Diazepam induced oxidative DNA damage in cultured human lymphocytes

[Fi...]

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1018364717301052

"Abstract

Diazepam is a benzodiazepine compound that is mainly used for anxiety, muscle spasms, seizures and insomnia. Several studies have shown that long-term Diazepam treatment is associated with oxidative stress. In this study, the possible genotoxic effect of Diazepam was examined in cultured human white blood cells using the sister chromatid exchanges (SCEs), chromosomal aberrations (CAs) and 8-hydroxy-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) assays. Treatment of cultured lymphocytes with different concentrations of Diazepam (1, 10 and 100 µg/mL) did not induce chromosomal DNA damage as measured using SCEs and CAs assays (P > 0.05). In addition, no effect was observed on mitotic and proliferative indices (P > 0.05). However, Diazepam induced oxidative DNA damage as measured by the 8-OHdG assay in a dose dependent manner (P < 0.001). In conclusion, Diazepam seems to induce oxidative DNA damage in cultured human lymphocytes. More in vivo studies are required to confirm current finding."

I wouldn't really worry about the findings of this article in a journal that I hadn't heard of before seeing this article. And I know most journals.

As if 'real' journals are perfectly unbiased...

I certainly wonder if my DNA has been altered.

5 1/2 years later and no end in sight.

How much more damage to my body from the insomnia and anxiety?

I wouldn't really worry about the findings of this article in a journal that I hadn't heard of before seeing this article. And I know most journals.

The intent of linking this recent and well documented research & reporting is not to worry people but rather to better inform them, as is the intent sharing of this link:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-2184.2007.00503.x

“Thanks for the continuous updates ———. Anyone’s who’s watched your transition will recognize the remarkable healing that’s you’ve made, especially seeing you in the first few months.

I’m 4 years 2 months off my cold turkey. I was functional able to work early on but not easily. It got a little better at 22 months, at 27 months there was the most promising marked improvement.

All this healing continued and the symptoms kept disappearing. I’m better than ever now, better than Pre benzo. This does heal.”

This was sent to me from my buddy I talk to.  He was long term CT. 

Nice study though... 🤷‍♂️

The intent of linking this recent and well documented research & reporting is not to worry people but rather to better inform them, as is the intent sharing of this link:

I will just say one thing. When the conclusion of an abstract says this and that SEEMs to do something, then I lose interest completely. In science there is no such a thing as seems. There's numbers which either support or discard the hypothesis.

I will just say one thing. When the conclusion of an abstract says this and that SEEMs to do something, then I lose interest completely. In science there is no such a thing as seems. There's numbers which either support or discard the hypothesis.

That’s not really true at all, example: The Theory of Relativity, even scientists call gravity theory. You don’t know science.

That is rule one: we only know in part; science is not about final answers it is about endless questions. I can describe this further and prove this out if necessary. Right now I am stoned and in agony, but any real scientist knows these basics. I don’t claim to be a scientist but I know that much, anything that ends up widely agreed on first begins as a hypothesis. That is how we come to any conclusions at all... so there have been enough studies on the carcinogenicity of benzodiazepines by 2016 for there to be an article verifying that bdz have carcinogenic effects. There have been other articles since then confirming this and there are other members here who also know of these articles and can site them.

So, there have been enough studies to confirm beyond “seem” or seems by now. There have actually been many. The last time I checked it was almost 800 that supported this theory, there have been more. I believe it was 798 then and that was a whole three years ago.

Apart from the one absolute confirmation I mentioned, as I said there have been other absolute confirmative scientific articles from reputable sources on the connections since then and they have been sited here actually already on other threads.

And as you can see by the posting here there is toxic resistance to the truth, so this is why we would have to go dig up those threads and studies and consolidate them to really help you out with the facts. Because since they are facts it is probably a good idea that the general population is aware and that does include all adults who need to know potentially life-saving information about the choices they make about their health and what the risks are with this chemical compound.

I read an article years ago that said that benzo's do damage DNA.  That's a very bad thing.  Sometimes it won't repair depending on the type of damage, I've learned.

I am a scientist and have read extensively about the philosophy of science. I'm not talking about science in general, which I agree with you can't find final answers. Nevertheless, scientific publishing has rules. I'm talking about a claim this article makes and the authors don't follow the rules.

Also, if there are other articles, please cite them.

In addition, this is an animal study. Good, now we can cure rats.

Please cite a human study that showed that bzds are carcinogenic. I can cite you studies from the 50s-60s showing that smoking causes lung cancer but I haven't found any studies that bzds cause any type of cancer in humans.

I knew you would go there with the rats; yes I can find the studies again. When this wave subsides I will calmly do that.

What I’m essentially saying is that there have been enough teams of medical scientists who have done enough experiments, studies, research and research analysis with the scientific method to have finally confirmed that there is enough peer-reviewed evidence to support the hypothesis that was posed, the concern, that benzodiazepines could have potentially carcinogenic effects and that yes there are studies and yes they can be cited.

Also, I apologize for that but it seems there is a hostile resistance here to bringing up the issue, which is also understandable but at the same time this is why it would all need to be gathered again. I have not been organized and well enough to have it all on hand at my fingertips because I also have respect for the sensitivity of the issue. It’s a lot or stress to try and talk about at all, for all of us, and I understand. Suppressing information is also a very real concern however. This information is also globally suppressed and silenced just as the extent of withdrawal side effect and cns damage issues are.

Right now I’m not well enough to be debating.

I hate it too, I’m not happy about it. I don’t like to talk about all this stuff either but I don’t think it’s good for nearly the entire population to be absolutely in the dark about something so serious.

Yes, I am sorry this is far too stressful for me right now. If I recover I’ll get them and if anyone else can find or knows what I mean in the meantime they are welcome. This is not easy for me at all, and I’m a wreck right now.

I knew you would go there with the rats; yes I can find the studies again. When this wave subsides I will calmly do that.

What I’m essentially saying is that there have been enough teams of medical scientists who have done enough experiments, studies, research and research analysis with the scientific method to have finally confirmed that there is enough peer-reviewed evidence to support the hypothesis that was posed, the concern, that benzodiazepines could have potentially carcinogenic effects and that yes there are studies and yes they can be cited.

Also, I apologize for that but it seems there is a hostile resistance here to bringing up the issue, which is also understandable but at the same time this is why it would all need to be gathered again. I have not been organized and well enough to have it all on hand at my fingertips because I also have respect for the sensitivity of the issue. It’s a lot or stress to try and talk about at all, for all of us, and I understand. Suppressing information is also a very real concern however. This information is also globally suppressed and silenced just as the extent of withdrawal side effect and cns damage issues are.

Right now I’m not well enough to be debating.

I'm not hostile at all just want to have the scientific evidence. I can feel your pain, I've been there (and still am). I haven't seen evidence that benzos can cause cancer. We all know they cause withdrawal symptoms. But cancer is a different issue.

Ok, no problem. I can work on it. Great, not hostile here either. If it isn’t received then I really will just let it go here again.

I’m trying to just let this stuff go. Ok, later then. Can appreciate all this, thanks.

The OP article didn't say anything about cancer, just that the research article said that benzo's can cause DNA damage.  I also read an article years ago that said that benzo's can break the spine of the DNA stranad and then it can't be repaired.  Can't remember where that research article is anymore. 

A lot of things can cause DNA damage. In fact there's DNA damage going on in many of our cells all the time. However, there are  repair enzymes that fx the damage.