Could Gabapentin Help with Acute Symptoms During WD?

[Mo...]

So I have posted before about my issues and how things are getting worse, not better, I'm not stabilizing, the tremors are terrible, I can't think, dizzy, my brain feels like it's squeezed or feels like Im going to have a seizure sometimes, etc.  OR, I feel manic, have akathesia.  I have paresthesia.  Many other symptoms.

I tapered too quickly, held too long, made the mistake of breaking up my dosing and then changing my dosing.  I tried a miniscule cut for a few days, then went back after things get worse.  I know I've made too many changes but this is getting unbearable......I've tried stabilizing for 5 days and I'm NOT - it's getting worse!!  All of my hair is falling out now.

Go to the doctor next week.  Was thinking about asking for a little Valium, maybe a crossover.  Or does anyone know if Gabapentin would help ease some of the acute symptoms, so I can get on with a proper slow taper, and then taper the Gabapentin later? 

Hi Sweetie, Please just hang in there...I don't know how you're doing this if you have kids but you ARE...I stopped in Feb cold turkey (not my idea...unable to get thru my docs nurse to ask about what it seems was tolerance to K...it just stopped working) . I also have multiple symptoms, the worst is insomnia...just don't sleep several nights/wk then get 3-4 hours the other nights. I've taken multiple antidepressants over the years. Some times I don't see how I can live like this if it takes years to return to normal (whatever that may be). I also tried seroquel (didn't help) and now amitriptyline which may help a little bit. In a few years there'll probably be medical help for this but there doesn't seem to be any now. !!!!!!!!!!! Just know there are others in the same boat as you, that helps a little.

Jensie,

I'm not even off the meds yet and am having acute symptoms.  There's no way I can C/T - I know it can get worse.  I'm assuming it did for you?

So I have posted before about my issues and how things are getting worse, not better, I'm not stabilizing, the tremors are terrible, I can't think, dizzy, my brain feels like it's squeezed or feels like Im going to have a seizure sometimes, etc.  OR, I feel manic, have akathesia.  I have paresthesia.  Many other symptoms.

I tapered too quickly, held too long, made the mistake of breaking up my dosing and then changing my dosing.  I tried a miniscule cut for a few days, then went back after things get worse.  I know I've made too many changes but this is getting unbearable......I've tried stabilizing for 5 days and I'm NOT - it's getting worse!!  All of my hair is falling out now.

Go to the doctor next week.  Was thinking about asking for a little Valium, maybe a crossover.  Or does anyone know if Gabapentin would help ease some of the acute symptoms, so I can get on with a proper slow taper, and then taper the Gabapentin later?

I was prescribed Gabapentin but did not have much luck. I do know that is it successful for many people.

In lieu of Gabapentin I was prescribed Oxcarbazapine which helped immensely. It made me a strong supporter of supplemental/ adjunct medications to help with the taper. ( except Klonopin to Valium, I don't believe it is wise, even with all of the Ashton information)

I was not on Gabapentin long enough to feel any effects from discontinuing but I did taper my Oxcarbazapine over the course of only three weeks with almost zero side effects.

Not exactly what you are looking for but I hope it helps.

Gabapentin seems to help a lot of people, but for me, it was a nightmare. Acted more like a meth OD.

Do you really want to go on something else you'll have to wean off of? *shrug* But I'm not in your shoes. All you can do is try it. Everyone is different.

[a0...]
Gabapentin definitely helped me in a huge way with withdrawal.  The problem is, it's almost as hard to get off of as benzos (for most people).  I'm trying to slowly taper off of it, but it's very, very difficult.  My understanding is that the lower the dose you're on for the least length of time, the easier it is to get off of.

My two cents. I don’t think the WD from gabapentin is anywhere near as bad as benzos and I used to think it was, when my anxiety was bad. It really just depends on your mental state on how hard the taper can be. There is probably not much WD if you take it less than six months I’m thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents. I don’t think the WD from gabapentin is anywhere near as bad as benzos and I used to think it was, when my anxiety was bad. It really just depends on your mental state on how hard the taper can be. There is probably not much WD if you take it less than six months I’m thinking.

Mamoot, I see you were on Gabapentin for 8 months. I have just been prescribed gabapentin by my psych for terrible acute withdrawal from speeding my valium taper a bit too much. I wante to ask you, how did you taper it? My dr said it would be easy to come off of (like they always say), but many people here say it's hell. Can't be as bad as the benzo, right?

It helped me with pain.

However, having said that, I would never take t unless I absolutely had to. For me, it was he** to come off. I tapered down from 2300 mgs to 300 and the last 300 were the worst. I did it -- I tapered it gradually, but it has its own withdrawal syndrome that is similar to benzos.

While I was on it, I felt ill and dizzy. But I was happy for the pain relief. Oh, and it made me stupid. It is not nicknamed "morontin" for no reason.

