14 months off after 30 years of benzos

[ri...]

I was on benzos (Xanax then Klonopin) for 30 years for treatment of panic disorder. I tapered for 6 weeks last spring and I've been off for 14 months and overall I'm doing well but I experience a lot of very strange withdrawals still.

Hello rinoki71 :hug: Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We are glad you found us, congratulations on being 14 months benzo free.  I am pleased you are doing well. You will get plenty of advice and support here to help you on your journey.  It’s not unusual to have some withdrawal symptoms this far out so hang in there, we do eventually get better with more time. 

Please feel free to post and ask questions.  We have a great community, our members are very supportive and caring.  Check out the forum and post to any of our dedicated threads.

Are you familiar with the Ashton Manual ?  It is an excellent resource about these types of medication and their effect on the body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms

Here are a couple of useful links:

Professor Ashtons Manual

Post withdrawal recovery support.

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Wow, 30 years and now 14 months off. Bravo rinoki71 image.gifWhat are your worst sx's now? Do you still have panic attacks? Have you had much improvement?  If yes, When did you notice improvements starting?

Welcome to BB btw!

Hi Rinoki71!

I started using Xanax, not on a daily basis, but as needed back in 1993. Then for the past nine years I used a very small amount daily, .25 divided into two doses, after an accident and nerve pain, I went up to .75 for some months and from there I began to taper. Before Xanax I would sometimes take half a .5 Valium on days of high stress, but very seldom. In my family everyone took Valium if needed, this was back before we knew anything about addiction. I jumped on April 13th, 2019, after tapering for two years. I had almost every symptom in the Ashton manual.

Now I still have some symptoms, as for example, weight loss, fatigue, burning sensation in my gums, this is a new one...low blood pressure, and constipation.

I would like to know which are your remaining symptoms, if you don’t mind sharing.

This has been a very rocky road for me.

Best