Few weeks off! Alcohol question!

[Un...]

So I've tapered very slowly the past few months and my symptoms are very mild after I jumped. I get slightly dizzy at times and i noticed that after drinking 3 or 4 days after i don't feel right. I'm extremely irritable and anxious. Has anyone experienced not being able to tolerate alcohol very well after tapering? I'm wondering how long it will be before i can have an occasional drink without it messing me up for days afterwards.

Thanks y'all.

Hi,

I have always heard that once you have trouble with and need to taper off any benzo that alcohol seems to trigger WD symptoms as they both are gabba agaonists.

So, IMO, just be thankful to get off benzos and leave that toxic alcohol alone. Avoid it like the plague.

If anyone else can chime in, please do.

Hi,

I have always heard that once you have trouble with and need to taper off any benzo that alcohol seems to trigger WD symptoms as they both are gabba agaonists.

So, IMO, just be thankful to get off benzos and leave that toxic alcohol alone. Avoid it like the plague.

If anyone else can chime in, please do.

I agree and if you do a search on this site you will see some that had a horrible setback from alcohol. It may be wise to leave the alcohol alone for now.

PG

People spend years of their lives in terror from these meds and you’re drinking that soon after jumping?

People spend years of their lives in terror from these meds and you’re drinking that soon after jumping?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[4f...]

So I've tapered very slowly the past few months and my symptoms are very mild after I jumped. I get slightly dizzy at times and i noticed that after drinking 3 or 4 days after i don't feel right. I'm extremely irritable and anxious. Has anyone experienced not being able to tolerate alcohol very well after tapering? I'm wondering how long it will be before i can have an occasional drink without it messing me up for days afterwards.

Thanks y'all.

OK folks, this is a support forum – not everyone realizes that alcohol can be a problem during benzo withdrawal and recovery.

Helping someone understand this possibility, which is what the OP’s question was about, is appropriate, but greeting an honest question with incredulity is not.

From what I've read, you should wait until you have been completely symptom-free for at least a few months...some folks say two years. It is an extremely bad idea to drink at all right now. Some folks don't even have the full withdrawal symptoms hit until they are a few weeks off the meds. You are playing with fire.

Thanks y'all.

OK folks, this is a support forum – not everyone realizes that alcohol can be a problem during benzo withdrawal and recovery.

Helping someone understand this possibility, which is what the OP’s question was about, is appropriate, but greeting an honest question with incredulity is not.

I'm glad you addressed the "tone" of one of the responses.  :thumbsup:

Well said -

I think people forget that we are all learning what we can and can not do through the taper and also once it is over.  Our CNS and brain have been through so much.  We hope that we can do things we used to do without any issues but sometimes our bodies are not ready.  The day will come.  Another thing to remember is that after you have gone through a long and slow taper, we want to celebrate and sometimes that means a drink or two, there is nothing wrong with wanting to do that.  To judge someone for having a drink a few days after the end of a horrible thing like benzo withdrawal and they make it through the taper and are doing ok is wrong.  Every one of us is different.  What might affect one person one way may affect someone else differently.

I did not think BB was about judging others - its supposed to be to support each other through the hell we are going through and how to recover once we have gotten the poison out of our system!!!

I really appreciate this info about alcohol.  I'm now off Xanax for 2 months.  During my taper I could drink a glass of wine without a problem.  Now that I'm 100% off Xanax, drinking a glass of wine is a problem.  I have stronger with withdrawal symptoms.  I guess I'm feeling that kindle effect related to the brain getting a taste of GABA?

I’d recommend not drinking at all until you’re completely healed for a while. I used to fall into the same pattern - drink, feel ok the next day, then slammed around 4 days after. 100% messing with GABA and acting on the same receptors. I haven’t drank in 1 year and might not ever drink again. When I heal from this I’m not doing ANYTHING that could possibly make me feel like this again.

I love a beer in the afternoon more than anything but my gastro doctor explained to me what it does a long time ago after I was RX'ed Librax , haven't had one in a long time. Now I have drank a alcohol free beer for the taste and probably shouldn't  have done that.

