Beta Blockers for Anger/Anxiety

[bo...]

My therapist recommends trying beta blockers for anger and anxiety. Has anybody heard of this? She said they are the most benign medication I could try.

They do take the physical edge off anxiety, after all they nuke adrenaline in a way. 

Might help you.

In the uk surgeons take them pre long ops or used to!

Dick

Yes, there is usually some withdrawal when you stop (nothing like benzos though).  Like anything else, once your body becomes used to a medication, it relies on it.  I used these during my withdrawal to slow my heart rate; they worked well, and it wasn't hard coming

off of them.

Thank you for responding. I don't have a rapid heart rate, is the thing. My therapist suggested it for anger. I don't really understand that.

I don't think I'd take it for anger. It isn't designed for that. They can cause a host of problems. And they can interact with the benzo symptoms.

Anger is a part of benzo withdrawal/recovery. If you can exercise, that would help to alleviate the anger. Or write in a journal or distract yourself in some way. But to take a pill?

I take a bunch of beta blockers, and they sure didn't stop my anger. But that's just me.

No, there is no withdrawal or dependency, in the real sense.

But, because your body has made an adjustment to its presence, there can be rebound if you were takingt them regularly, and stop suddenly.  The beta blocker has "artificially" dialed down some normal physical levels, and when you stop, your body's natural homeostasis can respond by overshooting.

If you take them regularly, a short taper is recommended, but there are no withdrawal symptoms in the usual sense of the word.

I certainly get withdrawal symptoms, particularly anxiety, as the bp pills tend to cause that when they wear off, for me, anyway. You can definitely get rebound. If I go slowly, I don't even feel withdrawal, and that's the way I like to do it.

Is your bp high? Is your heart rate high? Because if they aren't, beta blockers can cause your bp to be low and cause your heart rate to go low.

No, my heart rate is fine. I probably won't start them. I will just keep waiting it out and praying I get better.