Clonazepam 1.5 mg 2x a day

[Nu...]

Hello. I have been on clonazepam and sertraline for over 2 years for complex PTSD, anxiety and depression. I thought I was fine and doing well until I hit my head and was concussed in Feb. I keep telling my dr that brain fog memory problems, anguish, and insomnia are worse when I take my regular meds. I was told its post concussion syndrome but I  feel fine until I take my medicine. I didn't question what clonazepam was as I was suffering deeply. The psychiatrist put me on both and said I would have to be on them the rest of my life. I know I'm right that it's worse when I  take my dose. Hopefully its low enough that tapering will be gentle. I look forward to reading and having feedback before I start to taper. Thank you

Hello Nunya76,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! I'm sorry about your head injury.  Concussions can bring on some strong symptoms that can last for a while. However, since you feel worse after taking clonazepam it would appear that you have become intolerant to the medication. Either that or the dose is not effective anymore, this is called tolerance and is a common problem with benzos.

While 1.5mg seems like a small amount, clonazepam is a very strong benzo.  .5mg of clonazepam is equal to 10mg of valium, so you can see you are taking a fairly significant dose at 1.5 twice a day. Because of this a slow taper would be necessary to help to minimize withdrawal symptoms.  I would suggest you stay under the care of your doctor as well, due to your head injury.  Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

You've come to the right place for information and support, we understand the process and will support and encourage you.  Do a lot of reading, knowing more will help you find a plan that works best for you. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans   

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

@[ p...]

Thank you for your kind and honest feedback. I am in regular contact with my dr and will not do anything stupid like quitv everything at once. I was disappointed as I told my dr i was telling worse and I was told to maintain my doses and was perscribed Aventyl on top of 200mg sertraline, 1.5 mg 2x a day clonazapam.....another anti depressant. There must be another way. I trust my dr. Support for over 20 years. She said I don't do well unmedicated and it is for the rest of my life. Its hard even on meds....I'm numb. I will continue with concussion rehab and talk to her again about tapering. I just dont know what to do when I'm told no. Thank you 💗

@ pianogirl

Thank you for your kind and honest feedback. I am in regular contact with my dr and will not do anything stupid like quitv everything at once. I was disappointed as I told my dr i was telling worse and I was told to maintain my doses and was perscribed Aventyl on top of 200mg sertraline, 1.5 mg 2x a day clonazapam.....another anti depressant. There must be another way. I trust my dr. Support for over 20 years. She said I don't do well unmedicated and it is for the rest of my life. Its hard even on meds....I'm numb. I will continue with concussion rehab and talk to her again about tapering. I just dont know what to do when I'm told no. Thank you 💗

Hello again,

Of course everyone has to do what is right for themselves and we are not anti medication here on the forum.  I did ask one of my doctors if he thought I needed medications like benzos, he said yes. He was clearly wrong.  Doctors have a tendency to add more and more drugs to the mix.  Sometimes people find themselves severely poly drugged.

Have you tried CBT, meditation or breathing techniques to help with the panic and anxiety?

We're here for you no matter what you decide to do.

PG  :smitten: