Anyone who's recovered/near recovery able to play sports?

[wr...]

I used to play at a reasonably high level of soccer but haven't been able to do any exercise for 3 years due to withdrawal. To add insult to injury I've put on weight because of it too and feel very unfit.

I'm so determined to get fit again, get back playing soccer and never take the ability to do this for granted again.

However I don't know how to navigate this. If it's a bad idea to push yourself, or necessary. If I should be more patient until I feel 100% recovered. (I'd say I'm at 65%/70% recovered) or if pushing myself now will expedite recovery.

Has anyone been in this position where they've been able to regain their athleticism? Do you have any advice?

Thanks

I don’t play team sports but I’m a runner. Also not fully recovered but getting there. At about 6 months off, I was able to start running again after daily walking. I started out slowly but naturally I started pushing myself and I’m up to about 20 miles a week now. If I had waited, I believe I wouldn’t have recovered as quickly as I have.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I was a collegiate powerlifter and I am still able to perform at a high level but I feel much more wiped out after hard workouts now, sometimes needing 48 hours or more to recover. Intense exercise and athletics put a lot of pressure on your nervous system, so it can rev up your symptoms, but it has never caused me a long term issue, just a shitty couple of days. I can play pickup basketball again too and I feel pretty good doing that. You'll get there. I think its good to push yourself through it and test your limits to see what you can handle doing regularly. How long has it been since you completely jumped?

• 4 weeks later...
My fatigue put the kibosh on my Pickleball playing. I was just too 💤. Now I’m back but going slower than before. I used to play 12 hours a week and now I’m at six hours. If I get tired before that I just leave. It does give you a workout.

• 1 month later...

I don’t play team sports but I’m a runner. Also not fully recovered but getting there. At about 6 months off, I was able to start running again after daily walking. I started out slowly but naturally I started pushing myself and I’m up to about 20 miles a week now. If I had waited, I believe I wouldn’t have recovered as quickly as I have.

Apologies for the late reply. That's great you're able to do 20miles a week! Gives me so much hope. Can I ask..what were your symptoms at the time? I have severe muscle ache/fatigue and feeling of heaviness - like when you have a virus, and I'm never sure whether I should push through it or not. Or even if that is withdrawal or I have a long term virus too, in which case very wary of just pushing through it.

Hey,

I was a collegiate powerlifter and I am still able to perform at a high level but I feel much more wiped out after hard workouts now, sometimes needing 48 hours or more to recover. Intense exercise and athletics put a lot of pressure on your nervous system, so it can rev up your symptoms, but it has never caused me a long term issue, just a shitty couple of days. I can play pickup basketball again too and I feel pretty good doing that. You'll get there. I think its good to push yourself through it and test your limits to see what you can handle doing regularly. How long has it been since you completely jumped?

Hey, thanks for your message. Apologies for the delayed reply. I'm glad you're able to do something, I think exercise is really important in dealing with this.

It's been 3 years since I stopped the drug cold turkey. However I was self medicating with alcohol up to 3 months ago (not had anything alcoholic since). I didn't realise I was going through benzo withdrawal (didn't even know it was a thing) but was finding alcohol was helping me. A couple of glasses of wine would allow me to go out and about but I could never understand it. I was open with the doctors and they weren't concerned about the amount but still, it wasn't normal(!). My current doctor said it was probably acting a substitute drug, so I feel I've effectively been tapering, with alcohol instead of a Benzo, and I guess could consider 3 months is when I jumped off if you look at it that way.

May I ask..do you have to push through symptoms to exercise or is it more the post-exercise effect you have to deal with?

My fatigue put the kibosh on my Pickleball playing. I was just too 💤. Now I’m back but going slower than before. I used to play 12 hours a week and now I’m at six hours. If I get tired before that I just leave. It does give you a workout.

Sorry for the late reply. 6 hours is still a lot! Congratulations!! Hopefully you'll gradually be able to build back up to 12 hours