Anyone else had shingles?

[mo...]

Benzos are a bad gift that keeps on giving. Apparently my immune system is very compromised because I now have shingles. I’m so glad SeptGirl suggested it could be that, otherwise I would have never known. My question is that now I’m being prescribed an anti-viral. I am going to research if that could have any negative affects on my sensitive CNS. Has anyone else taken an anti-viral? Do you think it’s ok? I’m hesitant to take anything now. Any insight is appreciated. Luckily this was caught early I kind of feel I don’t have a choice but to take this since if not long term joint pain can occur without treatment.

I have no info on any contraindications after a benzo taper,  but I don’t think you have a choice in the matter but to take the antiviral.  Shingles are nothing to play around with and as you know, are very painful.  Taking them may very well reduce the severity and duration of it.  If it were me? I’d take them and hope for quick healing.

Sorry I guessed right but I just had a feeling because of pain you were describing.  Life sucks, and then it sucks some more.

I really hope you heal quickly and get back to living a healthy life again!!  :smitten:

Cindy

Benzos are a bad gift that keeps on giving. Apparently my immune system is very compromised because I now have shingles. I’m so glad SeptGirl suggested it could be that, otherwise I would have never known. My question is that now I’m being prescribed an anti-viral. I am going to research if that could have any negative affects on my sensitive CNS. Has anyone else taken an anti-viral? Do you think it’s ok? I’m hesitant to take anything now. Any insight is appreciated. Luckily this was caught early I kind of feel I don’t have a choice but to take this since if not long term joint pain can occur without treatment.

Yes I had them two years ago: onset was just as you describe. I did not take the anitvirals because I have an already compromised immune system: you may get quite sick and the pain can be quite noticeable but they do go away: I healed up quite nicely.

Yep. Two days ago. I had them before, so I can feel them when they're coming on in my neck. When I feel that particular twinge, I reach for the L-Lysine, and gack down a couple 600mg tabs. You have to catch it right when it first comes on, cause if you wait til the blisters form, you're screwed. The L-Lysine doesn't work so well if you don't start right away. I always keep some in my vitamin cabinet.

I was on 800 mg acyclovir per day for several years due to cancer. Chemotherapy really screws up your immune system, so they acyclovir was taken to prevent shingles. I didn't notice it affecting me in any way. I stopped taking it during my taper and I didn't notice any difference.

Thanks all. As an update, I went ahead and started on the Valacyclovir antiviral. The idea of forever nerve pain was not feasible for me. Sometimes drugs are necessary even though I’m tempted to shy away from most. I’m in some pain but manageable haven’t needed anything for pain  as of yet. Just resting.

I am almost 57. I have never had shingles. My mother had it in her early 60's and I can remember how painful it was for her and how miserable she was. I wonder if I should go ahead and get vaccinated for possible prevention reasons.

Thoughts anyone?

Mnt top,  I have had shingles 3 times in the last 20 years.  Mine hit the same area of my neck and scalp each time.  Last time, I got the anti-viral in time and they did not spread.  Don't know how that drug may interact with your sensitive system.  Through the B/W, I have had ghost nerve pain in the same area.  Always makes me think...oh no...here we go again!  So far, it's been neuralgia.  Just the nerve pain without the shingle.  Dr's often prescribe gabapentin for the nerve pain.  It helped me immensely but once again, you don't need side effects.  I used a topical ointment called 'Emuaid'.  It's pricey but I keep it on hand.  works for many other skin ailments.  Bless you.  Where is your rash?

Mnt top,  I have had shingles 3 times in the last 20 years.  Mine hit the same area of my neck and scalp each time.  Last time, I got the anti-viral in time and they did not spread.  Don't know how that drug may interact with your sensitive system.  Through the B/W, I have had ghost nerve pain in the same area.  Always makes me think...oh no...here we go again!  So far, it's been neuralgia.  Just the nerve pain without the shingle.  Dr's often prescribe gabapentin for the nerve pain.  It helped me immensely but once again, you don't need side effects.  I used a topical ointment called 'Emuaid'.  It's pricey but I keep it on hand.  works for many other skin ailments.  Bless you.  Where is your rash?

