Klonopin

[sw...]

I am 66 years old and have been on Klonopin 1 mg for 12 years. I started tapering in February and am down to .5 mg per day. Biggest problem is overpowering fatigue and lethargy. So I am pausing for now to try to feel better.

Hello sweetviolet,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Whoa, that is a pretty fast taper, I'm not surprised that the cuts are catching up to you.  I think it's a good idea to hold. That will give you a chance to read some of the valuable information here on the forum so the rest of your taper can be more gentle.  There are many of us at a certain 'age'.  I'm 68 and getting off benzos was the best thing I've done for my health and wellbeing.

Generally, a slow taper can help to minimize withdrawal symptoms.  A reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

I'm glad you've joined the forum. You'll get a lot of support and encouragement as you complete your taper and recover. Remember benzo withdrawal is not a race, slow and steady is the way to go. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans   

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

I thought that was a slow taper, but in reading through the forums, I realize that was too fast a taper. Forgot to mention I am also tapering from Zopiclone low .375 nightly dose. Time to stabilize a bit