Hives from heat/exercise - anyone else developed this?

[Wi...]

My son has been battling a condition called "cholinergic urticaria" - which is a form of chronic hives that is made worse with any sweating or heat.  It is very uncomfortable. And limiting what he can do a lot - especially now that summer is here.

It developed during his taper from 15mg diazepam to 6mg.  But it has persisted now for the past 10 months.

Is this a withdrawal phenomenon?  Does it get better ?

I don't know but I would not be surprised based on the testimony I just heard of Baylissa's withdrawal and her hair falling out, skin issues, etc.  Nothing surprises me with this junk anymore.  I'm sorry about your son having that - very uncomfortable, to say the least, I'm sure.

Get the hives as well as other rashes. Started in November as my dose got lower. Heat makes them worse my hives run from one side of the front of the neck to the other side and can last up to 2 months. I can’t go outside. If I do the moment I get in the sun it feels like pins and needles sticking in my skin.

I broke out into terrible hives during my taper.  Made worse by heat.  Big hives mostly on legs, but also arms and chest. 

I've heard others say same, and somewhat counter intuitively, found cosmetic olive oil helped.  They lasted about 6 weeks.  Others found more 'drying' applications, calamine lotion, eg. helped.  Neither 'cured' the hives, but for me soothed, and reduced. 

I don't really know cause, but have heard others say withdrawal can trigger an histamine response. 

I occasionally (still) get one or two on random parts of my body. 

Dee

I got hives yesterday during yoga, but it was hot all day yesterday. Couple things I've found that are great for hives, one is a Chinese medicine formula called Pi Yang Ping. It's an ointment that I use for bug bites and other itchies. You can find it on Amazon. I've used it for years. Another one is this stuff I've found recently called Willow Balm. It's a lot cheaper if you can find it at a local store. It's a lotion for pain, works pretty well on my arthritis, but works well on hives and other itchies, too. My neighbor bought some for pain, and has been nagging me to try it. Worked so well for my husband that he bought a second tube. Hives are gone now.

My son's hives cover his entire body - scalp to feet - all over, and occur all at once when he gets too warm.  Ointments are not an option when it is the entire body and head !  They occur when he starts to sweat for any reason they are painful, incredibly itchy all over and extremely uncomfortable.  He has to quickly get ice packs to cool his body if he starts to get too warm.  He was diagnosed with "cholinergic urticaria" - chronic hives.  These started after a period of tapering diazepam from 10mg to 6mg.  He still has them now over a year.  He started injections from the immunologist of Xolair which are starting to help.  I still think these are probably related to the diazepam.  I did read that there are GABA receptors on immune cells in the body.  It seems his immune system has gone a bit overboard.  I hope this stops when he gets off the diazepam - but that seems like it might be a while.

Wisconsin mom:

I suffered with a severe rash on my ankles, outer calves and outer arms for years.  The entire time I was taking 2 mg of clonazepam daily.  The rash finally went

away when I reached 10% of 1 mg in my taper.  I think you are correct.  This is a direct response to the benzo in your son's system.  I feel pretty sure the rash

will disappear as he tapers at some point.

Good luck to you and your son.

Klonkar

Wisconsin mom:

I suffered with a severe rash on my ankles, outer calves and outer arms for years.  The entire time I was taking 2 mg of clonazepam daily.  The rash finally went

away when I reached 10% of 1 mg in my taper.  I think you are correct.  This is a direct response to the benzo in your son's system.  I feel pretty sure the rash

will disappear as he tapers at some point.

Good luck to you and your son.

Thanks, Klonkar.  Good to hear it resolved for you.  My son will be happy to hear this.

Klonkar

Have you looked at the contraindications of Abilify and diazepam when taken together?  I'm sure you have but if not you might want to look.  Some of my worst symptoms have been caused by taking two drugs together.

Thinking of you.

Klonkar

Thanks, Klonkar.

The hives pre-dated the abilify.  But he has been on and off other similar meds through the past 19 months - who knows how all this stuff interacts!    He is now off all antipsychotics for 11 days, and feeling a bit bitter - but still unable to get warm or exercise or else severe itching all over.  Hopefully things will improve over time.  Congrats on your tapering - you have made it a long way!