The 3 Kinds of Psych Drugs

[co...]

Spot on cookie ....shutting people up seem to be what the entire mental health industry is really about, and pills are a quick and lucrative way to get the job done. good article. 🙂

Still so many seeking more drugs to deal with the damage FROM THE DRUGS!

Breaks my heart...

Mine as  well. ...

Wow, that was pretty harsh, his colleagues must love him lol

All I will add is that most other specialties are not much different. Cardiologists will prescribe statins to people with completely normal cholesterol and minimal risk factors. The NNT (number needed to treat) for these drugs is 167, or 167 people have to take them over a four year period in order to prevent a single death. Not sure who thought that was a great tradeoff...but these drugs have side effects too.

Doctors have every incentive to overtreat and almost no incentive to undertreat. The pharmaceutical companies basically run the show, but doctors have allowed that to happen. I think there is a good argument that the medical profession is one of the most unethical groups of people on the planet. They essentially exploit sick people (and sometimes healthy people) for profit. They take money from Pharma, then essentially make purchasing decisions for the patients while bearing very little of the risk. Meanwhile, the patient usually has very few resources to go to if they want to check whether their treatment is appropriate, if they are capable of understanding it at all. All the while, doctors will almost always agree with what other doctors say, and in cases of patient injury, they will back other doctors nearly 100% of the time, regardless of the negligence or inappropriateness of treatment that took place.

If you listen to this JAMA: Professionalism podcast called "What to do if you suspect a colleague is performing inappropriate procedures"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/pages/jama-professionalism (at the top), at about the 17:30 mark they start describing a case from the 1960s. A woman was in a car accident and ended up needing an operation on her legs. An orthopaedic surgeon performed surgery on her legs but screwed up and had to do it again. He ended up doing nine operations on her and messed up so badly that she needed a leg amputated. She sought out a doctor's opinion that the care was inappropriate so she could sue, but the first 3 surgeons she talked to didn't want to get involved. The fourth said that although wouldn't have pursued the same care himself, it was medically appropriate. Later it came out that the surgeon who had operated on her legs was a drug addict and had injured a large number of patients, but since the statute of limitations had run out for the patient to sue that doctor, she sued the guy who said the operations were medically appropriate. A doctor who testified for her said it was unbelievable that anyone would find that treatment medically appropriate and that he could not possibly imagine the reasoning behind it. Of course this was only after this doctor had injured such a large number of patients that it became a story in the media and his drug habit came to light. Prior to that, zero physicians were willing to prevent a huge number of people from having their lives ruined by calling out a colleague. So this game of covering for their colleagues has been going on for a long time. The game is to protect yourself and protect the gravy train. There will always be more patients.

I feel like some of us, have done a lot of really amazing work piecing together the whole huge picture and sharing what we have found.

I don’t think that it matters that we are all most likely lonely, ill and that our way of sharing what we find is essentially confined to posting on here—though I know there are other ways and that those ways are growing and some specific ones have gained some momentum.

I really don’t think it matters that we basically just talk about it here, I feel like every little inch for us counts and that people do read here, some do, and it does change things... it also builds awareness and momentum and then when someone who reads here uses another online platform or talks to a family member or a neighbor then they are armed with more awareness and clarity. Also, you can’t unsee what we find here so often, it all has to have some impact and I will bet that it reaches beyond benzobuddies.org... No question.

I think we should never stop speaking on these things, never stop saying what the truth is, and I’m so thankful for every single thread and post like this. Some of us have been hit hard but it doesn’t stop us from hitting back. We get ridicule for telling the truth and being ourselves in world that is so sold out with so many people who are either the walking dead, and/or who have straight up sold their souls and signed them over to evil.

Whatever each of us believe about all kinds of other things is not so important as the fact that many of us are concerned for the moral underpinnings and fabric of what it means to live a honorable life. I’m saddened by the things we all know now and can see and speak on, but no matter how bad it has gotten, or had gotten, we still have kept going.

There can be judgement and it can feel scary, I can get so angry at what happens, but as crazy as it sounds I have a real gut feeling that it has been incredibly important to speak the truth in just this one area, even if many others push against it and hate it. It is not good for these things to continue and this website is needed (obviously,) nothing should jeopardize its utility for helping us off and through the different stages of this iatrogenic withdrawal injury. I feel an important part of the entire picture is standing for something. Thank you to those who do. It is more than just getting off a crippling drug at this point for all of us, even if someone wants to claim it isn’t, to do so would be essentially denying humanity and denying what is moral and humane.

That last sentence as many of my buddies well know is not an exaggeration, overstatement or high-minded ideal, it’s down to the reality that we as individuals either accept lies, death, evil and all that is inhumane or we hold space and stand for the truth and what will protect us and keep us safe—for what is right.

Isn’t there something called the 100th monkey thing? Whatever it is I don’t know, but as small as a place like this is and as much as we bash on being here at times, I feel like the things no one wants to look at or say that are just hands down wrong are very important to say, and that really isn’t coming from a place of “I need a purpose, I want to be an activist.” I don’t. I want to heal and go to school for film and create work that doesn’t take us away from our humanity or nature, but that takes us away from all the ugliness and shows what good is left on the earth and what simplicity and good can exist in human beings.

Thank you always for posting threads like these and other posts, thank you for supporting what is right and noble.

How anyone could go through this, see the worst of what can happen, and not intentionally at least metaphorically hawk a big loogie at big pharma, doesn’t make sense to me. Also, far better than stating how awful it all is over and over is finding these little darts and arrows to throw, especially at socially pivotal times informationally... or just anytime! In my mind it really does require yelling out that something is incredibly wrong here, acknowledging exactly what that is, and saying for as many to hear as possible, as many ways and times as possible that all the corruption by the medical field and the entire industry of medicine needs to be checked somehow, and it needs to be exposed and it needs to stop. How will that happen if all we all do all the time is act like little Pollyanna?

Good post, mon pilote.

I feel my purpose in life now is to keep people from going down the 'we just haven't found the right combination yet' drug pushers in white coats.

I've long given up being understood by anyone at all.  The nefarious motivations I've been accused of!

I feel like some of us, have done a lot of really amazing work piecing together the whole huge picture and sharing what we have found.

I agree. Great post, MP. It is no joke to suffer an injury to the nervous system, be told it is something else completely, then search through the vast quantity of medical literature and illnesses and figure out what is actually wrong, all while severely impaired and with no formal medical education. Everyone deserves a big kudos for that. Doctors will always try to minimize it by calling it withdrawal or just denying it altogether and calling it anxiety, but I will always reject that for the BS that it is. They cannot warp our reality, even if in most domains we feel pretty lost and disorganized.

Cookie, I think there are many here who understand you.