Should you be able to just “push” through this?

[Ru...]

My sister believes that I should be doing a better job of “pushing” through the this.  Through the horrific waves.  Most times it is all I can do just to survive.  I would love to hear your thoughts about “pushing” through it.  Thanks. 

What your sister believes is irrelevant.  She has not been through this or she wouldn’t have the “belief” she has.

Pushing through involves taxing your CNS sometimes.  That increases cortisol and cortisol increases symptoms.  Listen to your body and do the best you can.  Keeping yourself calm is best way to get through this recovery process.

Sofa

Be gentle with yourself and treat yourself with kindness.  Not sure if your sister has ever experienced benzo withdrawal ...  if not, then she has no idea what you’re going through. Many survivors say that it’s the most difficult thing they’ve ever experienced!

My sister is the exact same. She tells me to “push through” as well. I sent her the link below. Even still I know she doesn’t and never will understand. I know it’s hard but try to remember that other people don’t need to understand.  We want compassion from people but some people are not capable of that. Accepting this has helped me tremendously though it’s never easy. What has helped me is choosing who to vent to and who to leave out. Unfortunately my sister and I don’t speak much anymore and that’s ok. Life changes people. It’s sad but true. I have a handful of friends I go to when I need to vent. When we try to get other people to be empathetic it only hurts us in the end. Love and forgive. They don’t mean to be ignorant.

https://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/recovery/what-we-wish-family-and-friends-knew-about-benzo-withdrawal/

Pushing through (as many on BB suggest) is not always possible!  I have a mostly positive attitude, yet I know when I can push my body and when I can’t.  BWD has been a time for me to care for myself and not care what others think.

Sara

For me, it’s a balancing act. Staying home makes me miserably unhappy, but some days I have no choice. On the days where I can “push through”, it does me less harm than not to. That said, I am the standard, no one else. People have their opinions. Their opinions are none of my business

Your sister need not "should" all over you. You can tell her that.  8)

It's one thing to push through, but it's totally another thing to pull out all the stops when flattened with benzo w/d or/or tapering. Sure. Give it your best. If that's just a little or even nothing some days, that's okay.

When you're better, you can "push through" or not. The concept is just one of the stories we hear in modern society. Previous and other cultures value down time for recharging, and studies suggest balance means higher productivity and creativity in the long run.

Hang in there - LA