why antibiotics cause setbacks

[go...]

why do some people fall to withdrawal even after years of recovering from benzo withdrawal??normal people usually don't get so much problems to antibiotics

This is also a fear of mine, but I am learning that doesn’t happen to everyone. I know someone in this who took an antibiotic without issue while in withdrawal and someone fully healed who use to be on here, 3 years out who needed 3 different antibiotics and no setback at all!

[b2...]
Most ABs are neurotoxic to a compromised cns as in bwd, many of them, especially penicillin, act on gaba receptors in the same way as a benzo so taking them in bwd means that you are reinjuring those receptors for some people. But like Hopeful comments some people have no issues. I am terrified of needing an AB as i was slammed back into acute for almost 2 months when i was 10 months off. My neurologist told me i shouldn't take another for 5 years if possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully someday this phenomenon will be studied by science. Until then we don’t know who will react badly to what and when. For example, I took an antibiotic for 3 weeks in month 2 of my recovery and had no ill effects. (Never had issues with any antibiotics in my life) Then took the same antibiotic in month 20 and just one dose blew my system worse than anything before. Full on severe floxed/ct Benzo WD reaction. What changed?

Hopefully someday this phenomenon will be studied by science. Until then we don’t know who will react badly to what and when. For example, I took an antibiotic for 3 weeks in month 2 of my recovery and had no ill effects. (Never had issues with any antibiotics in my life) Then took the same antibiotic in month 20 and just one dose blew my system worse than anything before. Full on severe floxed/ct Benzo WD reaction. What changed?

How are you doing now from your setback?

How are you doing now from your setback?

Still doing poorly. My floxing recovery is following the same pattern and timeframe of recovery as my original recovery did but with different symptoms. If it does keep following then I have another year before I get back to where I was. But I hold on to hope that between months 12-16 I’ll hit huge progress like lots of Benzo and floxed people do. Total hell and completely reinjured me and started everything over from the beginning. I’m in month 10 and seem to hit a worse wave every 4 months (this happened throughout my original recovery as well) I’m in that worse wave this month, so maybe my progress is a little skewed right now.

I actually heard penicillin was gentler than some others...?

I was set bak when I had to take zithromycin-- which everyone said would be fine.  It was not.

Who knows...

I actually heard penicillin was gentler than some others...?

I was set bak when I had to take zithromycin-- which everyone said would be fine.  It was not.

Who knows...

That’s interesting. I’ve heard pretty much any antibiotic can screw with the cns in certain individuals— even individuals that haven’t been through withdrawal. So I guess I’m not surprised, but I’m sorry that happened to you. I’ve read others having the same issue with the ‘z-pak’ on here too. What kind of symptoms did you get— & about how long did that last for you?

Hi I was totally revved up on it... vibrations were worse (I have them all the time but worse), insomnia worse, I was terribly cold...

I wonder if some of us get a toxin overload from meds because our methylation is compromised and our bodies can’t detox well unlike some other people. You might have MTHFR mutations or other genetic detox mutations . Have you been checked? And sometimes methylated b vitamin might help or sauna. Or leaky gut, candida , heavy metals other infections might be at play.

I am having dental issues.. problematic root  canal treatment gone wrong and infected tooth.

Was prescribed amoxillin. Havent taken it yet.

:-\

I have made a lot of progress in recent years and I am really scared to take it because I have had a lot of sensitivities. My sleep has improved and so does all my symptoms including akathisia and it would be emotionally too much to end to horrible setbacks again. Been there, done that. Have been really cautious to take any meds after severe akathisia.  :'(

I have bad experiences from cefalexin that I tried one time during wd and this feels awful to be in this situation. I had to stop using cefalexin after some pills because all my symptoms started to get so much worse and I even needed to take rescue doses I havent taken since. It was that bad. Luckily infection healed even though I stopped ntibiotics too soon. Have been scared to ended to situation to need antibiotics and having problems to tolerate them.

Havent had great experiences with antibiotics even before withdrawals and benzos. Took Cipro one time and it was a horrible experience. I know to avoid Cipro but have no clue about antibiotics such as Amoxillin what happens if I take it now when I am in benzo wd and I have sensitivities.

I was put on Keflex 500mgs every six hours for a cellulitis infection, after an office visit with my pcp, yesterday. This all came about after I was sedated with propofol for a colonoscopy. It is probably coincidence, as I had returned from Iowa two days before the procedure was done, with more than a few mosquito and chigger bites on me.  Nothing looked out of the ordinary until three days after the propofol. I was worried about taking the antibiotic for the cellulitis, but felt bad enough to risk it.

The pain was less when I took the second dose and mostly gone when I took the third dose this morning.

After the benzo/ambien ordeal, I had some shell shock toward any drugs. It's such a weight off of my shoulders to be drug free.

The bottom line is there is a time and place for some medications, but always read the side effects and any other info that will help make a decision on if you want to risk taking them.

