MIGHT HAVE STREP-CAN I TAKE AMOXICILLIN???

[Wa...]

I think I might have strep throat and if I do, I know they'll want to give me a prescription. Can I take any form of penicillin or will it make me sick?  Thank you :)

Penicillin and amoxicillin are good choices.  There's no guarantee you won't get sick but less of a chance with these particular antibiotics.

I used Z pack early in withdrawal and it didn’t appear to make anything worse. Take a good probiotic or have some kefir to avoid stomach upset.

Make sure they take a throat swab and culture it. You might just have a really awful sore throat and not Strep.

What I did was get the doc to swab and culture, then let me know (48 hours). She wrote a prescription for amoxicillin and I did get it filled, but I waited to take it until I got the results of the Strep culture. It was positive, so I took the amoxy.

I'd taken amoxy before my taper with no problems so I did not anticipate any on my taper. I had no problems. I understand some ppl do have problems with antibiotics, but getting rid of the godawful pain of strep vs having an antibiotic rev my s/x was a gamble I was willing to take.

Hope things turn out for you.

Katz

[14...]
Sorry to tell you this but amoxicillin is not safe, it's a penicillin and penicillins act on gaba receptors in the same way as a benzo and can result in a nasty setback because essentially you are reinjuring your receptors. I took it and was ok whilst taking it but when i finished them i went back into acute for 6 weeks, like a CT, took 5 months to come out of it. Keflex has the weakest effect on gaba receptors as does clindamycin. But then again some people have no problems but there are lots of people on here that have had awful setbacks. All ABs are neurotoxic to a compromised cns so perhaps make sure you really need one based on sound clinical evidence.

Sorry to tell you this but amoxicillin is not safe, it's a penicillin and penicillins act on gaba receptors in the same way as a benzo and can result in a nasty setback because essentially you are reinjuring your receptors. I took it and was ok whilst taking it but when i finished them i went back into acute for 6 weeks, like a CT, took 5 months to come out of it. Keflex has the weakest effect on gaba receptors as does clindamycin. But then again some people have no problems but there are lots of people on here that have had awful setbacks. All ABs are neurotoxic to a compromised cns so perhaps make sure you really need one based on sound clinical evidence.

Shoot. Okay, good to know. I'm trying to avoid it at all costs but I have white spots on my throat and it really hurts. No fever or anything so I don't know what the likelihood is that it will resolve on it's own....

Shoot. Okay, good to know. I'm trying to avoid it at all costs but I have white spots on my throat and it really hurts. No fever or anything so I don't know what the likelihood is that it will resolve on it's own....

Have it swabbed and cultured. White spots . . . pain . . . hard to swallow . . . I'm betting it's Strep.

As for ABs such as penicillin causing a taper setback, well, maybe. It is a gaba receptor agonist -- that's indisputable. But everyone's different. Your CNS might be okay. And might not be. Mine didn't flinch from the AB. Go figure. Strep can go away on its own fyi . . . but I sure didn't want to wait it out. It's too damned painful. So . . . it's up to you. If you test positive, you'll have a choice to make. And amoxy is the gold standard drug for Strep.

Hope you feel better whatever you decide.

Katz

Day 4 of strep and don't know how much longer I can stand it. I read that it goes away on it's own in 3-7 days but mine is no better. I'm terrified of taking anything that will set me back.  :-\

I took a Z-pack a couple of months back for the same — I am nine months jumped yesterday — and literally had ZERO problems. None. Nada. Zilch. And I am UBER UBER PARANOID OF TAKING EVEN A TUMS. LOL. But, I did just fine and I am sure you will, too. Good luck and keep us posted, Sugar!

Neely

xoxo

I took a Z-pack a couple of months back for the same — I am nine months jumped yesterday — and literally had ZERO problems. None. Nada. Zilch. And I am UBER UBER PARANOID OF TAKING EVEN A TUMS. LOL. But, I did just fine and I am sure you will, too. Good luck and keep us posted, Sugar!

Neely

xoxo

Thank you, friend. I decided to wait it out and it got a little better today. I think it's going away. I told myself if it wasn't better by tomorrow I would go in, but it looks to be on its way out. Still feels like swallowing glass but not as bad. Thank you so much for your support!

I had a full blown floxed reaction to amoxicillin in month 20 of my recovery... that was 10 months ago now and still doing poorly. My gabas somehow got absolutely smashed by it. Just wanted to say raw garlic is a potent broad spectrum antibiotic without harm. It is also an anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-parasitic as well. I’ve used it for a post wisdom tooth surgery oral infection and it worked. I was skeptical, but the studies are there and people do use it. I wish this knowledge was more mainstream.

I should also mention I was okay taking 3 weeks of amoxicillin early on in my recovery without ill effects (like month 2)  but month 20– 1 dose threw me into absolute hell. Unbelievable isn’t it?

Neely

xoxo

Thank you, friend. I decided to wait it out and it got a little better today. I think it's going away. I told myself if it wasn't better by tomorrow I would go in, but it looks to be on its way out. Still feels like swallowing glass but not as bad. Thank you so much for your support!

Are you better now from strep?

Did you get it tested to see if it was strep?  I know it can go away on it's own, but that also carries risks. 

I have had strep throat once and I tried a "home remedy" which actually killed it in it's tracks!

I'll share the story.

The remedy was super simple. Take 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper and mix it with 1/2 a glass of water. Then use that to gargle for 20 seconds.

Done.

You want to do it over a sink because your face is going to feel like it's melting, not a pleasant experience. My nose ran, eyes watered and I drooled. (sorry for the imagery but it's true.)

After that the strep was gone.

I didn't do this while in WD though so I have no idea how it will affect things there. It was really harsh, but I have taken antibiotics while in WD and that was terrible as well and 2 weeks of terrible. Given the choice I'd rather do the cayenne over the antibiotics.

Thank you so much, everyone. I appreciate the advice and natural remedies suggested. I looked some of them up on YouTube and they also suggested the cayenne pepper and garlic as well as lemon and honey.  I was about to start trying those when the white spots began to fade. All in all it took about 1.5 weeks to resolve. I'm very glad for the advice I got on here and that I didn't go the antibiotic route. Thanks again for all of your help  :smitten:

Hi, this is helpful to me and explains why I’m horrific after antibiotics (amoxicillin). Does it just cause a setback and it’s not putting you back to beginning? I never knew all this, but heard others being affected. Never knew if it was coincidence, with this healing being so crazy, but they’ve taken me down, it seems. It’s crazy. I only came here to find some answers. I’m praying for this to pass.

I’m thankful to find this.

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is old, but the subject isn't. Thank you for the information on penicillin. I probably read about penicillin somewhere on BB already...maybe not. Nevertheless, this is good to know.

I've taken Keflex only, as far as I can remember....during this benzo ordeal. I did ok with it...some lingering pain after the treatment(4 months?) in the lower, right side of my abdomen. It went away fortunately. It was for a UTI that I suspect occurred from sitting too much over the course of a three day convention. Also, was not drinking enough water at the convention. If my memory serves me right, the UTI occurred within a few weeks of that event. I had to go to the ER...after midnight...no fun.

That happened in May 2018. This years three day convention I was sure to drink more water. I still sat too much though. No doubt, given it's been one more year out in benzo recovery, I'm further along in the healing process. I sure hope so. It does seem like I'm doing better...but it's true what many say who are protracted, healing can be very imperceptible....slowww. :)