Desperate to quit Benzos

[Mo...]

Hello, 71 y/o female on .25mg Clonazepam for several years.

Post traumatic stress (health related) and subsequent chronic insomnia took me down this dark path. Happy to have found this forum and can only hope to find answers and support from others dealing with this challenge.

Hello MollyB,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! I see you are determined to make some changes in terms of your benzo use, good for you. Long term benzo use can contribute to cognitive and memory issues. Those of us at a 'mature' age need to do whatever is necessary to retain these important parts of our wellbeing.

Since you've taken clonazepam for several years it will be important to taper off slowly. This can help to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. Of course, it's important to listen to your body and adjust the rate if necessary. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

We'll be happy to support and encourage you as you journey to be benzo free. The process can be challenging for some of us, but in in my opinion, it's well worth the effort. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans   

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

• 2 weeks later...