does doing a valium here and there prolong xanax withdrawal

[ba...]

I feel so bad, I did a 5 mg valium and it did not help. Does this prolong the withdrawal process as I cannot take this anymore. Was on 4 mg of Xanax a day for 20 years and c/t(not my choice). I am so scared and so stressed from everything especially my finances are depleting and scared I'll be on the street soon, need help, 60 years old and it seems the only thing I have to look forward to is death.

I took a (once only) 5mg rescue dose when I couldn't stand it anymore banditcat. 

It didn't help.

I don't think it's a good idea to take Valium every once in a while.  I think it will only prime your CNS over, and over again. 

I don't know much about Xanax outside it being 'stronger' than Valium, and (think) 4mgs fairly hefty dose. 

Would it be an option (if you are rescue dosing) to reinstate and taper slowly? 

Would your doctor, any doctor, be open to this if you explained your case?

It's terrible that people are put in situations such as you are experiencing.  It's criminal.

I'm so sorry. 

Dee

:smitten:

How long since you stopped Xanax? Your Gaba receptors may have  healed a bit in which case reinstating and then tapering is an option but you might be very sensitive to Xanax and need to restart at a lower dose. Valium 5 mg will do nothing to someone used to Xanax 4 mg.  4mg Xanax is equivalent to 60 mg of Valium. No wonder you feel terrible.

I think Dee makes a very good point about tapering but whether to start from say 2 of Xanax or 30 of Diazepam is a clinical decision you need to make with a doc experienced in withdrawal.

I can send you a guide explaining why reinstatement is difficult to judge if you wish.

Reinstatement 8 months out is unusual.  Someone will know.

I am afraid it’s going to hurt for a while and with financial issues looming it must me hard.

Try not to drink alcohol as your brain trying to recover.

Best w

Dick

I feel so bad, I did a 5 mg valium and it did not help. Does this prolong the withdrawal process as I cannot take this anymore. Was on 4 mg of Xanax a day for 20 years and c/t(not my choice). I am so scared and so stressed from everything especially my finances are depleting and scared I'll be on the street soon, need help, 60 years old and it seems the only thing I have to look forward to is death.

Hello banditcat,

I welcomed you yesterday to the forum and was shocked that you were ct'd from such a high dose of xanax. Shocked by not surprised because I've unfortunately seen it before. No doctor should be allowed to do this!!  I asked you when you ct'd the xanax, would you mind giving us that information?

As was stated by Dick, reinstatement followed by a slow sensible taper is possible.  You would need to find a doctor willing to help with this. Valium is often used to taper from because of it's long half life, that's what I did.  A small 'rescue' dose won't have much effect I'm afraid. If you really want to taper, it should be planned out and we'll be happy to help with that.

I do know how brutal a ct can be, I was told to do this for a medical test and I was on a low dose of ativan at the time. I was very very sick, I can't even describe just how sick I was.  My story is long and complicated because no one knew or was willing to admit that I was going through withdrawal. However, what you feel is temporary and will ease up with time.  It's tough and I feel for you because I know what it's like. 

If you feel hopeless, please find someone to talk to about these feelings.  I understand your health issues as well as monetary problems weigh heavily on you right now.  Sometimes talking to someone is a big help. Here are a few resources:

Self-Harm Resources

At this stage the best plan is to survive each moment, hour and day while you central nervous system starts to recover. It may take some time. Distract as best you can; books, movies, puzzles were my 'go to's".  We understand what you are going through.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Well put piano girl

Best wishes to you bandicat.

Dick

In another post I see you are 8 months off CT of 4 mg Xanax.  I dunno it people usually reinstate that long out but some one will advise.

D

• 1 month later...
I reinstated after 6 mounth ct klonopin i am one month after reinstament thing are much better now but it takes time

I was ct off 11 mg Xanax. It was horrible beyond words. I held on for three awful years and then went on a large dose of klonopin. I did a very slow taper off that plus some Valium. I’ve only been benzo free for about six weeks but so far so good. Btw my taper was pretty easy. Not that I’m recommending a reinstatement. It just that it worked for me...