levothyroxine

[Co...]

I take levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. I've lost 35 pounds so my doctor lowered my medication based on blood tests. I was having many of the same symptoms associated with withdrawal. I'm continuing to have the symptoms and am wondering if I'm still taking too much levothyroxine or it's withdrawal. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hey there!

I know that this thread is old but I'm having a similar issue with replacement thyroid hormones!

I feel like I've been shot back into accute withdrawal but even worse

From what I've read, these symptoms could actually be due to an iron deficiency!

I'm having my iron tested this week and I would suggest that anybody with a similar reaction to replacement thyroid horomones do the same.

http://www.tiredthyroid.com/cofactors.html

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to report back (and possibly revive this thread lol) that I had my iron tested and I was NOT deficient.

I have no idea why I wasn't able to tolerate the replacement thyroid hormone, so if anybody has any insight or ideas I would love to hear them!

I was more or less bedridden with severe paranoia and I felt like I was losing my mind on thyroid meds

A lot of people do not do well on levothyroxine, especially as it only contains the inactive hormone of t4.  You need to t3 which is the active hormone.  Many people do much better on natural desiccated thyroid meds which is what I take myself plus a small dose of t3 take thru the day.

I still feel like utter shite and my fatigue is horrific and feel s like cfs, but many on here say they feel like they have cfs.  In fact my fatigue is worse now in my second year off than it was last year.

Just hope this passes soon as I can hardly bear this awful weakness day after day after day with no let up.

take care

ceejay