Author Topic: Anyone who's recovered/near recovery able to play sports?  (Read 131 times)

[Buddie]

Anyone who's recovered/near recovery able to play sports?
« on: June 09, 2019, 04:59:10 pm »
I used to play at a reasonably high level of soccer but haven't been able to do any exercise for 3 years due to withdrawal. To add insult to injury I've put on weight because of it too and feel very unfit.
I'm so determined to get fit again, get back playing soccer and never take the ability to do this for granted again.
However I don't know how to navigate this. If it's a bad idea to push yourself, or necessary. If I should be more patient until I feel 100% recovered. (I'd say I'm at 65%/70% recovered) or if pushing myself now will expedite recovery.

Has anyone been in this position where they've been able to regain their athleticism? Do you have any advice?
Thanks
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Anyone who's recovered/near recovery able to play sports?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 12:53:53 pm »
I donít play team sports but Iím a runner. Also not fully recovered but getting there. At about 6 months off, I was able to start running again after daily walking. I started out slowly but naturally I started pushing myself and Iím up to about 20 miles a week now. If I had waited, I believe I wouldnít have recovered as quickly as I have.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Anyone who's recovered/near recovery able to play sports?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 11:15:45 pm »
Hey,

I was a collegiate powerlifter and I am still able to perform at a high level but I feel much more wiped out after hard workouts now, sometimes needing 48 hours or more to recover. Intense exercise and athletics put a lot of pressure on your nervous system, so it can rev up your symptoms, but it has never caused me a long term issue, just a shitty couple of days. I can play pickup basketball again too and I feel pretty good doing that. You'll get there. I think its good to push yourself through it and test your limits to see what you can handle doing regularly. How long has it been since you completely jumped?