Coffee

[fr...]

Hey all!

Recently I started taking Abilify 1mg to help with anxiety since my failed attempt to quickly taper from clonazepam. I felt so great that I re-introduced coffee into my life as a way to stay awake to study for my medical school entrance exam, the MCAT. Now I’m experiencing some of the symptoms I had When. I rapidly Tapered off, like morning nausea and vomiting, needing to move my feet, intrusive thoughts.

Hilariously, I tapered up on the caffeine. First with a splashes of regular in a cup of decaf, then half-caf. Now full. I noticed a worsening steadily. I just really need to study for this exam so I can Get into med school haha.

Thoughts? Is it the coffee or am I just being dramatic?

Free 

Totally normal to be revved up by coffee, even decaf.

I get these type of symptoms also when I drink coffee but now the waves don’t last super long and are not as scary as before.

Sensibilities fade with time  :thumbsup:

I've had to work and work with coffee. I love it, but having too much too soon can really cause problems. It's taken me a long time to get where I am today because my body is very sensitive and I'm prone to anxiety.

Keeping a journal on it is a good idea. You can see what works and what doesn't.

Going slowly is the best bet.

You could try Green Tea instead.

It contains less Caffeine and has less impact on cognitive functions.

Fresh air can also be great for staying awake without the nasty side effects of Caffeine, although it is a short lived boost.

Some people I know swear by L-tyrosine.  They say it makes them feel alert and focused.  I looked it up and it seems to boost dopamine, so that does make sense.  I've not tried it myself.  I think I have way too much dopamine already.

So, does the coffee actually help you study?

• 3 weeks later...

Not really.

I’ve stopped the coffee completely and I’m doing much better :)

I’ve reintroduced exercise and that seems to help.

How long did it take you to feel better, free?

And were you drinking one cup of coffee daily? Did you build up to that or just right away start with one cup?

I'm having problems, too. I need to take time off of it because my bp starts going berserk and I start feeling some anxiety. I'm chiefly worried about my bp, though.

Some people I know swear by L-tyrosine.  They say it makes them feel alert and focused.  I looked it up and it seems to boost dopamine, so that does make sense.  I've not tried it myself.  I think I have way too much dopamine already.

So, does the coffee actually help you study?

L-tyrosine has helped me a lot during the BZD WD, at least I think so. But I also take fluoxetine. L-tyrosine improves mood and alertness. I take 500 mg twice a day.

How long did it take you to feel better, free?

And were you drinking one cup of coffee daily? Did you build up to that or just right away start with one cup?

I'm having problems, too. I need to take time off of it because my bp starts going berserk and I start feeling some anxiety. I'm chiefly worried about my bp, though.

I think L Arginine helps with high BP.  It helped me when mine went up.

Kindly,

j

I've heard that both L Tyrosine and Coffee give a little dopamine boost.  I'm trying to drink just 1/2 cup daily for this reason.  I even heard a health freak guy say coffee is good for dopamine, but just don't drink too much.  I take 500mg of L Tyrosine twice per day, too.  Some get revved with coffee, some don't.  I think it's more of an individual thing.

Kindly,

j