After I'm healed I'll drink some wine but in no hurry after the terrible taper.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to those who were supportive and informative. I do realize now that alcohol is bad and now exactly how bad it is. I thought I would be ok since I was ok during the taper with a few drinks but I have set learned my lesson. I have been through he'll too since the beginning of this year and the judgemental comments weren't appreciated. Alcohol used to relax me but I know now not to touch the stuff for a long long time. Anyways I'm paying for it now because my dizziness is way worse than before.  :-[:-\

Thanks to those who were supportive and informative. I do realize now that alcohol is bad and now exactly how bad it is. I thought I would be ok since I was ok during the taper with a few drinks but I have set learned my lesson. I have been through he'll too since the beginning of this year and the judgemental comments weren't appreciated. Alcohol used to relax me but I know now not to touch the stuff for a long long time. Anyways I'm paying for it now because my dizziness is way worse than before.  :-[:-\

I had two beers about a month ago because, like you, I wanted to get back to "normal." I was feeling so good, I didnt think it would hurt. I was wrong. It brought back my dizziness and lightheadedness again. Im just now, a month later, getting back to where I was before the beers. I do enjoy a beer or two occasionally, but Im putting that on hold for a while until Im symtom free for at least a year. I just wanted to let you know that it took me about a month to get back to feeling like I was before the two beers. Hopefully, youll strat feeling better again soon!

Take care,

Fp

Agree with above. I too would drink a couple of beers during my taper and no big deal. Then about 3.5 months out I would drink a few beers on Saturday and by Tuesday or Wednesday I would be in full anxiety attack. Stopped drinking and now sleeping better and so far its been a really good week.

But I cant wait to have a few beers...I do like them! Im thinking a year out and do a test run.

I would love to have an occasional drink to enjoy and relax however I know right now

that my system is so very raw that it will only cause terrible symptoms, heck even just a

couple of ice cream bars created problems for me I can only imagine what alcohol would do

to me at this point only 35 days off of Benzo's, our systems were steamrolled by these Benzos

and now it's time to heal, May God Bless all of us that are in the middle of our journey to peace

and freedom.

Eat & Drink Healthy Fellow Warriors !

Kindest Regards

Terry

I continually go to the best support I have found that specifically classifies drugs, alcohol, antibiotics and most drugs into GABA agonists, GABA antagonists (which is an

inverse agonist) PAMs) Positive allosteric modulators of the GABA-a and b neurotransmitters.  People hardly ever are given a true GABA agonist drug.  Most are

PAMs and the worst ones that really set us back are NAMs (negative allosteric modulators).

Here is a link to get you going if you really are interested.. This is a Wikipedia link an at the bottom in blue you can click on the actual drug list that tells what each drug is and how it is categorized.  You can also look up NAMs, and find the list at the bottom in blue also. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA_receptor_agonist

I hope you can all understand better how these drugs are actually effecting us.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the information! 

Unfortunately, I don't have a degree in chemistry and therefore, it's all Greek (or worse) to me.

I continually go to the best support I have found that specifically classifies drugs, alcohol, antibiotics and most drugs into GABA agonists, GABA antagonists (which is an

inverse agonist) PAMs) Positive allosteric modulators of the GABA-a and b neurotransmitters.  People hardly ever are given a true GABA agonist drug.  Most are

PAMs and the worst ones that really set us back are NAMs (negative allosteric modulators).

Here is a link to get you going if you really are interested.. This is a Wikipedia link an at the bottom in blue you can click on the actual drug list that tells what each drug is and how it is categorized.  You can also look up NAMs, and find the list at the bottom in blue also. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA_receptor_agonist

I hope you can all understand better how these drugs are actually effecting us.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery.

I read the link. It was very educational. Thanks for sharing. :smitten:

I had a major setback 4 weeks ago that resulted from drinking beer. Didn’t drink much at all. Didn’t get drunk or anything, and I’m still not back to where I was before I drank. Steer clear of alcohol. You’re playing with fire when you drink it.

Well said my friend.  We might as well bite off a piece of our benzo and relax with that.  Same neurotransmitter PAM.

Cheers with an O'douls

Klonkar

• 2 weeks later...

I had a major setback 4 weeks ago that resulted from drinking beer. Didn’t drink much at all. Didn’t get drunk or anything, and I’m still not back to where I was before I drank. Steer clear of alcohol. You’re playing with fire when you drink it.

Great advice. I hope people listen.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Stay clear from alcohol until you will recovery, this is my advice.

Of course we are all different.

But from my experience, I tryed to get back to alcohol at 16 months off (I was feeling better, more comfortable). It was only 1 glass of wine during the meal, not every day. But after one month I felt tired and disturb. For the first time, I had gastric issues, very bad, and 3 months after a huge set back. I decided to stop at this time, until now. Today I just taste few gulps of wine, only during a meal and very seldom. I realized that my CNS is very very sensible, not only with alcohol, so it is better for me to stay patient...