I was put on Keflex 500mgs every six hours for a cellulitis infection, after an office visit with my pcp, yesterday. This all came about after I was sedated with propofol for a colonoscopy. It is probably coincidence, as I had returned from Iowa two days before the procedure was done, with more than a few mosquito and chigger bites on me.  Nothing looked out of the ordinary until three days after the propofol. I was worried about taking the antibiotic for the cellulitis, but felt bad enough to risk it.

The pain was less when I took the second dose and mostly gone when I took the third dose this morning.

After the benzo/ambien ordeal, I had some shell shock toward any drugs. It's such a weight off of my shoulders to be drug free.

The bottom line is there is a time and place for some medications, but always read the side effects and any other info that will help make a decision on if you want to risk taking them.

You’re lucky that your CNS is strong enough to be able to use medications like Keflex. Some of us are so extremely sensitized by withdrawal or kindling or adverse reactions that we can no longer take anything. The severe and long lasting affects I have suffered for 10 months now since I took ONE pill of amoxicillin were not listed as side effects. So I wasn’t prepared for the risks. I wish I had known to have been more careful during recovery from withdrawal and akathisia.  It seems some can and some can’t. And even that can change. I tolerated amoxicillin just fine for 3 weeks in month 2 of my recovery... but month 20 got floxed by one pill. I wish we knew why or what changes during the recovery process.

It’s criminal that because of this BS withdrawal I have to opt out of modern medicine if anything happens to me. That is extremely hard to accept day after day. But seems most people do okay with medicines and I seem to be in the minority with this issue.

You’re lucky that your CNS is strong enough to be able to use medications like Keflex. Some of us are so extremely sensitized by withdrawal or kindling or adverse reactions that we can no longer take anything. The severe and long lasting affects I have suffered for 10 months now since I took ONE pill of amoxicillin were not listed as side effects. So I wasn’t prepared for the risks. I wish I had known to have been more careful during recovery from withdrawal and akathisia.  It seems some can and some can’t. And even that can change. I tolerated amoxicillin just fine for 3 weeks in month 2 of my recovery... but month 20 got floxed by one pill. I wish we knew why or what changes during the recovery process.

It’s criminal that because of this BS withdrawal I have to opt out of modern medicine if anything happens to me. That is extremely hard to accept day after day. But seems most people do okay with medicines and I seem to be in the minority with this issue.

I am so sorry you got adverse reaction to Amoxillin. I have been in a situation myself I have been prescribed amoxillin for tooth infection. I talked with my dentist and she said we can try only root canal treatment first if it would help so I could avoid taking antibiotics. If it does not work for infection I am screwed.

I am minority myself too who seem to have problems with every single med. I have complicated med history that includes polypharmacy and benzos were just upped when I did not seem to tolerate meds doctor prescribed as a part of my polypharmacy cocktail. Instead of stopping the cocktail because it caused me harm. That had bad consequences to my CNS.

Yep, some of us seem to tolerate meds during benzo wd and other dont. I have also had kindling and have had a lot of adverse reactions to meds during recent years. I havent tolerated any meds  (psych meds beta blockers antibiotics antihistamines and so on) since and got issues every time trying them after kindling and akathisia. I have been avoiding basically all meds after akathisia and I have been lucky to be able to do so. Just in case and I have made a lot progress during last year. Just have been concentrated to live healthy life and take care of myself.

It is really scary to be in a situation where I know I have problems tolerating meds but I know what can be the result after taking them. What if I got really sick?  Only us understamd who have developed really bad sensitivities during benzo wd understand the fear of not toleraring meds and fear of getting sick... Be in a situation where doctor says you have to use this med to be able to heal...

Emotionally one more bad setback or akathisia would be too much for me. I spent so much time being so sick and being in this situation where I am now is so much better getting into that darkness and torturing symptons again would be too much emotionally.

I did not have problems tolerating meds before long term use SSRI  wd and before benzo wd. Except Cipro antibiotics...

Hi waiting12 and mimi, I am sorry you are going through this. It is so incredibly difficult. My CNS was/is super sensitive, but with the cellulitis infection I felt I had no other choice. The area above my left shoulder blade had grown to the size of my hand. The other two on my left arm were smaller, but still spreading.  Both have begun to heal since starting Keflex, which was a relief.  Both areas had sharp stabbing pains, were hot to the touch and kept spreading. The flesh under the red areas was not soft, but hard/stiff.

Yesterday I developed a buzzing in my left hand. It was ever so slight, but still there. This is a new symptom.  So far today it has not happened.

That is my only symptom and I'm starting day three.  I've gone through hell and back during this benzo  journey so many times, I forgot what life was like before.

I am so sorry you got adverse reaction to Amoxillin. I have been in a situation myself I have been prescribed amoxillin for tooth infection. I talked with my dentist and she said we can try only root canal treatment first if it would help so I could avoid taking antibiotics. If it does not work for infection I am screwed.

