Working while tapering

[...]

Hi guys

I am back.

I am still on .50mg zanax after 4 years

How many of you have been able to work through the withdrawal. What are your secrets!!

Hi guys

I am back.

I am still on .50mg zanax after 4 years

How many of you have been able to work through the withdrawal. What are your secrets!!

I have and it was extremely hard. I kind of judge my employer for keeping me around at this point. But things that worked:

I was more comfortable with cut and hold because I could choose when I cut, when I had symptoms. If I had an important meeting coming up I would hold if I had time to be symptomatic I’d cut.

I work from home and needed 2 to 5 20 minute naps a day. Don’t think I would have made it without naps.

Positive thinking, taking things day by day minute by minute.

Sometimes I wanted to keep tapering through a wave but I had to prioritize work. I had to hold sometimes to stabilize and be functional enough to work.

I didn’t tell anyone at work about my taper. Kind of goes without saying but...

I had to work extra hours to get the same amount of work done. I just did. It’s not my jobs fault I took poison for years and now can’t think straight.

Naps, naps more naps.

Double check everything then check it again. I come across old emails and cringe.

Hope this helps if I think of anything else I’ll come back.

Best of luck and you can do it!

I work, and it's been crappy. I do have to take Remeron to manage my nausea and dry heaving or I couldn't work during taper. I also have to taper so slowly so nausea doesn't get out of control and interfere with work. Also, I could not taper from short half life drug (I was originally on Ativan/transferred to Klonopin for taper... would have prefered Valium for Ashton taper but my doc wouldn't do it.) because the interdose withdrawal nausea was awful. If I wasn't working, I could taper faster, but work is a good distraction and tapering slowly is probably best to allow my sensitive CNS ample recovery time on the way down before I jump. I wish I could go faster since I still have nausea and I've had bad weight loss, but I'm a mom and the main income provider. I need to be able to work so slow taper it is for me. Good luck.

I tried but was just too sick and had to go on SSDI (disability). It took me almost 2 years to get tho. Luckily, I had some savings and no debt when all this happened to me. :-(

I'm working as the main breadwinner but not sure how much longer.  I took a 5 month break from my taper and held and due to other med change; now, my CNS is super hypersensitive and I know I'm in tolerance w/d.  I tried to taper down for 3 days this week ( mini micro-taper) and had to go back up to try and stabilize and to see if I can get back to 1x per day.  I felt the small cuts immediately.  I wish that I could nap - sleep is one of my biggest issues, along with a whole host of others.  Paresthesia, akathesia at times, muscle pain, facial numbness, trembling, internal trembling, dizziness, the list goes on. Did have nausea, dry mouth, and other digestive issues but those were traded for the skin burning, tingling, dizziness, and a host of others.  I already have anxiety and depression - work is not a good distraction for me.  I react to everything I take, including Tylenol, now.  This is UNREAL for me but for you, you may be fine.  Everyone is different - my situation is different b/c I really started this unstable and I have such a hypersensitive CNS.

I admire anyone that has managed to withdraw while working. I could neve have done it. You all are awesome!

Thank you GP! It wasn’t by choice believe me but I have to live. Ha Wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

What has helped me remain functional and continue work.

1. Switching to Valium.

2. Tapering very slowly (about 8% per month)

3. Remeron (22.5 mg).

Yes, I tapered while working and it was hell.  I work a high stress job with a lot of visibility (presentations, meetings, etc.).  I was dizzy, nauseous, agoraphobic, etc.  It felt like every time I walked into a building, I was drowning.  I literally held my breath from the door to my building to my office.

