. Sleep is the great reset.

In some ways we are existing more than living at the moment, but the same is true for anyone who is recovering from a bad injury. I have no doubt that I will recover, but I am going to need some more practice at coping with the anxiety once i'm past the withdrawal.

Considering it was a pounding heart and concerns about a heart condition that got me into this mess, I am pretty sure all the practice I get now at overcoming it after a training session should do the trick. Just stay positive. :)

I have the same issue right now. The feeling of my heart beating hard causes my brain to want to panic. I just do forms at low intensity to keep up my cardio while I am going through this. I do very light walking after a workout until my heart slows down just to dodge the anxiety.

I view it pretty much in the same light as being hospitalized for brain damage. I keep my self expectations low and just take baby steps towards recovery.

So far things are going pretty good. I have some bad days, but I find a nap fixes most of those days for me. Sleep is the great reset.

In some ways we are existing more than living at the moment, but the same is true for anyone who is recovering from a bad injury. I have no doubt that I will recover, but I am going to need some more practice at coping with the anxiety once i'm past the withdrawal.

Considering it was a pounding heart and concerns about a heart condition that got me into this mess, I am pretty sure all the practice I get now at overcoming it after a training session should do the trick. Just stay positive. :)

I took a couple months off the gym during the a Ute stage. Then when I started going back I did leave a few times out of fear or whilenhaving anxiety. Lately I have this attitude of “their going to carry me out in a stretcher for me to leave before I’m done” lol. I get this “F*ck you” attitude towards myself. It’s weird. Straight up anxiety/panic I can somehow muscle through (mostly) it’s the lightheaded, dizzy/vertigo feeling that bothers me. Doesn’t feel real my life. Sick of it

I took a couple months off the gym during the a Ute stage. Then when I started going back I did leave a few times out of fear or whilenhaving anxiety. Lately I have this attitude of “their going to carry me out in a stretcher for me to leave before I’m done” lol. I get this “F*ck you” attitude towards myself. It’s weird. Straight up anxiety/panic I can somehow muscle through (mostly) it’s the lightheaded, dizzy/vertigo feeling that bothers me. Doesn’t feel real my life. Sick of it

Your nervous system is healing. Vertigo is a nervous system issue. So the good news is once you heal the vertigo will be gone. The bad news is of course how long the healing takes. One thing i'm pretty sure of is that after this experience we are all going to have some serious Zen like patience.  ;)

Thanks Mary.

Are you aware of any interaction between ssri and someone who’s either detoxing from benzos or is off  benzos. A reaction like someone drinking a red bull 4 weeks into stopping benzos. Lol.

Truthfully, I wouldn't drink a Red Bull for a long time :). Maybe a cup of coffee or two?  I just wouldn't risk it, but again, we are all different  :)

NHF1976,

Your nervous system is healing. Vertigo is a nervous system issue. So the good news is once you heal the vertigo will be gone. The bad news is of course how long the healing takes. One thing i'm pretty sure of is that after this experience we are all going to have some serious Zen like patience.

]

Boy, do I hope you're right!  ;D:thumbsup:

Thanks Mary.

Truthfully, I wouldn't drink a Red Bull for a long time :). Maybe a cup of coffee or two?  I just wouldn't risk it, but again, we are all different  :)

Hey Mary. Thanks for the reply. Let me try to type what I’m asking.

Are there any known negative interactions between ssri and benzos? (When detoxing off a benzo) I’m not on neither nor have I ever been on a ssri. But if I go on it 8-9-10 months after stopping benzos are there any stories of ssri increasing or aggravating benzo withdrawals?

Thanks Mary.

Hey Mary. Thanks for the reply. Let me try to type what I’m asking.

Are there any known negative interactions between ssri and benzos? (When detoxing off a benzo) I’m not on neither nor have I ever been on a ssri. But if I go on it 8-9-10 months after stopping benzos are there any stories of ssri increasing or aggravating benzo withdrawals?

That is truly a question I am not qualified to answer.  I would ask that question on the Withdrawal Support thread, a lot of people will see it and you will get more people with that experience to give you their opinion. Mary  :)

Are there any known negative interactions between ssri and benzos? (When detoxing off a benzo) I’m not on neither nor have I ever been on a ssri. But if I go on it 8-9-10 months after stopping benzos are there any stories of ssri increasing or aggravating benzo withdrawals

Why on earth would you go out of your way to go on an SSRI ? Your body is in withdrawals because of your Benzo, not because of SSRI.

And your friends that are on them from the outside looks good. But they are hell to come off. I just don’t know why you would put yourself in psychiatrists way to alleviate your situation. It’s like people want to really self sabotage themselves sometimes.

• 1 month later...

Wait, people actually drink Red Bull whilst tapering their benzos? Absolutely SMH.  :nono:

I have never touched a Red Bull, and don't plan to either. The risk of cardiac arrest from consuming them is well known.

Dave.

Why on earth would you go out of your way to go on an SSRI ? Your body is in withdrawals because of your Benzo, not because of SSRI.

And your friends that are on them from the outside looks good. But they are hell to come off. I just don’t know why you would put yourself in psychiatrists way to alleviate your situation. It’s like people want to really self sabotage themselves sometimes.

You are 100% right. Take it from me. I took Paxil for 2 days, 2 freaking days and I got withdrawals or "discontinuation syndrome" as the idiot doctors call it. IMO, SSRI's are just as dangerous, if not more dangerous and addictive as a benzo. I tossed my Paxil out after that. No SSRI for me, no siree.

I have experienced huge success on AD's - 8 years of feeling just perfect - should never have stopped taking them. This time round, nothing seems to be working for my anxiety and depression. My theory is that the benzos prescribed for me while adjusting to the AD's might be contributing to preventing them from working. Hopefully I will feel better when the benzos are finally out of my system. If all goes well I will be benzo free next month.

I have experienced huge success on AD's - 8 years of feeling just perfect - should never have stopped taking them. This time round, nothing seems to be working for my anxiety and depression. My theory is that the benzos prescribed for me while adjusting to the AD's might be contributing to preventing them from working. Hopefully I will feel better when the benzos are finally out of my system. If all goes well I will be benzo free next month.

Sorry to hear that Lilly. The benzo wds are so long and so hard that I could t imagine anything providing relief other than more benzos.

I asked the questions about ssris because there days/weeks where I’m miserable. All of the severe wds appear to be over although there are some still lingering but I feel I’m way past the acute stage.

I’m going to hold off for now.

Good luck lilly

Don't do it unless you really think so. All Prozac did was make me feel manic going on then put 40 pounds on me. I've been tapering off and stopped yesterday. On top of benzo w/d coming off is terrible.

I don't think being on them helped at all with benzo w/d anyway because it was pretty bad before I started the prozac taper now its gotten a bit worse but I think it's the w/d of both.

Thanks Mary.

me neither..one of my triggers is too much caffeine or stimulant herbs or stimulant supplemenets like is in red bull.

Your nervous system is healing. Vertigo is a nervous system issue. So the good news is once you heal the vertigo will be gone. The bad news is of course how long the healing takes. One thing i'm pretty sure of is that after this experience we are all going to have some serious Zen like patience;)

yes we are! already practicing my bhuddhist zenwarrior face