Muscles being attacked

[Si...]

Anyone ever get a feeling your muscles are being attacked like autoimmune style, leading to muscle weakness all over body? I can’t tell if this is WD or another disease. I keep getting “attacked” at night and remain bedridden.

I recently was thinking I have a systemic yeast infection, and that's what was causing my fatigue.  Though, I guess it is probably just withdrawal.  I do think it lowers the immune system.

Yes totally weak, and my muscles are wasting away. Sometimes i workout, sometimes i don't. Never get bigger, because i don't workout enough, and i leave too much space in between..so motivation drops. I'm going to hit the gym anyways, i can't watch my legs become sticks. Then feeling weak all day...until the night i feel energized, and can't sleep sometimes.

Yes! I wanted to reply to you on this thread because when I had this it felt like my muscles were eating themselves. I searched everywhere and  couldn't find anyone who had this symptom and it freaked me out. I was extremelty weak to the point where I was totally non-functional. I thought for sure I had ALS or autoimmune or Myasthenia Gravis but it was indeed Benzo withdrawal. That sensation lasted a good 6 months for me and now I can say that it has left and I have been functional for the past 5 months. Ocassionally I will get a little wave of it here and there but nothing like before.

It is truly an awful feeling and it does feel exactly like muscles are being attacked. It is from withdrawal so please don't worry as it does go away in time.

Yes! I wanted to reply to you on this thread because when I had this it felt like my muscles were eating themselves. I searched everywhere and  couldn't find anyone who had this symptom and it freaked me out. I was extremelty weak to the point where I was totally non-functional. I thought for sure I had ALS or autoimmune or Myasthenia Gravis but it was indeed Benzo withdrawal. That sensation lasted a good 6 months for me and now I can say that it has left and I have been functional for the past 5 months. Ocassionally I will get a little wave of it here and there but nothing like before.

It is truly an awful feeling and it does feel exactly like muscles are being attacked. It is from withdrawal so please don't worry as it does go away in time.

Linnie thanks for answering.  I am so happy to hear it went away for you. 

Wow, yes I definitely have this. My muscles are attacked 24/7 they actually never stop moving. At first they were so weak that I couldn't walk or even pick up my arms, was bedridden as well. Then felt like I was trying to walk....only with heavy weights tying me down.

Then my muscles began contracting/like firing off in my whole body. They currently still do it nonstop.... excruciating. So bad you can see them move over and over, has been this way for 5 weeks now(legs are the worst). They also have spasms on top of that every couple minutes in different areas of body. Always cranks up worse at night when I lay down or when I use my muscles just to walk around. Or use my arms to get food or brush teeth or anything for that matter. Kept me awake ALL night last night was so bad.(already have insomnia problems) the more I use them the more they contract and spasm...so very hard to build any strength back in muscles that are constantly firing.

By far the most debilitating symptom because if you are bedridden, you have no life at all. Painful, agony, nonstop suffering, nothing to make it stop, depressing, boring, life altering,and just downright ridiculous!

I feel so bad for you because I know bad you feel. sometimes the weakness feels like someone stuck a huge syringe in my body and sucked all the life and energy out, it's awful

Linnie- glad to know it went away!....hope my muscles dont keep moving for 5 months!!!

On a side note I too have been afraid of autoimmune, and one of my test showed elevated GAD antibodies, sucks because it shouldn't be there and I have to do more autoimmune testing now...a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) which will put me on........that's right bed rest!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Really hope it goes away for us all!!!

Yes totally weak, and my muscles are wasting away. Sometimes i workout, sometimes i don't. Never get bigger, because i don't workout enough, and i leave too much space in between..so motivation drops. I'm going to hit the gym anyways, i can't watch my legs become sticks. Then feeling weak all day...until the night i feel energized, and can't sleep sometimes.

What he said.

Been there! It was awful. Much MUCH better at 12 months... almost healed.  I actually could see my muscles wasting away.... now they are building back up. It was the Benzos for sure!

5 months off my muscles are starting to come back. Yay!

Yay, indeed! My husband even remarked about how I managed to get a jar open by myself the other day, without having to beat the shit out of the lid, or run it under hot water, or just give it to him. Slow progress, to be sure, but progress nonetheless! Not being able to open jars of almost any kind for the last year or two has been annoying as hell. Been nice to know that it was due to tolerance, and not that I was getting older and more infirm. I could barely get the damn back door open at my lowest point. Still hurts to do it (arthritis), but at least I don't have to worry now about locking myself out of the house.

• 1 year later...
Just an update: I seem to be in a wave again because these symptoms have returned. Just goes to show you how the windows/ waves healing works. This symptom has been coming and going now. Seems to come back in stressful periods. Came back during the pandemic start. I really don't think it's anything to worry about , just another annoying and scary benzo symptom.

• 2 years later...
Hello how are you guys doing with this now im only 26 and just about 2 months off 10 years of 3mg K use my muscles burn a little bit but seems to be wasting away so fast I run my own cleaning business I’ve continued to work and walk in the evenings but I’m so scared I am going to become incapable of doing this unless still have a numbing sensation all over my body that has been there since end on my 2 month fast taper TIA!

My muscles wasted very quickly when was still doing Pilates everyday.

Hello how are you guys doing with this now im only 26 and just about 2 months off 10 years of 3mg K use my muscles burn a little bit but seems to be wasting away so fast I run my own cleaning business I’ve continued to work and walk in the evenings but I’m so scared I am going to become incapable of doing this unless still have a numbing sensation all over my body that has been there since end on my 2 month fast taper TIA

Hello how are you guys doing with this now im only 26 and just about 2 months off 10 years of 3mg K use my muscles burn a little bit but seems to be wasting away so fast I run my own cleaning business I’ve continued to work and walk in the evenings but I’m so scared I am going to become incapable of doing this unless still have a numbing sensation all over my body that has been there since end on my 2 month fast taper TIA!

Hello  betterdayz4 Welcome to the forum.

You might not get any replies on this thread its over 2 years old.  Feel free to start your own topic!  I am sorry you’re having to go through this, I know its scary. Benzos should be tapered off slowly.  A cold turkey from benzos can be a rough way to withdraw and some severe, nasty symptoms can result. The first 6 weeks or so post taper or post cold turkey is known as the acute phase of withdrawal and can be the most difficult time of all when symptoms can be at their strongest. The symptoms will eventually ease the further out you go but it can take while for the central nervous system to heal.  You will get better, that's for sure. and  you'll be given plenty of support here as you continue to heal.

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal 

What is happening in your brain

Welcome aboard

Magrita  :thumbsup: