Anxiety symptoms reappeared after drinking.

[me...]

Hey everyone. My issue is that as I begin to drift off to sleep I have massive rush of what I can only assume is anxiety that jerks me awake to begin the process over and over again. Any help understanding this would be appreciated. Is this be to related? I quit 8 months ago but got drunk last weekend. These types of nights felt like the norm when I first cold turkeyed.

Hi mercedesbenzo69 can you please descibe in detail what do you feel , i feel something like you in the exact moment i start to fall a sleep sum rush and chest press wake me up ........

Thanks

Yup! As I drift of into sleep a rush of anxiety floods my brain and chest. Im all tingly and alert. This process continues until I eventually pass out. I had this beaten until drinking 8 days ago.

It's considered a setback and it will pass. The rule of thumb is to wait about a year after feeling 100% before you start drinking again, to avoid this.

Hey everyone. My issue is that as I begin to drift off to sleep I have massive rush of what I can only assume is anxiety that jerks me awake to begin the process over and over again. Any help understanding this would be appreciated. Is this be to related? I quit 8 months ago but got drunk last weekend. These types of nights felt like the norm when I first cold turkeyed.

Alcohol goes to the same place in our brains the benzos do; it's wise not to mess with it too much.

Personally, I occasionally indulge, but always stop at 2. I had 3 once and it made my brain feel very strange. It freaked me out for sure. It's not worth it to me to play with my healing and recovery.

Be very careful with yourself!

Do you have any literature on hypnic jerks? Any information would be appreciated. I sleep well until something stressful is happening the next day.

• 1 month later...

It's considered a setback and it will pass. The rule of thumb is to wait about a year after feeling 100% before you start drinking again, to avoid this.

Following, as I too want to know how long it takes before you can drink alcohol again. A year out from my taper would be alright, as I don't drink that much anyway. I'm a social drinker, not a drink to get hammered guy, and would like to get a ballpark figure of how long out from a taper should you wait until having a drink. I know some members avoid alcohol altogether, but I like to have a chill with mates every now and again.

Rule of thumb is about a year after you feel healed. Alcohol also affects the same receptors as benzos, so it's essentially like popping a benzo when you drink.

Rule of thumb is about a year after you feel healed. Alcohol also affects the same receptors as benzos, so it's essentially like popping a benzo when you drink.

Yeah, I heard some docs call Valium: "alcohol in a pill".

The only time alcohol is deadly is if you purposely abuse it time and time again, and get obliterated day after day after day, or if you are dumb enough to drink and drive. A social "binge" is not likely to be lethal, unless there is a stupid amount of alcohol/blood in your system (I'm talking 20-30 times over 0.05% alc/vol).  However, if you continue to consume alcohol daily, your body becomes weaker and less resistant to its effects, much the same as benzos. In extreme cases with alcohol, delirium tremens can set in. This is what makes alcohol deadly, as well as seizures which can result from alcohol poisoning. Another possibility is choking or respiratory failure whilst purging. Again, very extreme cases. So in this sense, alcohol withdrawals are worse than benzos.

I also heard where alcohol affects EVERY receptor in your system, not just GABA.