Will my brain heal?

[Mo...]

So I went to the psychiatrist yesterday.  One good thing is that he does believe me about the drugs and the withdrawal.  The bad thing is he told me it is like my brain has been struck by lightning and will probably never be the same.  I had a cold turkey off two drugs, Cymbalta and Valium in the last year.  I was put on risperdal in the mental hospital and am trying to get off it now but having an extremely difficult time.  I guess I’m just looking for reassurance that o can heal from this.  Are there any other hard cases out there that healed?  I feel like I’m barely hanging on.

Thanks badben, I need to hear that.  I’ve been so worried because it’s been six months since i got off Valium and I have had no windows.  That may be because I’m polydrugged.  I just want my brain back.

You will heal Buddy! Hang in there! Our brains are amazing, intricate, complicated organisms but the brain is capable of amazing things. Don’t believe that silly doctor, OF COURSE you can heal! Read all of the amazing success stories on here as a testament to the many who have healed, even those who have been poly drugged. I’m a true believe in the power of a positive mind, if we believe we will heal we will heal. Each of us is on our own journey and recovery looks different for everyone I believe however I am sure we can all heal. I 100% believe that with all of my being. Sending you good vibes and well wishes.

“Sometimes it takes an overwhelming breakdown to have an undeniable breakthrough.”  :smitten:

You will heal Buddy! Hang in there! Our brains are amazing, intricate, complicated organisms but the brain is capable of amazing things. Don’t believe that silly doctor, OF COURSE you can heal! Read all of the amazing success stories on here as a testament to the many who have healed, even those who have been poly drugged. I’m a true believe in the power of a positive mind, if we believe we will heal we will heal. Each of us is on our own journey and recovery looks different for everyone I believe however I am sure we can all heal. I 100% believe that with all of my being. Sending you good vibes and well wishes.

“Sometimes it takes an overwhelming breakdown to have an undeniable breakthrough.”  :smitten:

YES YES YES! ditto this. I made it this far, and healing does happen, it has happened for me so far. The journey just isnt finished. focus on the improvements, not the sickness still there. Hang in there bud

I'm not a doctor but I feel you can heal. My heart breaks for you having been told this and going through this.  Your psychiatrist sounds like a real creep to say something like that to you. I've experienced some too. You should get a new doctor for sure. My current psychiatrist says the brain will heal from benzos it just takes time to repair. She also said that having taken other psych drugs and still being on some while healing from benzos will not effect the brain healing in the end.  I've been through the ringer with psych drugs myself and its a nightmare. This is the last time I'm getting poly drugged for sure and I'm not touching benzos ever again. There is one medication I believe I need and I will stay on that. Its horrible how if you're suffering mentally they just throw all these drugs at you which mess you up more. The doctors who prescribe this stuff and say obnoxious things to patients are the worst. Hang in there. You will be ok. I find these boards very supportive. I agree with others check out some of the success stories.

Thank you all for your replies.I am in such a mess with this risperdal.  It is an anti psychotic and I’m sure it is effecting my healing.  But the withdrawals are getting unbearable, even going slow.  I had a genetic test that showed I am a slow metabolizer for this med so it is not a good drug for me.  I just don’t know what to do since this taper is not going well.  Should I reinstate for now and hope the Valium withdrawal improves and I can taper later?  I think the problem is my gaba receptors haven’t healed so the excess anxiety from the risperdal taper is really sending me over the edge.  I have all mental symptoms, not many physical.