It's time... completely healed

[al...]

It's time for me to write my success story.  I could have written it a few years ago but just wanted to be absolutely sure. Also, once you're healed you forget about the horror of benzo withdrawal.

My story began over 20 years ago when I was prescribed klonopin for sleep. Over the years I built up a tolerance to the drug where I was taking 8mgs at night to get to sleep.  My prescribing doctor retired and I found it impossible to find anyone else who would prescribe that amount............. that's when all hell broke loose!  I had no idea about tapering off this drug, so I figured I would go to a rehab and let the "professionals "  get me off klonopin safely.  They gave me an eight day taper.  After the  8 day taper it was like someone through me into hell

I went home and ended up on the floor of my small bedroom for eight months. I was completely  incapacitated. The pain and horror I endured are difficult to describe with words.  I had all the symptoms. My skin burned like it was on fire, i couldnt sleep , i felt this all consuming fear 24/7 , horrible intrusive thoughts,  circular thoughts,  otherworldly panic and anxiety and many others. I knew I wasn't going to make it much longer if I didn't get help. Fortunately I found a doc who was willing to put me back on 2 mg so I could taper from there.  I tapered off that amount over 2 years.

Things got better after I reinstated,  but i still had symptoms and after each cut i would have more symptoms but it was never as bad as that cold turkey i went through.  It was a long process , sometimes very painful but I made it. Sometimes I thought the pain would never end that the tapering process woudnt work . It took forever.  But i came out the other side.

I was a Really bad case and if I could get through it to complete healing you can too!!!.  You will!!!  Today I work , go on vacations,  exercise ,  eat what i want,  sleep like a baby at night and am back to normal.  If i can do it so can you.  Just keep believing,  healing will happen.  It may take a while but it will happen.

God bless ,

Allen

So glad to hear you made it and that it can be done.

I am tapering my last medication and have a ways to go. 

I pray I have the success that you do.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah!  Very happy to read this.  Thank you for coming back to give us hope.  Like you, I was up to 8mg  of K, taken for 15+ years.  I'm nearing three years off, and certainly getting better,  but still in the fight.  Reading your success story was just what I needed to make it thru another day of this.

With gratitude,

WR

Allen, NYC

Reading your success stories (and others) are definitely a ray of hope for those of us still going thru the process.

Thanks for sharing Allen.  I took klonopin for 27 years, and have been off 8 months and I'm really not feeling great.  It's great to read your story.  When did you end your taper?  How long have you been off benzos?

Im so happy you made it through your nightmare! Sounds like you have a great life ahead of you. You deserve the best in life after what you endured. Your one tuff cookie!! Cograts!!!!

Allen, awesome.

I am 106 days off clonazepam as of today. I started a taper April 25, 2017 and finished March 14, 2018. It was difficult in that I had no energy, never slept well, and some anxiety. I almost got fired from my job for falling asleep at lunch. The lack of energy was terribel. The last part of my taper I used the liquid titration method and it worked really well. My taper wasn't that bad most days. The slow taper worked better than cutting pills as the big drops dont occur.

The whole winter was hard. I think I was kind of numb really looking back now. I dont remember a lot except that I felt bad but not horrible. No energy! About two weeks after my jump I noticed waves of paranoia and short temper, my legs were like lead weights. I experienced a lot to the common symptoms.

But I made and I have many more good days than bad. I found that if I can sleep I am usually pretty good. I dug out my old CPAP machine and wow, I have had many very good days. But its no guarantee of sleep. I also found I have to keep as much stress out of my life right now as possible. The least bit of stress and its a bad night of sleep and a bad next day.

I know how it feels no to feel better and each day is another chance to feel good again. It's great. I hope to write a success story soon. Not yet but I am close.

Again, congrats to Allen. I enjoy reading the stories...

JStone

Congratulations!!!  I’m so sorry you had to suffer that horrible CT experience. Cruel. But such wonderful news that life is normal again! It’s amazing to me that ppl forget abt w/d. Enjoy your newfound freedom!

It's time for me to write my success story.  I could have written it a few years ago but just wanted to be absolutely sure. Also, once you're healed you forget about the horror of benzo withdrawal.

My story began over 20 years ago when I was prescribed klonopin for sleep. Over the years I built up a tolerance to the drug where I was taking 8mgs at night to get to sleep.  My prescribing doctor retired and I found it impossible to find anyone else who would prescribe that amount............. that's when all hell broke loose!  I had no idea about tapering off this drug, so I figured I would go to a rehab and let the "professionals "  get me off klonopin safely.  They gave me an eight day taper.  After the  8 day taper it was like someone through me into hell

I went home and ended up on the floor of my small bedroom for eight months. I was completely  incapacitated. The pain and horror I endured are difficult to describe with words.  I had all the symptoms. My skin burned like it was on fire, i couldnt sleep , i felt this all consuming fear 24/7 , horrible intrusive thoughts,  circular thoughts,  otherworldly panic and anxiety and many others. I knew I wasn't going to make it much longer if I didn't get help. Fortunately I found a doc who was willing to put me back on 2 mg so I could taper from there.  I tapered off that amount over 2 years.

Things got better after I reinstated,  but i still had symptoms and after each cut i would have more symptoms but it was never as bad as that cold turkey i went through.  It was a long process , sometimes very painful but I made it. Sometimes I thought the pain would never end that the tapering process woudnt work . It took forever.  But i came out the other side.

I was a Really bad case and if I could get through it to complete healing you can too!!!.  You will!!!  Today I work , go on vacations,  exercise ,  eat what i want,  sleep like a baby at night and am back to normal.  If i can do it so can you.  Just keep believing,  healing will happen.  It may take a while but it will happen.

God bless ,

Allen

Inspirational. Well done

• 1 month later...
Took about a year to heal to where I was completely functional  .  Took a couple of years to get my sleep back to normal

Congrats Allen.....well done.

I was 8 months off after a brutal detox when I joined BB in 2013. Wish I had more knowledge then and reinstated like you , PG and Megan  , started a sensible taper ...

Thanks for sharing.....this should be an eyeopener for cold turkey victims. ( long term users ).

Ya, reinstatement saved my life.  I remember people on here advising me not to reinstate..  glad I didn't listen or I wouldn't be writing this.  Long term users should never cold turkey and if they do and are having severe symptoms they should reinstate and come off SLOWLY.  Least painful way to go

Ya, reinstatement saved my life.  I remember people on here advising me not to reinstate..  glad I didn't listen or I wouldn't be writing this.  Long term users should never cold turkey and if they do and are having severe symptoms they should reinstate and come off SLOWLY.  Least painful way to go

Fully agree with you. Too little too late for many of us... >:(

• 4 weeks later...
I have all the symptoms you describe. Absolute mental torture every second of the day.  Did you ever come off and on over the 20 years you were on clonazepam?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...