DLMT Advice on Taper Rate Needed

[...]

Good evening,

I have a question about adjusting my taper rate.  I have recently been trying to DLMT at a rate of 5% every 14 days which could be a reasonable rate from what is suggested at my current dose of 2.75mg of Ativan.  At this rate, I often have a few days out of each week where I don't have much  energy, often feel nauseous and difficulty getting off the couch.  I also have been having days each week where I'm doing better, can socialize, exercise, take care of needed house and yard tasks etc.

I am wondering if I should slow my taper rate?  If I do slow down would it be better to decrease my taper rate by making smaller cuts?  Or keep the same rate and make holds in between milestones every couple of weeks if I continue to have these regular ups and downs? 

Example:  I could try cutting 3.5% every 14 days.  Or I could stay at the same rate of 5% every 14 days and hold for a week after every two weeks.  Both of these examples would take the same amount of time. At either of these rates if I was able to maintain a consistency, it would take me at least another year and a half to complete my taper. 

Anyone with personal experience or considerable observation of people going through this, I would appreciate hearing from you. I would appreciate hearing from people who have made adjustments to their taper rates in a way that resulted in less symptoms and allowed them to participate in life more fully while tapering.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Luey

Good evening,

I have a question about adjusting my taper rate.  I have recently been trying to DLMT at a rate of 5% every 14 days which could be a reasonable rate from what is suggested at my current dose of 2.75mg of Ativan.  At this rate, I often have a few days out of each week where I don't have much  energy, often feel nauseous and difficulty getting off the couch.  I also have been having days each week where I'm doing better, can socialize, exercise, take care of needed house and yard tasks etc.

I am wondering if I should slow my taper rate?  If I do slow down would it be better to decrease my taper rate by making smaller cuts? Or keep the same rate and make holds in between milestones every couple of weeks if I continue to have these regular ups and downs? 

Example:  I could try cutting 3.5% every 14 days.  Or I could stay at the same rate of 5% every 14 days and hold for a week after every two weeks.  Both of these examples would take the same amount of time. At either of these rates if I was able to maintain a consistency, it would take me at least another year and a half to complete my taper. 

Anyone with personal experience or considerable observation of people going through this, I would appreciate hearing from you. I would appreciate hearing from people who have made adjustments to their taper rates in a way that resulted in less symptoms and allowed them to participate in life more fully while tapering.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Luey

Yes, just make smaller cuts, each day  Smaller cuts, more often, is always the most gentle way to taper.

Your other proposal, "...hold between milestones" is just a progression back toward a cut and hold schedule.

Thanks Builder,

Starting tomorrow I will decrease my reduction amount from 5% every 14 days to 5% every 21 days. If necessary I will decrease it even more.  I hope this helps and that I will soon have less down days.  This has not been an easy process, but I am trying to accept the slower rate and consequent length of time to reach my ever more distant goal of getting to zero.  I have come to realize it will be worth it if I can enjoy life more and suffer less in the meantime.

Wishing more ease to all,

Luey

• 2 weeks later...