I am minority myself too who seem to have problems with every single med. I have complicated med history that includes polypharmacy and benzos were just upped when I did not seem to tolerate meds doctor prescribed as a part of my polypharmacy cocktail. Instead of stopping the cocktail because it caused me harm. That had bad consequences to my CNS.

Yep, some of us seem to tolerate meds during benzo wd and other dont. I have also had kindling and have had a lot of adverse reactions to meds during recent years. I havent tolerated any meds  (psych meds beta blockers antibiotics antihistamines and so on) since and got issues every time trying them after kindling and akathisia. I have been avoiding basically all meds after akathisia and I have been lucky to be able to do so. Just in case and I have made a lot progress during last year. Just have been concentrated to live healthy life and take care of myself.

It is really scary to be in a situation where I know I have problems tolerating meds but I know what can be the result after taking them. What if I got really sick?  Only us understamd who have developed really bad sensitivities during benzo wd understand the fear of not toleraring meds and fear of getting sick... Be in a situation where doctor says you have to use this med to be able to heal...

Emotionally one more bad setback or akathisia would be too much for me. I spent so much time being so sick and being in this situation where I am now is so much better getting into that darkness and torturing symptons again would be too much emotionally.

I did not have problems tolerating meds before long term use SSRI  wd and before benzo wd. Except Cipro antibiotics...

Mimi. Oh my gosh, our stories sound very similar. It’s eerie. I could’ve written what you wrote. The same thing happened to me. Mind if I PM you?

Hi waiting12 and mimi, I am sorry you are going through this. It is so incredibly difficult. My CNS was/is super sensitive, but with the cellulitis infection I felt I had no other choice. The area above my left shoulder blade had grown to the size of my hand. The other two on my left arm were smaller, but still spreading.  Both have begun to heal since starting Keflex, which was a relief.  Both areas had sharp stabbing pains, were hot to the touch and kept spreading. The flesh under the red areas was not soft, but hard/stiff.

Yesterday I developed a buzzing in my left hand. It was ever so slight, but still there. This is a new symptom.  So far today it has not happened.

That is my only symptom and I'm starting day three.  I've gone through hell and back during this benzo  journey so many times, I forgot what life was like before.

I developed a post surgical oral infection this spring and opted to try raw garlic by mouth 3 times per day instead of an antibiotic because I just cannot start over with akathisia again. I’m a slow healer and it takes me 6 months to get where someone else will get to in 1 month. Anyways,  it worked as an antibiotic. I was surprised myself that it worked. It’s broad spectrum and works body wide without harm. Just something you could look into for next time if you wanted. I hope you tolerate this well and your cellulitis goes away.

Hi waiting12, thanks for the raw garlic suggestion! It sounds like a very good alternative. 

Within a few hours after my first dose of keflex, I felt better and the pain was less, by the 2nd dose, the large red areas were calming down and the pain was gone. The only side effect I noticed was a buzzing feeling in my left hand, a couple of times, but would stop once I moved my hand.

Beings we are going on a cruise to Alaska in three weeks, I felt I could not take the chance of not taking an antibiotic. I have enough problems when I travel without the cellulitis infection.

I am becoming more down as the summer drags on because my insomnia hangs on and I feel so lifeless. Those who have recovered say this will pass. I'm just taking it a day at a time.

Mimi. Oh my gosh, our stories sound very similar. It’s eerie. I could’ve written what you wrote. The same thing happened to me. Mind if I PM you?

Of course you can PM me.  :)

I’m using a topical Antibiotic for a boil and it has set me way back. Vibrations are terrible. I’ve had insane anxiety attacks that I haven’t had since my first big drop in my dose. My stomach is all messed up and I haven’t even had issues with that very much. My fatigue and derealization is worse than ever. It is definitely affecting me. I have to be on it for another 4 days though. I don’t want to risk the boil coming back. I can’t believe even a topical AB is doing this.

Thank you for your kind words! Oh no, sorry to hear that you also have difficulties. And also great to hear Keflex have been working and hopefully there will not be new symptoms :) Yep, there is situations where using antibiotics would be very wise thing to do. Its so difficult when having sensitivities to meds. It feels like there is only bad options and worse options.. so big risks...

I am just waiting for my dentist time and next root canal and see what dentist says.... Decided not to take antibiotics, for now. I will try that "garlic method". Have been trying oil pulling also...

what does the Propofol have to do with the antibiotic , colonsocopy and cellulits. i am trying to figure out how that ties in?  i had propofol in june for a procedure, are you saying propofol gave you cellulits or did the colonoscopy or what?  ty

Cathymp, hopefully my insomnia addled brain can explain what happened.

I was in Iowa, visiting my mother, who lives on the farm where I grew up.

The mosquitos and chiggers were relentless, even with bug spray, so I came home with dozens if bug bites.

Two days after I returned home, I had a colonoscopy and was put under during the procedure with propofol.

Four days after that, I developed cellulitis near my left shoulder blade and upper left arm, where there were at least five bug bites.

I was put on Keflex for seven days which cleared up the areas of cellulitis.

I doubt the propofol had anything to do with the cellulitis.