Six years...yep

[be...]

Yes I have been tapering close to six years. This is due to the insane amount of 10 mg of clonazepam I was prescribed. Like most of you, I was fooled or not informed that they were addictive. I had my ups and downs, but overall it was a pretty easy taper. I exchanged that blasted fatigue with insomnia. Lots of nighttime wake ups have been my life once I reached 10 mg of Valium. It’s thrilling to get rid of this fatigue. I have no idea what’s in store for me post taper, but I’ll let nature take its course. I’m celebrating what I consider my most prideful experience of my life by selling my condo and buying a house in the country. All I’ll see is soy beans growing and roosters crowing. This can be done! If I can get off, than anyone can.

A bit of personal advice you may take or leave: please say, yes you can do this and the word, no, should not be in your vocabulary. Take good advice and throw bad advice in the trash. Remember people are sick here so don’t take negativity personally. There are also good and bad people everywhere: stick with the winners and those who give you support. If you think you wrote a snarky reply, put it on hold and don’t click send. Reread it several days later. Odds are you’ll delete it. The mind is a very powerful thing. Use it to your advantage. Sleep can be elusive like with me at times. My pdoc once said sleep is just as important as time. I agree.

Good luck warriors, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BG

So glad you're well on your way to healing.........

I live semi-rural in Virginia........Hope you continue to heal...

Alan

Congratulations!  As someone who started from a high dose of ativan with a long way to go, your story gives me hope!  Wishing you health and ease in your new life.  Good work and thanks for the success story.  We need it!  Luey

Congratulations!  As someone who started from a high dose of ativan with a long way to go, your story gives me hope!  Wishing you health and ease in your new life.  Good work and thanks for the success story.  We need it!  Luey

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

What an amazing achievement!  You should be so proud of your commitment. Slow and steady wins the race indeed! Wishing you continued healing and progress! Thank you for the wise advice as well.

:clap:

Benzogirl. Congrats again. How are you feeling now that you’ve jumped?

I feel much better than I thought. I have some nagging insomnia or I should say I used to. My trazodone kept me awake so I did a rapid withdrawal off it. It’s much better now. Sore and tight muscles, strange dreams and cognitive impairment seems to be my problems. I trust they will go away but new things can pop up every day. It’s a great thing emotionally to manage to get off 200 mg of Valium. I was functional for most of it. Gawd how these doctors prescribe me such a large dose is shameful. At this point I’m too nervous to take a Tylenol. Thanks for asking. :smitten:

Benzogirl. Congrats again. How are you feeling now that you’ve jumped?

I feel much better than I thought. I have some nagging insomnia or I should say I used to. My trazodone kept me awake so I did a rapid withdrawal off it. It’s much better now. Sore and tight muscles, strange dreams and cognitive impairment seems to be my problems. I trust they will go away but new things can pop up every day. It’s a great thing emotionally to manage to get off 200 mg of Valium. I was functional for most of it. Gawd how these doctors prescribe me such a large dose is shameful. At this point I’m too nervous to take a Tylenol. Thanks for asking. :smitten:

Sounds like you were doing pretty well. So glad to hear it !  It’s only going to get better from here  :)

Thanks and you too. Two years off! That’s an accomplishment for sure. :smitten:

Thank you! For certain, it is an accomplishment reach this 2-mile mark, but I wish I had gone slower on my taper as you did. I went off pretty fast (a few months)and I feel as if it acted like a cold turkey on my body. I am still suffering pretty badly with cognitive psychological stuff. I commend you for learning about the Ashton method prior to tapering so you could get your body adjusted in stages before getting off. I really hope this pays off for you! What an asset your experience will be to helping others!

Wishing you continued health and healing.

:thumbsup:

I feel sorry for you. I can thank my wonderful pdoc for my slow taper. It seemed insurmountable at 200 mg so someone here told me to throw away my calendar so I did. I’m sure or at least hope you will turn the corner soon. There is a sticky thread called four phases of withdrawal so you might want to check it out. It in orange I’m guessing in protracted or post withdrawal. You are not alone and remember a lot of bad symptoms can hit me at any time. I’m just enjoying it while I can. Remember you are off this poison so that’s what really counts. :smitten:

Thanks very much.

I’m sorry at 20 months you’re still suffering it just stinks. I do hope you have good days in between bad ones. Then soon you’ll have more good days and fewer bad ones. I’m personally waiting for the ball to drop. I still say benzos should be outlawed. Or at least prescribers forced to take them first. I bet we’d see a change..... :smitten: