Is it ok to take Beta Blockers?!

[Be...]

Is it a good/ok thing to take beta blockers to combat anxiety and hypertension during protracted withdrawal (PAWS)?!

Is it a good/ok thing to take beta blockers to combat anxiety and hypertension during protracted withdrawal (PAWS)?!

If they make you feel better and soothe some of the physical sxs of withdrawal, then I would say that's a good thing!

It's not a dangerous drug, not like the benzos! But it can cause dependency just like any other pill. For me it has interfered with the benzo symptoms and added to them. But if you need it for hypertension, you need it. It doesn't really help my benzo anxiety - maybe it would for you.

At some point, hopefully, you won't need them and can taper off - first slowly to see how you do.

You can get different types of beta blockers. There’s the type that take a couple of weeks to build up in your system and there’s fast acting ones that don’t need to build up. I’ve  heard of people having the quick onset (Propranolol) prn.

You can get different types of beta blockers. There’s the type that take a couple of weeks to build up in your system and there’s fast acting ones that don’t need to build up. I’ve  heard of people having the quick onset (Propranolol) prn.

So which beta blocker is best with least side effects you think?

At some point, hopefully, you won't need them and can taper off - first slowly to see how you do.

That is exactly what I worry about!

Will beta blockers hinder my healing, or even worse, cause their own damage, just like benzos did?! Or will they just help me go through withdrawal comfortably and safely and when I'm healed hopefully I won't need them anymore?

Cuz see I took benzos just to overcome a stressful anxious phase in my life, then it turned out that benzos caused me to develop a real anxiety condition and I never came out of it!

I'm affraid beta blockers will do the same and cause me this condition that I will have to deal with in the future!

I wish I knew if which, if any would be better. I’ve asked a few Drs their opinions regarding beta blockers and received conflicting advice. One psychiatrist was steadfastly against them as he said they cause depression. One GP said they are safe, another GP said don’t take them. A pharmacist said that they are not good to take as they mask low blood sugar. So, for me I’ve never been given a consistent answer. It sounds like they can be useful in whatever form, but likely for extreme circumstances - just an observation. People with high blood pressure/other chronic disease have to take them lifelong. I guess it’s what your caregiver feels best.

Hoping you find the answer  :)

Rose x

That is exactly what I worry about!

Will beta blockers hinder my healing, or even worse, cause their own damage, just like benzos did?! Or will they just help me go through withdrawal comfortably and safely and when I'm healed hopefully I won't need them anymore?

Cuz see I took benzos just to overcome a stressful anxious phase in my life, then it turned out that benzos caused me to develop a real anxiety condition and I never came out of it!

I'm affraid beta blockers will do the same and cause me this condition that I will have to deal with in the future!

Look, no pill is without side effects, and if you read the side effects for beta blockers, the list is long. They're not like benzos, so you won't have to worry about that. But one thing I've learned is that benzos don't really get along with other pills.

Is your bp really high? Is a doctor prescribing pills?

I don't know why the beta blockers did nothing for my high anxiety. Low level, yes, but not the type I had. I ended up in the ER more times than I want to count, and my bp was very high even though I was taking the pills.

I wish I knew if which, if any would be better. I’ve asked a few Drs their opinions regarding beta blockers and received conflicting advice. One psychiatrist was steadfastly against them as he said they cause depression. One GP said they are safe, another GP said don’t take them. A pharmacist said that they are not good to take as they mask low blood sugar. So, for me I’ve never been given a consistent answer. It sounds like they can be useful in whatever form, but likely for extreme circumstances - just an observation. People with high blood pressure/other chronic disease have to take them lifelong. I guess it’s what your caregiver feels best.

Rose x

Thanks Rose, your answer by itself is an informative enough answer.

Unless you have asthma, beta blockers are usually very safe drugs.

Will they cause me to develop asthma as a condition?

Rose x

You never healed after the benzo?? 😢

Purple,

I’m at three months into taper from Valium. I was on it for just over two years after being on Xanax for about a year (memory still not good). The withdrawal symptoms are cycling and fairly strong still so I’m staying on 1mg V for the time being. My next step is to jump (eek) or micro-reduce, but I’m not symptom free enough yet. My panic attacks give me rapid heart rate to the point of pass out, so that’s where I get my interest in beta blockers.

Rose

X

Unless you have asthma, beta blockers are usually very safe drugs.

Will they cause me to develop asthma as a condition?

No, they won't.

Purple,

I’m at three months into taper from Valium. I was on it for just over two years after being on Xanax for about a year (memory still not good). The withdrawal symptoms are cycling and fairly strong still so I’m staying on 1mg V for the time being. My next step is to jump (eek) or micro-reduce, but I’m not symptom free enough yet. My panic attacks give me rapid heart rate to the point of pass out, so that’s where I get my interest in beta blockers.

Rose

X

Sorry, Rose. I meant that question for BenzoCalamity. I take propranolol 10 mg 3x per day. It helps with the rapid heart beat and palpitations, but it only takes the edge off.

Rose x

You never healed after the benzo?? 😢

Purpleheart18,

Improved a lot but not yet healed!

One day I will be healed, God willing.

Hello

I have propranolol 40mg tablets , I take one if my anxiety is through the roof, they do take the edge off, I only take if I’m feeling overwhelmed with anxiety, I wouldn’t want to rely on them so I’m very strict about taking them , maybe once or twice a week sometimes recently, they act within about 20 minutes.

They work very well for my anxiety.  Although I try not to take them, because they give me diarrhea.  I think if taken occasionally with a low dose they should be OK.