Pristiq??

[on...]

Has anyone used pristiq post benzo? I was recently perscribed it to deal with my depression and have tried other ssri's and snri's in the past. Although, I have never taken and A/D while not on xanax. My doctor said that they would have never worked effectively while on a benzo. I am almost 5 months benzo free and am having a awful time with depression, the worst in my history by far and terrible anxiety. I have taken it for two days(today being the second) and I feel over stimulated with almost a rage like feeling. Please tell me your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you

Pristiq = Effexor pretty much. Its the patented metabolite of Effexor and has basically the exact same side effects but with a higher cost.

I would not recommend that particular med while in benzo withdrawal because of its stimulating side effects and also because it is one the highest side effect anti-depressants out there.

Honestly, as nasty as the side effects can be, a tricyclic like amitryptiline in a low dose before bed at night may be better because of the strong sedating effect it has.

onmyway,

So sorry to hear you are suffering with this. I know depression can be extremely debilitating. I hope you can find something or some means of coping with it and continuing your healing from benzos. Congratulations on being benzo-free.

Great explanation,  EtherealRemnant. I've read the exact same things about Pristiq. It was the very last A/D I was ever prescribed (after I couldn't tolerate Effexor) and a long list of others. But I never filled the Rx after reading about this drug. The doctors seem to like pushing it (hmmm) but the "user reviews" didn't look very positive -- as Ethereal said, many reports of a lot of side effects.

I wish I could recommend something a magic bullet, but I get so many side effects from A/Ds that I have sworn off of them for good... so, personally, I'm just trying to just go with more exercise, trying to treat my anxiety, trying to take better care of self, eating well, vitamins and supplements, and trying to get a lot of sunlight. 

Albie

Thank you for the replies. Ether, if there was one A/D that you would recommend in the ssri group, which would it be? I can feel the stimulative effect of the pristiq already and I can't stand it, however the depression is to a point where I need to do something.

onmyway,

I don't recommend ANY SSRI drugs because of the damage that they cause to the serotonin receptors. The last thing you need in benzo withdrawal is to throw off another essential neurotransmitter in the brain.

Just curious, have you tried 5-HTP? It is not prescription but in studies, it is as effective (and sometimes more effective) as the SSRIs but it causes a natural lift in serotonin, not a forced one. IE., your body turns it into serotonin rather than your serotonin levels being lifted by the brain being forced to not break it down. It has a low side effect profile (most common is an upset stomach) and it is much safer than an SSRI. It used to work wonders for me before I started doing drugs that used serotonin. As a matter of fact, it kicks in almost immediately at a 100mg dose. The best part about it is that if it does cause a reaction (since we all tend to be really sensitive to everything under the sun when on benzos and worse in w/d), unlike normal SSRIs where it can take awhile to recover, you will recover after about 4 hours.

I never recommend SSRIs to anybody under any circumstances. They are all toxic drugs and they all have a discontinuation syndrome of their own which in and over itself can make a benzo withdrawal go intro protracted withdrawal. I have personally taken Celexa, Lexapro, and Paxil in the SSRI family. Lexapro felt like speed. Paxil, the second day on it my blood pressure went so high I stood up too fast, got dizzy, saw black spots in my vision, and collapsed to the floor. Celexa made me crave alcohol like nothing else - and I consumed alcohol like nothing else and couldn't stop - I gained 40 pounds in 3 1/2 months or so, and finally after breaking down three times on it, I was hospitalized where they took me off of it c/t and put me on a number of antipsychotics and I went into SSRI discontinuation syndrome 9 days later, including brain zaps, paralyzing electric current going through my body, panic attacks, increased agoraphobia, loss of appetite, etc. It really did make everything much worse.

For some, these drugs are extremely helpful - once you get on the right one - but I would rather give a natural serotonin booster a chance first. Also, before doing anything that affects serotonin, see if you can find a doctor that will run a battery of tests on your neurotransmitter levels. You may not even be deficient in serotonin in the first place.

Thanks Ethereal,

In fact, I have a bottle of 5-HTP sitting on my desk. I purchased it a day prior to seeing the doctor. It was recommended by a Buddy on here. I am so leery of taking another SSRI as I have tried them before unsuccessfully. I did experience withdrawal and had many of the common symptoms. At this point my depression is barely manageable and I'm desperate to feel OK. After talking with the doctor, who I truly believe has my best interest in mind, I become openminded to A/Ds. Then I start thinking about it and recall my experience with them and I get totally discouraged. I just don't know what to do and I feel I have to do something. My guess is you know how frustrating this process is! I may discontinue after two days before I go any further and try the 5-HTP.

May I suggest to you, take your time tapering! I tapered way too quickly and my W/Ds have not been good. I would have followed Ashtons schedule much more closely. My mistake was that I wanted off so badly that I tortured myself to get off by going to quickly and now I am being tortured for having done so.

Thank you for getting back to me and please stay in touch.

John

John,

I'm definitely going to take my taper slowly... I haven't been able to cut yet. My doc put me on Wellbutrin and I don't want to mess with my Klonopin until I'm stable on the Wellbutrin... So far, the paradoxical effect of benzos has worked in my favor with Wellbutrin and I haven't gotten the crazy stimulation though I HAVE had appetite suppression and lost weight.

I'm smoking less when its "working" though and ultimately, not smoking will help me w/d faster since every time I have quit smoking, I stopped having panic attacks. The weight loss is a concern though. I've dropped 6 pounds as of yesterday - down to 138 pounds now and I'm 6'2... Not good.

As for the 5-HTP - honestly, it works miracles... just make sure you have been off the Pristiq for a few days before you start taking it.

Robert

Hi there,

So sorry to hear your depressed now, it comes to me in waves and it's almost unbearable. I just cry it out and then it leaves. 

I can't advocate the use of an AD during this time...it's just too risky IMO. I feel that we heal best without using any more drugs and even some supplements need to be added very carefully and slowly if you feel you want to try them.

I would advise you to be very very cautious using the 5-HTP...I have read some severe reactions here on this board, and I don't know what members of other boards may have experienced. I'm not sure how it works, but evidently it messes with chemicals in the brain and that could spell disaster if you have a reaction to it.

Have you tried getting more sunlight? This has helped me...sometimes I feel a bit worse initially (may be because I'm very fair complected)  but after a while I do feel marvelous in the long run. :thumbsup:

take care

cupcake

Hi onmyway.  I'm so sorry you are suffering from depression.  I had it really bad last fall and tossed around the idea of pristiq, but as Albie said, the "user reviews" were not good at all, so I decided not to take it.  I can't take AD's or even 5-HTP because it revs up my withdrawal symptoms. The depression finally started to lift for me in January, although I do have some days of depression or apathy. I hope you find relief soon. :)

The best way to find out if 5-HTP is a good idea or not is to have your doctor run a blood serum serotonin check. If your serotonin is low, you will most likely benefit from 5-HTP as it is directly converted to serotonin, unlike regular tryptophan, which is converted into a number of neurotransmitters. If your serotonin levels are fine though, it can exacerbate symptoms while you take it - luckily it doesn't last terribly long. Most people have to take it 3 times a day.