3 1/2 weeks of Klonopin at various dosages

[Th...]

I recently was admitted to the hospital for panic disorder. I was in the hospital for a total of three weeks. For the first week I was administered Klonpin twice a day at 0.5 mg. I then wanted the dosage lowered to 0.25 mg twice a day, since I did not want to be addicted to this substance. I was hoping the Lexapro would kick in and assist with my breathing issues that came as a result of my last severe panic attack, which resulted in me having shortness of breath during my stay as I was told due to anxiety related issues.

I have been taking lexapro for 3 1/2 weeks with each week increasing to 10, 15, and 20 mg with no effect on me. Prior to my discharge the psychiatrist prescribed me to take 1 mg of Klonpin twice a day for two weeks until the lexapro kicks in.

I spoke to my psychiatrist today after being discharged and he informed me due to my OCD tendencies and compulsive thoughts I should be on Prozac. He informed me to switch to 10 mg of lexapro for a week and switch over to Prozac at a prescribed dosage of 10, 20, 30, and 40 mg, increasing the dosage each week until I reach 40 mg. He also informed me to cut the 1 mg Klonpin pill in half and take it every 4 hours. Basically, I will be taking 0.5 mg of Klonopin every 4 hours and will attempt to ween me off of the drug once the Prozac kicks in.

Has anyone been advised of this scenario. Or is it reasonable to take Klonopin 4x a day every four at at a dosage of 0.5 mg to total 2 mg.

While taking Klonpin I don’t really feel much of an effect on my body and this is not a substance I wish to abuse or make my body dependent on. 

Has anyone had any experience with this scenario or input?

Thank you

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We are glad you decided to join us.  You'll find a lot of support and information on this forum, which is the only one of its kind online.  I have no experience with Lexapro or Prozac, but others here may.  Is this the first time you've ever been on benzos?

For those starting a taper, we generally recommend starting out at a rate of 5 to 10% every 10-14 days, then adjusting the taper to suit your own needs.  Note: very short term users may be able to taper faster.

Withdrawal symptoms, which vary widely but commonly include anxiety and insomnia, often occur during a taper, but these are temporary and will get better in time.  In general, first tapers are easier, but cold turkeys or multiple withdrawals may be more severe and longer lasting.  Here are a few links to get you started:

The Ashton Manual, a concise reference for tapering and symptom issues.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Once again, welcome!

Thank you for the welcoming.

Yes this is my first experience with benzos and prescription drugs in general. I was just skeptical about the fact that my psychiatrist informed me to take 0.5 mg 4 times a day momentarily

because from my understanding Klonpin stays in your system longer, than day Xanax but the total mg usage currently is 2mg. Is that a moderate amount that may not cause extreme withdrawals when taken under a 2 week window while slowly being tapered off?

Thanks