So, if you have to take it, take it. For neuropathic pain -- it doesn't help all pain. But if you have a choice imo, don't.

Just my thoughts.

Katz

Bumping this thread. Started taking gabapentin last night (300 mgs), as after an acute withdrawal phase that has lasted two weeks, where I did rescue doses, had SI all the time, slept hardly anything, had to interrupt all my working activities, became a lousy mother, lived in extreme fear 24/7. I'm down to 1.4 valium and in my desperation during this acute phase (never went through that before until this point in my taper), I was already planning to updose again to 2.5!! That would've been a terrible setback. OK so yesterday I went to a different psych specialized in addictions. He said take gabapentin 300 to 600 at night and this will help with the withdrawals. He said DO NOT UPDOSE THE VALIUM EVER. And he said that the gabapentin would not be so hard to come off of (yes they always say that). OK so this drug gabapentin is not great, but I'm at a point where the acute wds were so bad I was planning to updose or even reinstate (yes I was going crazy). So between risking going through such an acute state that I rescue dose, consider updosing etc, or taking the gabapentin to ease the wds a bit to make the rest of my valium taper more tolerable, I'm hoping the gabapentin is a better option. Yes, I'm reading many people say the wds from gabapentin are as bad as the benzos, but that's hard for me to believe as you look for youtube videos on gabapentin wd and people are not going nuts like in benzo acute wd. If anyone wants to throw in their two cents please do... I'm guessing that those who found it useful for benzo wd and then tapered the gabapentin with no major problems are no longer in this group so it'll be difficult to read the positive experiences. Greek, I know you're looking for this same info.

If anyone wants to throw in their two cents please do...

Several of us have.

I've been on here a long time and have observed that more people have problems coming off gabapentin than don't. And many people have problems on it.

Did your psych tell you about possible (probable side effects) dizziness, tiredness, loss of coordination, headaches and *confusion*? For me, the worst s/x was dizziness.

But of course, everyone's different. Maybe you won't get any of the s/x. I hope not. Any maybe you'll be able to just drop it or taper with no problems.

Given that psychs can't tell us how exactly this drug is supposed to help our tapering (not that they know much about benzos at all), I wouldn't touch it. (I touched it for another reason, as I said).

I know you're in a world of hurt valiumnomore and I feel for you. I had a rotten, miserable taper also. Oh, I see that you've already started taking the gabapentin. Well, maybe it will work out for you.

Best to you,

Katz

If anyone wants to throw in their two cents please do...

Several of us have.

I've been on here a long time and have observed that more people have problems coming off gabapentin than don't. And many people have problems on it.

Did your psych tell you about possible (probable side effects) dizziness, tiredness, loss of coordination, headaches and *confusion*? For me, the worst s/x was dizziness.

But of course, everyone's different. Maybe you won't get any of the s/x. I hope not. Any maybe you'll be able to just drop it or taper with no problems.

Given that psychs can't tell us how exactly this drug is supposed to help our tapering (not that they know much about benzos at all), I wouldn't touch it. (I touched it for another reason, as I said).

I know you're in a world of hurt valiumnomore and I feel for you. I had a rotten, miserable taper also. Oh, I see that you've already started taking the gabapentin. Well, maybe it will work out for you.

Best to you,

Katz

Thank you Oregonkatz!

I took the gabapentin last night but after all the research here and after just visiting a different psych, I'm not taking it. I'll stay with the trazodone which I started taking a couple days ago and this guy says that'll help a little with withdrawal and surprisingly enough, he understood the fact that I want to taper at 0.10 a month! He was quite impressed when I told him about the scale. And he believed I've been suffering withdrawals and not "a bit anxious for something going on in my life" aaaarrrghhh  >:( So with his suggestion I'll just stay with the trazodone (I really need something for sleep and I don't see many people complaining about that one). And I'll skip the gabapentin for now, unless years go by and I absolutely can't come off my 1.40. Hope that doesn't happen but there's someone else here who updosed to 3 after going to terrible acute below 1 mg and happened to him/her twice. So it can be a thing.

I've read in your signature that you came off the gabapentin AFTER you valium taper. Were you on gabapentin during the taper? If so, maybe it did help you with the withdrawals after all?

I've read in your signature that you came off the gabapentin AFTER you valium taper. Were you on gabapentin during the taper? If so, maybe it did help you with the withdrawals after all?

That's a good question. I guess the answer is "Who knows?"

I don't think so, though. It definitely helped my neuropathic pain. But my w/d s/x were intense gi distress -- lost 40 pounds, couldn't eat -- benzo flu, headaches and dizziness. Now that I think about if some of my so-called taper s/x might have been gabapentin s/x. Hmm.

But I don't think the gaba helped my taper. I wish I had found something that did.