Dove I’m sorry to hear you’ve had it 3 times have you been vaccinated? I’ll check out the ointment. I have the rash under my armpit and my lymph node is swollen so pretty uncomfortable to wear a bra. Or to rest my arm at my side. Or pretty much move in general. Also on that side of my upper back. I’m taking ibuprofen for the pain. Overall feel achy and throat feels weird I hope I’m not getting a cold or flu too. Could also be the shingles causing the aches.

Antibenzo I'd research the vaccine but I would suggest it. I’m not 50 yet but they recommend you get it at 50. You can’t even get the vaccine until then so I’ll have to wait until then.

Pharmacist said I had to wait two years after last outbreak.  That would be this July.  I am not going to risk a vaccination until I am fully healed.  Maybe not even then.  Mnt Top, forget the bra or anything rubbing against skin.  Do everything ya can to get your mind off the pain.  Believe that the anti-viral will work quickly!  Visualize it killing the shingle virus.  Sending you prayers and strength.

Pharmacist said I had to wait two years after last outbreak.  That would be this July.  I am not going to risk a vaccination until I am fully healed.  Maybe not even then.  Mnt Top, forget the bra or anything rubbing against skin.  Do everything ya can to get your mind off the pain.  Believe that the anti-viral will work quickly!  Visualize it killing the shingle virus.  Sending you prayers and strength.

Thank you! Lol yes no bra unless I’m leaving the house. The pain is less than this morning.  not sure if it’s the rest, vitamins water or meds.  Probably all of it.

I had shingles 3 times last year. I’m almost finished with my taper, but if I taper the slightest bit quicker than my body thinks I should...they start. It’s insane. I’m scared to take the vaccine so I keep a prescription of valtrex at home. The minute...even if I suspect their starting, I take one. I have taken the valtrex with no trouble, but when I feel them coming on I take 1 or 2 valtrex for about 2 or 3 days and hold on my taper. That normally stops the outbreak or at least it is minor and I don’t have to take the full prescription. It’s just insane what benzos do to your body. I had had one shingles outbreak about 15 years ago while I was under a lot of stress. That was the only time in my life I’d had them until my taper. Now it’s like we’re old friends and they come over at their leisure. 🤨

I had shingles 3 times last year. I’m almost finished with my taper, but if I taper the slightest bit quicker than my body thinks I should...they start. It’s insane. I’m scared to take the vaccine so I keep a prescription of valtrex at home. The minute...even if I suspect their starting, I take one. I have taken the valtrex with no trouble, but when I feel them coming on I take 1 or 2 valtrex for about 2 or 3 days and hold on my taper. That normally stops the outbreak or at least it is minor and I don’t have to take the full prescription. It’s just insane what benzos do to your body. I had had one shingles outbreak about 15 years ago while I was under a lot of stress. That was the only time in my life I’d had them until my taper. Now it’s like we’re old friends and they come over at their leisure. 🤨

Oh no. May I ask how old you are? I hope I don’t become close friends with this affliction. Benzos are truly the worst.

I don’t mind...but if anyone ask...it’s 29. 😉 But between you and I...I’m actually 49. I have asthma some and take liquid steroids in nebulizer(depending on weather)  which can lower you immune system. So my bet is your safe. Just get plenty of rest...as you can. Avoid as much sugar as possible as that lowers your immune system also. As you go you’ll find what triggers w/d...well sometimes there is no rhyme or reason but you will become aware of some things that do. I have a 15 year old at home and an elderly aunt I help with. So I’m constantly running which doesn’t help keep my immune system up. I see you’ve completed your taper. Chances are your immune system and cns are just a little vulnerable right now. As time goes by your body should return completely to normal.

OK I’m I only a few years younger. I don’t eat any sugar but I am a super busy mom and drink a lot of decaf coffee which probably isn’t good for you even if not as bad as regular coffee. Otherwise I’m fairly healthy. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you’re right about everything going to normal.

This whole thing is so strange I thought my immune system was ok, I hadn’t even caught a cold this year which is unusual. How do I not catch a single cold but then this happens.