And, because I started tapering during summer, I was sweating like crazy (I'm sure people suspected I was having a drug issue). Fortunately, though

I have a high stress job, my boss/employer are pretty forgiving/flexible when it comes to hours.  When I needed a day off, or needed to go home to

escape, I wasn't penalized for it or anything.  Of course, I never told them what I was going through; I essentially said I was having trouble adapting

to BP medication (which wasn't entirely false--my BP was skyrocketing at that point).  My employer also has a pretty generous leave policy, but if I

took advantage of it, even if I didn't disclose what was going on, it would have hurt my career prospects, and would have raised a lot of questions. So,

yes, it was a struggle.  I will say that I would not have been able to do it just by tapering Xanax.  It would have been impossible; the interdose issues

I was having felt like I was going to pass out (and I probably would have a few times).  Once I acclimated to valium, things went a bit smoother. I also

added a small dose of zoloft (yes, I know) and talk therapy, which I think helped, because it helped allay my anxieties about everyone at work thinking I was slacking off/a pill addict, whatever.  Still employed, though, off all pills, and just got a raise today, in fact! 

Yes, I tapered while working and it was hell.  I work a high stress job with a lot of visibility (presentations, meetings, etc.).  I was dizzy, nauseous, agoraphobic, etc.  It felt like every time I walked into a building, I was drowning.  I literally held my breath from the door to my building to my office.

And, because I started tapering during summer, I was sweating like crazy (I'm sure people suspected I was having a drug issue). Fortunately, though

I have a high stress job, my boss/employer are pretty forgiving/flexible when it comes to hours.  When I needed a day off, or needed to go home to

escape, I wasn't penalized for it or anything.  Of course, I never told them what I was going through; I essentially said I was having trouble adapting

to BP medication (which wasn't entirely false--my BP was skyrocketing at that point).  My employer also has a pretty generous leave policy, but if I

took advantage of it, even if I didn't disclose what was going on, it would have hurt my career prospects, and would have raised a lot of questions. So,

yes, it was a struggle.  I will say that I would not have been able to do it just by tapering Xanax.  It would have been impossible; the interdose issues

I was having felt like I was going to pass out (and I probably would have a few times).  Once I acclimated to valium, things went a bit smoother. I also

added a small dose of zoloft (yes, I know) and talk therapy, which I think helped, because it helped allay my anxieties about everyone at work thinking I was slacking off/a pill addict, whatever.  Still employed, though, off all pills, and just got a raise today, in fact!

Congrats on the raise Gogogaba!! You’ve made it! I feel I’m still not quite out of the woods, only 1 week off,  but I’ve made it two years at my company and tapering most of that time. It is possible and I’m very grateful.

Mountaintop-that's incredible.  The way I look at it, NOTHING at work can ever be as tough as a benzo taper.  Keep going, my friend!

I work in construction and it’s a double edge sword. It’s good cause it helps distraction and I’m outside and it’s physical but I get too tired a lot of the times and revs up the anxiety. For now I’ll take that over staying home alone with anxiety thoughts.

I work in construction and it’s a double edge sword. It’s good cause it helps distraction and I’m outside and it’s physical but I get too tired a lot of the times and revs up the anxiety. For now I’ll take that over staying home alone with anxiety thoughts.

Agree about the distraction Greek. Is it safe though to work in construction while tapering? I have thought a few times I’m so glad I don’t have a job working machinery or in the medical field, that would not have been safe for anyone else or me. With the confusion forgetfulness, clumsyness... I cant imagine.

Agree about the distraction Greek. Is it safe though to work in construction while tapering? I have thought a few times I’m so glad I don’t have a job working machinery or in the medical field, that would not have been safe for anyone else or me. With the confusion forgetfulness, clumsyness... I cant imagine.

Hi mountain top 1, what is it that you do... I also want to work but  I have sleep issues no naps, dizziness, blurry vision , balance issues  vertigo but  need to distract and money.oh also low sugar blood pressure  in the morning till afternoon

holding to stabilize 

Mountaintop-that's incredible.  The way I look at it, NOTHING at work can ever be as tough as a benzo taper.  Keep going, my friend!

I agree Gogogaba, wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I’m really hoping any waves I experience now are less intense than any before. We will see! Wish you the best!