Need help during mirtazapine taper

[Pt...]

Hi everyone,

Anyone have experience with tapering remeron for sleep? Currently on 15mg for 1 month, now 2 months benzo free. Thanks in advance!

Welcome,

I tried it, albeit with other stuff still on board. Congrats on being benzo free.

All I can say is take it very slowly!  In the UK y can get syrup, but it's also soluble in gin etc if you want to do a liquid taper. Some have come off in weeks, but I believe th10% rule is a good start.

I failed --as agitation set in and I was not ready.

Best wishes in your quest

Forty  Aka Dick

Hi

I cut my 15mg tablet into quarters with a pill cutter and dropped every 10-12 days it wasn’t pleasant to say the least not as bad as benzo w/d but I did it that way and was ok after about 6-8 weeks, I didn’t know to much when I came off it and looking at it now I probably would have taken longer but it’s up to you see how you feel after the first cut and go by your body , everyone is different, I was still on diazepam at the time so this may have helped the taper ......... who knows but just go carefully and at your own pace it’s not a race even though I understand you just want off.

Take care

Thanks all for the advice.

Can I ask what were the main symptoms of the withdrawal? I read a lot of "generally feeling unwell, headaches" but was wondering if there are any other specific symptoms? I know everyone's different. I'm home full time on disability due to the benzo mess ands having ptsd. The mirtazapine has allowed me to rest and ease symptoms from the benzo withdrawal, so I will definitely be cautiously lowering the dosage. Would love a buddy too if anyone is also in a similar situation as me :)

Hi

Again everyone’s experience of w/d will be different so you may be totally fine or have minimal symptoms. I had jerks, brain zaps, headaches, blurry vision, loss of appetite ( which wasn’t a bad thing as I ate so much whilst on mirt) insomnia towards the end and anxiety spikes, like I said if I could do it again I probably would have gone slower but I found I stabilised about 7-8 days after each cut enough to drop again on days 10 or 12 , I’d say the remaining symptom that took a while to shift was insomnia but it did eventually settle until the diazepam taper / jump and to date.

Take your time and go with how you feel.........it’s not a race

• 2 weeks later...

I’m at 3.3mg. Tapering via liquid form I make with Ora-Plus syrup. Every time I cut I still sleep ok but feel like warmed over dog poop for 3 weeks and I’m cutting about every 3 weeks. Other six is upset gut. Mild nausea and cranky stomach. I’m about ready to “do it and get it over with” not sure if it would be any worse.

I am struggling with this too.  I'm benzo free, but still have 2 AD to taper off of.  I am trying to taper Mirtz and Prozac at the same time.  I'm doing 10% every 2 weeks.  I have done 2 cuts, and I'm really struggling.  My sleep is ok, but I am having terrible anxiety, suicidal ideation, and guilt and remorse.  I think I will just hold until I stabilize.  Has anyone else been polydrugged and trying to taper?  I am afraid I was going too fast, but I'm just so sick of being on this poison!!!!!

General advice on withdrawal sites is DO NOT drop two ADs at once. I tapered Diaz and Sero jump at same time and it was agony. I also reduced mirtazipine just after.

Humpty Dumpty fell off a wall. Have had to return to Diaz and mirtazipine back two months , though content to be off anti psychotic!

Most folk leave mirtazipine til last as it is good for sleep.

Best wishes

Dick

I'm so anxious to be off mirt. I feel like im still in benzo withdrawal though underneath, only been 2 months off. I kicked the Zoloft 4 days ago, also down to 7.5 mirt 2 weeks ago. So far nothing new on top of the already debilitating symptoms of benzo withdrawal. If anyone wants to be support buddies PM me :)

[85...]
If you are only 2 month benzo free the Remeron is masking a lot of benzo withdrawal symptoms. I am 6 months off and when I tried to taper benzo shit came back big time. I will wait at least a year symptom free before I taper off the Remeron. Remeron has been a life saver and it helps me lead a normal life.

Got it! Thanks so much for the advice. I'm just so shocked that my short term use led to these horrific symptoms. I was only on daily use for 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks for the taper. Then bam, I was completely disabled (mostly mental). Now I'm obsessed about knowing whether I truly have ptsd or benzo withdrawal..... sigh I guess time will tell

Mostly because of the debilitating symptoms of withdrawal in month 1(see sig). I was struggling with debilitating rumination, insomnia, and was even willing to take an antipsychotic to ease it up. I wasn't eating much and my pdoc decided to put me on remeron. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing or if I should've just tougher it out. Now I have to put up with another withdrawal that could be equally as bad

[85...]

Nothing is close to benzo withdrawal. Why rush getting off it if it’s helping ?

Trust me once you get off, all the benzo withdrawal will come back in full force.

Yep. I went to the hospital when I became suicidal on Xanax and they polydrugged me with Klonopin, Mirtz, and Prozac. Finally off benzos and now I’m stuck having to taper 2 ADs. I keep getting different opinions on what to do. I started tapering both at the same time and that is not going well. I’m going to hold at my current doses for several months until I stabilize. Sigh...

I want to stop taking Mirt too, but dr has told me to keep it at 15mg for the foreseeable future. He doesn’t explain why, just that I have to finish Benzo withdrawal first. I’m guessing that it helps with the symptoms and it does relieve some of the insomnia. I can’t really do two things at once so just doing what I’m told  8)

Rose

Most say that is the right approach from my reading of posts on here.

Sleep is so important.

Best wishes

Dick

But is mirt lengthening the healing for benzos by messing with more receptors? Even though it appears to be helping on the surface by making me fall asleep and drowsy during the day...