I hope trazodone helps you sleep. I used it for awhile and it was very helpful to me.

FWIW, I think the stress and general crappy feeling of tapering makes us as anxious as loons. Especially when we look ahead and see how long we're going to be at this. With little relief. Many times I despaired of ever making it through.

But you're at 1.4. The end is in sight! I know this sounds corny, valiumnomore, but hang in there. When I dropped my valium, I felt 75% better. When I dropped my gabapentin, I felt the other 25 % better.

This is a rotten, horrifying, sickening, maddening road we're on. But it has an end.

Again, my best to you.

Katz

That's a good question. I guess the answer is "Who knows?"

I don't think so, though. It definitely helped my neuropathic pain. But my w/d s/x were intense gi distress -- lost 40 pounds, couldn't eat -- benzo flu, headaches and dizziness. Now that I think about if some of my so-called taper s/x might have been gabapentin s/x. Hmm.

But I don't think the gaba helped my taper. I wish I had found something that did.

I hope trazodone helps you sleep. I used it for awhile and it was very helpful to me.

FWIW, I think the stress and general crappy feeling of tapering makes us as anxious as loons. Especially when we look ahead and see how long we're going to be at this. With little relief. Many times I despaired of ever making it through.

But you're at 1.4. The end is in sight! I know this sounds corny, valiumnomore, but hang in there. When I dropped my valium, I felt 75% better. When I dropped my gabapentin, I felt the other 25 % better.

This is a rotten, horrifying, sickening, maddening road we're on. But it has an end.

Again, my best to you.

Katz

Katz you know, maybe it did help you after all (the gabapentin), because I had many symptoms tapering but never in my life did I go into acute withdrawal, (and I see by your symptoms description that you haven't either), and these past two weeks after a cut I went into acute and I mean that's a totally different thing. It's death. So that's why I was considering the gabapentin, to avoid that again. I'm trying with the trazodone. If I ever go into acute again I'll probably try anything. But well, I'll try not to so as to avoid being polydrugged.

How did trazodone help you Katz? With sleep? Was it hard to come off of? How much did you take? Sorry, so many questions  :-[

Yeah, trazodone helped me for sleep. For awhile.  I got rotten insomnia as well as other gifts from benzos.

As I recall, I tried the lowest dose -- 50 mgs. Actually I halved the 50 mgs and started with 25. Then went up to 50.

But then it started not helping. And I didn't want to increase it. I absolutely had to get up in the morning and work and I didn't want to risk feeling groggy.  I had/have a 1 1/2 hour commute.

So I dumped the traz. And tried other things. Oy vey . . . lots of other things.

It's funny about "acute withdrawal". I guess I don't know what that is? Is it sitting in your recliner in your office with benzo flu so bad that you're certain that you'll die and praying not to? If that's it, then I had it. And didn't know it. The buddies I hung with during my taper had a mantra: "Just don't die".

Lordy, what awful memories.

While we're on the subject of sleep, fyi, my absolutely best sleeping aid was an indica marijuana tincture that I made myself. I have the "recipe" if you want it. You have to tinker with it to find the right dose that will let you slide into sleep and still be able to get up in the morning. But . . .

Happy 4th!

Katz

Yeah, trazodone helped me for sleep. For awhile.  I got rotten insomnia as well as other gifts from benzos.

As I recall, I tried the lowest dose -- 50 mgs. Actually I halved the 50 mgs and started with 25. Then went up to 50.

But then it started not helping. And I didn't want to increase it. I absolutely had to get up in the morning and work and I didn't want to risk feeling groggy.  I had/have a 1 1/2 hour commute.

So I dumped the traz. And tried other things. Oy vey . . . lots of other things.

It's funny about "acute withdrawal". I guess I don't know what that is? Is it sitting in your recliner in your office with benzo flu so bad that you're certain that you'll die and praying not to? If that's it, then I had it. And didn't know it. The buddies I hung with during my taper had a mantra: "Just don't die".

Lordy, what awful memories.

While we're on the subject of sleep, fyi, my absolutely best sleeping aid was an indica marijuana tincture that I made myself. I have the "recipe" if you want it. You have to tinker with it to find the right dose that will let you slide into sleep and still be able to get up in the morning. But . . .

Happy 4th!

Katz

Thank you Katz. What I call acute is when I'm in terror 24/7, which goes away when the wave goes away. It had gone away but I fear it's visiting again now, due to all the stupid rescue doses I've taken this past month. Six in total and very high ones. I think I'm screwed now. Thanks for the trazodone info. It stopped working huh?. Did you sleep like just one or two hours and still work? That's the sleep I'm getting. I don't know if people still work like this.

No supplier for marihuana in my life. There is one but she brings what she can, and it's lately not indica so it's been put away.

Did you sleep like just one or two hours and still work?

Yeah. It was crappy.

