Could stopping Zyrtec cause a wave?

[Er...]

I see a lot about flare ups in here from starting different meds (including Zyrtec) but I don’t see much about stopping it.

I’m 41 months off and have been a daily Zyrtec taker for years. About 3 weeks ago I stopped to try and see if I could stop antihistamines for a while and it may have thrown me into a wave. In the past few years I seemed to be able to eat what I want for the most part but since stopping Zyrtec I wonder if I am more sensitive to foods also.

At any rate, could the stopping of the Zyrtec be the cause for a wave? Could it have anything to do with high histamine foods now not being suppressed when I eat them? Just throwing ideas out there. Thanks.

You might be on to something. I missed a day of Zyrtec and had a horrific reaction to rotisserie chicken from Frys. I think it was the autolyzed yeast! I'm very sensitive to msg as well. My guess is that tapering causes the cns to try to re-regulate. All kinds of crazy ensues. BP spikes and dips, food sensitivities (for me, an immediate stuffy nose and palpitations/skipped beats), insomnia, dizziness, you name it. Hang in there. I am of a mindset that This, Too, Shall Pass.

You might be on to something. I missed a day of Zyrtec and had a horrific reaction to rotisserie chicken from Frys. I think it was the autolyzed yeast! I'm very sensitive to msg as well. My guess is that tapering causes the cns to try to re-regulate. All kinds of crazy ensues. BP spikes and dips, food sensitivities (for me, an immediate stuffy nose and palpitations/skipped beats), insomnia, dizziness, you name it. Hang in there. I am of a mindset that This, Too, Shall Pass.

I'm thinking about starting a daily antihistamine again just to see if it makes me feel any better.  I've been not doing great since stopping the Zyrtec.  Especially when it comes to food.  But who knows, it could just be a coincidence.

I see a lot about flare ups in here from starting different meds (including Zyrtec) but I don’t see much about stopping it.

I’m 41 months off and have been a daily Zyrtec taker for years. About 3 weeks ago I stopped to try and see if I could stop antihistamines for a while and it may have thrown me into a wave. In the past few years I seemed to be able to eat what I want for the most part but since stopping Zyrtec I wonder if I am more sensitive to foods also.

At any rate, could the stopping of the Zyrtec be the cause for a wave? Could it have anything to do with high histamine foods now not being suppressed when I eat them? Just throwing ideas out there. Thanks.

I this Wikipedia entry they talk about the sedative effect of cetirizine. This is exactly what I experienced. Cannot take any antihistamines, they make me too drowsy and depressed.

• 1 month later...
Some of the symptoms you may be experiencing may be due to a histamine intolerance and stopping the medication triggered a flare up.

• 11 months later...

This is my original thread from about a year ago but while searching this popped up so I wanted to reply to it. I didn’t remember posting this.

I went back on Zyrtec not long after originally posting this because of allergies. Now that it is summer again I stopped taking it 2 days ago and today I’m in a pretty bad wave. It makes me thinking that the stopping of Zyrtec might be causing the rare waves I still get.