Distressed

[sc...]

i joined benzobuddies because i started having what i later learned to be withdrawal symptoms and couldn’t find answers/people talking online much about benzodiazepine withdrawal.

i have been taking clonazepam for about 2 years at dosages that have ranged from 0.5 mg to 3mg/day. i also take 50mg of paroxetine and recently started 18mg of strattera. i’ve changed my morning routine (i have GAD and depression) and for the past couple of months have been getting up early to smoke weed before my day and that, in combo with the added strattera, seemed to, for the past couple of weeks, really lower my morning anxiety and i felt really great. let me back up a bit.

i have been stressed these past couple of months (despite feeling a decrease in my overall anxiety) because of work, so on particularly anxiety-ridden days, i would take 3mg throughout the day instead of 2.5mg. so i’m currently out of klonopin and can’t get the refill until tuesday and during my last appointment my doctor lowered my dose from 2.5 to 2 so i was already distressed.

the past couple of days i have been experiencing off and on bursts of panic attacks, chest tight, can hardly take a breath, and then a few hours later the tightening of my chest lessens and i’m talking myself back to reality, as best as i can. to get me through my next refill on tuesday, i’m resorting to benadryl.

i’d love to hear how y’all deal with withdrawal, how it manifests for you, and how long it took you, or is taking you, to taper off or get off benzodiazepines.

thanks,

s

For the sake of our membership, all references to self harm and/or harming others have been removed from this thread. Please click on the following link if you are thinking about suicide, self-harm, or harming others: Self Harm and Ideation - Revised Policy

Hello scomrade :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community.  Sorry you are having a rough time. Cold turkey can bring on some very severe symptoms,  can you make an appointment today to see your doctor?  You could go to the nearest ER , explain what’s happened, they should give you some clonazepam, at least enough until your doctor’s appointment tomorrow.  You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

Benzodiazepines need to be tapered off slowly.  The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Some need to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Other Medications     

We have  dedicated boards dealing with Anxiety and Depression issues, I'll leave you links, so you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

Depression       

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

• 2 weeks later...