You know, the traz might help with your anxiety/panic as well. You never know.

And I'm biting my tongue as I say this but sometimes gabapentin is prescribed off-label for anxiety/panic. It kinda makes sense. If it makes you feel, as it made me, "turned down" and not quite there, well, maybe, just maybe it would help you.( Aaargh. But what about the discontinuation profile??? I'm arguing with myself). AND as I recall, it helped me sleep. Listen, if you are abut ready to toss in the towel out of fear and panic, well . . . just maybe.

So maybe check this out? Google gabapentin and anxiety.

Another thought. There's a drug I took during my taper for anxiety/panic . . . I had a very creative NP drug prescriber who really wanted to help me out. It's an old drug. Vistaril/hydroxyzine. Worked well. As long as you take it PRN. After my taper and those loony thoughts left, I didn't need to take it again.

So, a few more ideas. If it were me, I'd take the Vistaril and not the gaba if you continue to feel squirrelly .

Katz

Did you sleep like just one or two hours and still work?

Yeah. It was crappy.

You know, the traz might help with your anxiety/panic as well. You never know.

And I'm biting my tongue as I say this but sometimes gabapentin is prescribed off-label for anxiety/panic. It kinda makes sense. If it makes you feel, as it made me, "turned down" and not quite there, well, maybe, just maybe it would help you.( Aaargh. But what about the discontinuation profile??? I'm arguing with myself). AND as I recall, it helped me sleep. Listen, if you are abut ready to toss in the towel out of fear and panic, well . . . just maybe.

So maybe check this out? Google gabapentin and anxiety.

Another thought. There's a drug I took during my taper for anxiety/panic . . . I had a very creative NP drug prescriber who really wanted to help me out. It's an old drug. Vistaril/hydroxyzine. Worked well. As long as you take it PRN. After my taper and those loony thoughts left, I didn't need to take it again.

So, a few more ideas. If it were me, I'd take the Vistaril and not the gaba if you continue to feel squirrelly .

Katz

Oregonkatz thank you. I'm really having a hard time. I updosed to 2.5 because looking at all my rescue doses over the past month, they were huge and making an average I'd be at 2.5. I'm again in severe withdrawal. As if I'd CTd. I've been like this for nearly a month in spite of updosing and rescue doses in 6 desperate nights. I really can't do this anymore. If I had a husband or someone living with me to encourage me maybe.... but I can't. The hydroxyzine I do take. It does nothing to me. This is a constant adrenaline rush. Sleep is non existent. My options are wait to see if the updose to 2.5 works, or take the gabapentin. The trazodone does nothing. To know if the updose to 2.5 works I'll have to wait who knows how long. the 1.4 updose didn't work and I was three weeks waiting for that. Maybe the guy is right and I should take the gabapentin.

VNM, you do seem to be in a bad way.

One of the things the gabapentin will do is make you sleepy. Maybe the unknown s/x are worth getting a little sleep and feeling less anxious and panicked. Did you Google gaba + anxiety? It does work for some people. Please read about it.

But the dirty rotten truth is that you develop a tolerance to it, like everything.

What's the dose you are to start at? 300 mgs, I think? If it were me, I'd take it, but be very sure I just took it at night. If you need to take more, then I guess I would take more.

What did you feel when you did take it? (Once, I think?) It should have hit you like a ton of bricks.

It's a question of what's going to be less harmful -- taking the gaba, or continually being tempted to updsose, which will not help anything.

I have to go, VNM, but please keep me posted?

There is no magic bullet to make our tapering hell go away, but this may help you. Just be very sure that you realize tapering off it might well be hard.

Thinking of you,

Katz

VNM, you do seem to be in a bad way.

One of the things the gabapentin will do is make you sleepy. Maybe the unknown s/x are worth getting a little sleep and feeling less anxious and panicked. Did you Google gaba + anxiety? It does work for some people. Please read about it.

But the dirty rotten truth is that you develop a tolerance to it, like everything.

What's the dose you are to start at? 300 mgs, I think? If it were me, I'd take it, but be very sure I just took it at night. If you need to take more, then I guess I would take more.

What did you feel when you did take it? (Once, I think?) It should have hit you like a ton of bricks.

It's a question of what's going to be less harmful -- taking the gaba, or continually being tempted to updsose, which will not help anything.

I have to go, VNM, but please keep me posted?

There is no magic bullet to make our tapering hell go away, but this may help you. Just be very sure that you realize tapering off it might well be hard.

Thinking of you,

Katz

Thank you Katz I so much appreciate your support. Yes, you said it well. If I keep like this, I'll be updosing to the moon, and STILL it doesn't work!! Why?? So anyway let's see if the gabapentin works. Last night I took it and slept like a log but maybe it was because I was having a window?? Who knows. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your concern. Yes, they do prescribe it for anxiety. Take care