Hi will be nice to know I'm not alone

[Ho...]

Hi I have joined the group to get any help getting off benzos i have been on them for about 45 years legal and perscribed for about 31 years the other 14 years when I could get them in the last 15 years side effects of them and pain medicine have got really bad memory is gone all kinds of other problems I'm scared that  the damage is irreversible I am down to about .15 mg clonipan a day but mentally I am having a rough time paranoid lots of axiety fear want to say hi hope to meet some people and thank everyone for being here and your in my prayers

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We are glad you decided to join us.  You'll find a lot of support and information on this forum, which is the only one of its kind online.  You've been on benzos a long time, and are nearly benzo free. Congratulations!  This can be a hard thing to do, but it is worthwhile in the end.

For those starting a taper, we generally recommend starting out at a rate of 5 to 10% every 10-14 days, then adjusting the taper to suit your own needs.  Note: very short term users may be able to taper faster.

Withdrawal symptoms, which vary widely but commonly include anxiety and insomnia, often occur during a taper, but these are temporary and will get better in time.  In general, first tapers are easier, but cold turkeys or multiple withdrawals may be more severe and longer lasting.  Here are a few links to get you started:

The Ashton Manual, a concise reference for tapering and symptom issues.  Chapter III contains excellent descriptions of common symptoms such as muscle issues, anxiety, and hyper-awareness

PostWithdrawal Support

Once again, welcome!

Hope, my story is similar. I took benzos nightly for thirty years, as I believed I could not sleep without them. The first 20 years I got them illegally, which is something I am NOT proud of now. The last 12 years, legally prescribed. I was a nurse back then and benzos were not accounted for. If you ever saw that TV show Nurse Jackie, you sort of know my story. Or House. I was forced to go cold turkey of them seven years ago, and my wd was simply horrible. But I survived it, with the help of BB. Without this site, I most likely would have ended up on some psych ward, diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic. I was THAT sick and crazy back then.

Now, 7 years later, I am so healthy and happy, it still amazes me. Due to benzos I did suffer through several injuries (due to falls). My last bad fall I broke my femur and knee. MAJOR injury. A decent surgeon managed to put me back together again but I will always walk with a limp. At least now I don't need a walker or a cane to walk!

No mater how bad you feel now, please know this will get better, in time. It just takes time to heal from benzos. Please try the things people will suggest to you, in order to cope with wd symptoms. People here do know what they are talking about.

BIG hug to you,

east