Anxious & Confused

[mp...]

I joined because I don't have a personal support group and am tired of feeling crazy. I have been on 2mg xanax daily for 12 years. I want to taper off but anxiety/panic attacks are so bad I only leave the house to see doctors and someone still has to drive me. The agoraphobia started in june last year, when GP prescribed lexapro to help squelch the anxiety. Big mistake. It was poison for me. Microdosed off of that but now I'm just a mess. Need ideas and comfort of being able to talk to someone else who gets it. Docs are worthless to me. Kids are all adults living their own lives. I'm supposed to start grad school in August and need to get my act together. Today I turned 64. I also have heart disease & bad palpitations, along with constant irregular heart beats, which we all know happens with panic anyway. So it's an endless cycle for me. I do know that I have a tolerance to the prescribed Xanax dose, but have managed to not abuse it or go over the daily prescribed dose. Thank you for letting me join.

Hello nmap2019,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  I'm sorry you had a difficult time with Lexapro, many anti depressants are stimulating and can cause an increase in anxiety, at least at the outset.  Are you wanting to taper off xanax?  Our mission here on the forum is to inform and support people who wish to taper of a benzodiazepine. I know many people who suffered with severe anxiety. When off the drugs they found their anxiety to be less and they had better coping tools to deal with it.  Whatever you decide to do, you are welcome here!

If you decide to taper, after such a long term usage, a slow taper is recommended to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Generally a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

I really never had panic or severe anxiety until I was given benzos for a supposed inner ear problem. The drug did a great job of creating it due to tolerance and withdrawal.  If you decide to taper, since you have heart disease, it would be best to be in the care of a doctor. I know that many of us have negative feelings about the medical care we received but it's important to have someone monitor your health during the process.

We do understand how you feel. I don't know how long ago you tapered off lexapro, but sensitive people can find coming off AD's to be challenging.  We'll be happy to offer information and support to you.  Good for you for looking towards grad school at 64!!!  Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans   

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)