Could this be because of withdrawl ?

[th...]

Hi,

I've been helping my wife taper from 2mg K... I've been doing a very slow taper and it seemed like she was doing great.  We went from 2mg down to 0.5mg over about a year.

My wife of 23 years is the best, she really is the best and I love her deeply.  We have the BEST relationship, truly the best.  Not meaning to sound conceited or anything but it is great, I love being with her and hearing her thoughts on anything.  She is so sweet to me and wants to spend time with me too.  On top of it all she is the most physically beautiful person I have ever seen....and she loves me, yes me (I know, I can't believe it either!).  The first time I saw her (I was 9th grade and she was 8th) my world stopped.  We have known each other since then but only began dating at 23 and got married at 25.

So back to what has been happening.  We've been cutting down from 2mg and we decided to stop on 0.5mg for a few weeks.  Remembering how my taper was (just awful!) I wanted to make sure she didn't suffer the same thing and it seemed like she was doing ok.  She was sleeping ok (but not as much as when she was on 2mg, which I thought was progress).  She started going to the gym and exercising (which is always great).  However it seemed that she was getting depressed.  I remember her before she started K and I remember times when she was a little down so I just thought that it was something she will get over.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I had a premonition that woke me up with a start and over the next week I got weird feelings... I just couldn't put my finger on it.

It turns out that when we were at a party a man made a pass at her, she liked it and reached out to him and they started texting.  They met up twice and I believe things didn't progress more

than just a kiss (I believe her).  I found out and things have stopped.

Now I am not naive to try and blame her behavior solely on possible withdrawl symptoms but I am certain that it contributed to it in some way.

When we've been discussing why she would do something like this she explained that when she was young she had a very similar undiagnosed 'breakdown' and she is feeling exactly the same way now where she feels destructive and doesn't care about her relationships.  It is so weird and surreal because I know she loves me deeply (as much as she ever has) and doesn't understand why this would have broken our marriage up.  It is almost like she has lost some grasp on reality.

Do you think the WD process triggered a dormant mental condition ?

Or am I just being stupid because I can't believe this is happening to us and the only excuse I can come up with is that she must be mad ?

Thanks

thisIstMe

Hi and welcome to bb.  I know that hurt you very much and I am really sorry.  Withdrawal often takes away ones feeling and they become terrified those feelings are gone forever.  IMO, she just felt something and wanted to hold on to a feeling of any kind.  I truly believe it was withdrawal and hope you don't let it break up your relationship.  Wishing you the best of luck, Mary 🍀

Many people have this as a withdrawal symptom and with time , they recover all their feelings !

Thank you Mary, your words mean the world to me.

I will not let this come between my wife and me, we are perfect for each other.

I really appreciate your words.

Cheers

thisIstMe

I’m so sorry that happened. I can speak for myself and say during my taper I’ve experienced very bad judgement at times and done and thought about things I normally wouldn’t. I would give her a pass for a while until she’s healed. She’s not herself right now. Take care.